Shaolin Kempo Masters Missing?

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
hey,

does anyone know what happened to Art Singer, Rudy Horne, Larry Mangione, Scott Woods, Bill Mailman and/or Bob Huckens? They have all magically disappeared...

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey,

does anyone know what happened to Art Singer, Rudy Horne, Larry Mangione, Scott Woods, Bill Mailman and/or Bob Huckens? They have all magically disappeared...

Mailman is still around. John Bishop was in touch with him a couple of months ago.

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's cool! Do you know what he's up to? What about the others? Anyone know where they went?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Scott Woods was here in the San Francisco bay area, in Oakland, a few years ago. He had a few schools going in the area, and tried to recruit me to teach in one of them. I declined.

Shortly thereafter I notice the schools were closing down. I think he eventually sold off whatever was still running, don't know what he is doing now. There might have been legal problems attached to the activity, but I'm not sure.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Scott Woods was here in the San Francisco bay area, in Oakland, a few years ago. He had a few schools going in the area, and tried to recruit me to teach in one of them. I declined.

Shortly thereafter I notice the schools were closing down. I think he eventually sold off whatever was still running, don't know what he is doing now. There might have been legal problems attached to the activity, but I'm not sure.

Was this back in 1997? I remember a district manager telling me he was embezling or something. I didn't think much of it though because those guy would automatically **** talk like crazy if you left USSD.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Was this back in 1997? I remember a district manager telling me he was embezling or something. I didn't think much of it though because those guy would automatically **** talk like crazy if you left USSD.

yeah, 1997 or so sounds about right, maybe a bit later, probably before 2000 anyways.

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Master Scott Woods left in 98

that sounds about right because I went to a Karate International tournament in like June of 98 in San Francisco...I took home 2 tropheys that day! 2nd in weapons and first in kata's. Nice bunch of people.

KENPOJOE

Brown Belt
Reaction score
hey,

Hi folks!
You brought up some of the old timers as far as Art Singer,Rudy Horne,and Larry Mangone are concerned!
I remember them all from my early days in Fred Villari's original USSD from the early 1970's. Art Singer actually taught for a short time at the Fairhaven USSD in the 1970's after my original instructor, {fred}Ed Hosmer left that location. Larry Mangone, who opened the Brockton USSD and had such students as Al Cunningham [who would later go on to create the NEKICK organization] and John Foster,Perhaps you can get Prof. Cunningham [meijin10] to answer about Mr. Mangone's present whereabouts. I know Mr. Mangone was involved in tai chi later in his career.
Rudy Horne was one of the co-founders of the Original USSD along with Fred Villari in the early 1970s. He is listed on all my old USSD certificates. One of my instructors has old footage of rudy horne performing 2 pinan in the fairhaven studio. I beleive he's still alive and possibly in real estate.
Thanks for bringing up old names and old memories!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks!
You brought up some of the old timers as far as Art Singer,Rudy Horne,and Larry Mangone are concerned!
I remember them all from my early days in Fred Villari's original USSD from the early 1970's. Art Singer actually taught for a short time at the Fairhaven USSD in the 1970's after my original instructor, {fred}Ed Hosmer left that location. Larry Mangone, who opened the Brockton USSD and had such students as Al Cunningham [who would later go on to create the NEKICK organization] and John Foster,Perhaps you can get Prof. Cunningham [meijin10] to answer about Mr. Mangone's present whereabouts. I know Mr. Mangone was involved in tai chi later in his career.
Rudy Horne was one of the co-founders of the Original USSD along with Fred Villari in the early 1970s. He is listed on all my old USSD certificates. One of my instructors has old footage of rudy horne performing 2 pinan in the fairhaven studio. I beleive he's still alive and possibly in real estate.
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

Thanks for filling the gaps Kempojoe!

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

Thanks Joe! I of course now have more Master's that have "gone missing." What happened to...

Bob Huckins
Harvey Thaler

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi folks!
BEGOOD,
KENPOJOE

Do you know why Master Rudy Horn left?

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
During the mid 70's the USSD was reorganized, many were placed in positions of power, Rudy was excluded. The next reorganization formed the FVSSD.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was told that after he left Rudy moved out of the area, to Rhode Island or Conn. I have been told that he is back in my area, I will contact some of my way back friends and ask them if Rudy is back or not.

Latest Discussions