Does anyone still teach 12 hands of the tiger?

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok. This is how I have 12 hands of the tiger:

Bow. Step out with the right foot to a horse stance, rotate the hands to an open handed on guard.

1. strike with a downward claw to the face, with the left hand on top and the right hand guarding the ribs (directly towards the left hand side). Rake the face, pull the hands in towards the body and restrike towards the left side.

2. repeat the pattern on the right side.

3. upward palm, with the right hand, to the front, chin height. leave the strike out.

4. left upward palm, to the front, chin height.

5. right inverted tigers claw to the groin, grab, rolling backfist to the face.

6. left inverted tigers claw to the groin, grab, rolling backfist to the face.

7. tigers trap on the right side (think of a dragon trap and make tiger's claws instead)

8. tigers trap on the left side.

9. towards the front left side, tiger rake block with the left, pass with the right hand, and tiger palm strike with the left to the face.

10. swith sides. front right side, tiger rake block with the right, pass with the left, and tiger palm strike with the right to the face.

11. dragons claw (the pointer and middle finger strike), right hand on top, towards the face while left hand checks the ribs, towards the right.

12. switch to the left side.

roll the hands into the center, back into a chamber, and bow.

Any questions?

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. This is how I have 12 hands of the tiger:

Bow. Step out with the right foot to a horse stance, rotate the hands to an open handed on guard.

1. strike with a downward claw to the face, with the left hand on top and the right hand guarding the ribs (directly towards the left hand side). Rake the face, pull the hands in towards the body and restrike towards the left side.

2. repeat the pattern on the right side.

3. upward palm, with the right hand, to the front, chin height. leave the strike out.

4. left upward palm, to the front, chin height.

5. right inverted tigers claw to the groin, grab, rolling backfist to the face.

6. left inverted tigers claw to the groin, grab, rolling backfist to the face.

7. tigers trap on the right side (think of a dragon trap and make tiger's claws instead)

8. tigers trap on the left side.

9. towards the front left side, tiger rake block with the left, pass with the right hand, and tiger palm strike with the left to the face.

10. swith sides. front right side, tiger rake block with the right, pass with the left, and tiger palm strike with the right to the face.

11. dragons claw (the pointer and middle finger strike), right hand on top, towards the face while left hand checks the ribs, towards the right.

12. switch to the left side.

roll the hands into the center, back into a chamber, and bow.

Any questions?

Do you mind terribly if I add this to the online technique archive?

I tried it and some of the transitions seem a smidge...clunky. Are the rights and lefts in the correct order?

Thanks,

Matt

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't mind at all. PM me and I will do my best for transitions.

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
Regarding the Masters blocking system. I had it a very long time ago, when do have the professor making it up and which seminar was this? Curious to know how long I got it after he made it up! lol

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Regarding the Masters blocking system. I had it a very long time ago, when do have the professor making it up and which seminar was this? Curious to know how long I got it after he made it up! lol

LOL! I have it happening very late 80's, early 90's, right after the breakup.

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
regarding Masters blocking. I've been taught many applications of it including techniques starting with the various blocks and been teaching it as well- I find it a very effective system. Though of course not a be all end all blocking system it is a great addition to any martial artists arsenal in my opinion.

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Interesting, cause I believe the Villari system teaches it as well, at least I've seen a Villari based 5th Dan BB doing it, but who knows where he got it.

They don't teach it as a part of the curriculum. They also don't have northern and southern tigers in the system, but the school in lake forest does for FV. Where did he get it?

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
regarding Masters blocking. I've been taught many applications of it including techniques starting with the various blocks and been teaching it as well- I find it a very effective system. Though of course not a be all end all blocking system it is a great addition to any martial artists arsenal in my opinion.

Was anyone ever told any focuces for Master's Blocking System. I.E. Long Range, Short Range, Deflecting, Etc.

Hope this Message finds you in good health and spirits
SK101

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Was anyone ever told any focuces for Master's Blocking System. I.E. Long Range, Short Range, Deflecting, Etc.

SK101

Went thru it with Master Black in a workout one morning. Don't remember though. Sorry.

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score

SK101

If your looking for a good blocking and striking art check out a wing chun school.

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
Master's blocking can be broken down in different parts and it covers a variety of applications.

One of the focuses being on moving with your blocks. There are also trapping techniques and grab defenses and guard work. I really do like it as an addition to the other blocking systems. You can work some really great drill from it as well.

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Master's blocking can be broken down in different parts and it covers a variety of applications.

One of the focuses being on moving with your blocks. There are also trapping techniques and grab defenses and guard work. I really do like it as an addition to the other blocking systems. You can work some really great drill from it as well.

Ok. You can work moving and blocking without moving. It's called innovative body movement. However, I have seen the triple one man pattycake block used effectively during a russian hat dance. It was like a holy alliance of larry tatum n and michael flatly. I made sure I taught my students to have that important concept.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The first half or so, Or so how I remember it.

1. Fancy schmany chinese kung fu bow
2. Horse stance (the chinese one where you are more standing than squatting)
3a. Left foot steps behind right while executing a left hand parry to the right, follow up a right knife block to the right. Left hand protects the ribs through this entire sequence.
3b. Execute a verticle right ridge hand block (palm facing you, fingers pointing up, done by rotating the wrist counter clockwise)
3c. Right tigers mouth block to the opponents wrist (done by rotating the palm to the right clockwise.
3d. Press down with back of right hand while hand is forming leopard paw (palm up, fingers pointing to your right).
3e. Right upword elbow block to cover head
3f. Right down elbow block to cover ribs.

Repeat enitre sequence for left side.

I kind of kungfused myself on the middle section. I'll probably remember it while I'm at work... man, I haven't does this form since 98.

Latest Discussions