Does anyone still teach 12 hands of the tiger?

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I learned a blocking system from an ex villari guy in NH, and was wondering, does anyone else still teach 12 hands of the tiger? USSD and Fred Villari's studios don't...

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
12 hands of the tiger is a blocking system that used to be taught in the shaolin kempo system. I have it and was just wondering if anyone teaches it anymore.

bill007

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I learned a blocking system from an ex villari guy in NH, and was wondering, does anyone else still teach 12 hands of the tiger? USSD and Fred Villari's studios don't...

8 point blocking system, 8 point blocking with natural strikes, 8 point with open hands, 8 point open hands with natural strikes, 10 point blocking system, and plum tree but never heard of a 12 hands of the tiger sorry...

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
8 point blocking system, 8 point blocking with natural strikes, 8 point with open hands, 8 point open hands with natural strikes, 10 point blocking system, and plum tree but never heard of a 12 hands of the tiger sorry...

It was taught before. The guy I learned it from was with Villari's n the 80's. Villari's doesn't teach all the open hand stuff with the 8 point blocking as something specific. It's "not in the system" as they put it, however, they do it as a thinking exercise which is kind of cool.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The first part of the 10 point blocking system can be found in Mas Oyama's book, which leads me to believe that's where Cerio got it from since we know he took some forms from that book.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
do you have a vid. of the 12 hands of the tiger? I used to have what they called the Sun Flower Blocking System and the Iron Fortress Blocking system which were higher up blocking systems. I also know that Prof. Ingargiola does a Dragon Blocking System I believe at 3rd degree.
In Peace
Jesse

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I actually have it written down. I honestly just wanted to see if anyone else out there has it.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's see ...
8-point (closed, open)
Iron Fortress (closed, open)
10-point
Plum Tree
Master's Blocking System
... I believe that in the order learned as well. Oh, and I am getting a bit older, I may be forgetting something I learn way back when ... Don't recall hearing of "12 hands of the tiger" ... would like to see it though

Scherazade

White Belt
Reaction score
I was taught 12 Hands of the Tiger when I reached black belt in Villari Shaolin Kempo Karate. We were taught the practical application of the blocks and then my master explained that this system is used in a form called Wounded Tiger taught later on in the system. He demonstrated how it looked in the form and it looked pretty cool (and brutal).

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ok as I have em.

8 point (closed, open and counterstrikes to both sets)
Iron fortress (closed and open)
10 point
plum tree
16 palms of budha (why can't I ever spell buhda? lol)
Masters blocking system

I've heard of others and have bits and pieces to others and many techniques with first blocks that aren't in any of these blocking systems.( maybe I should create my own blocking system to implement all of those?)

I've heard of tiger blocking and a 21 palms blocking system. what is the first blocks of the 12 hands of the tiger? maybe that's one of those that I partially know.

KempoShaun

Green Belt
Reaction score
have it, taught it, applications are fun. Learned it from Mark Grupposo, Rob Whitney and Hugh Mclauflin (anyone know what happened to Hugh, he was a 5th in Mass.?) lots of palm strikes that look like tiger claws, upward inverted blocks, etc...

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok as I have em.

8 point (closed, open and counterstrikes to both sets)
Iron fortress (closed and open)
10 point
plum tree
16 palms of budha (why can't I ever spell buhda? lol)
Masters blocking system

I've heard of others and have bits and pieces to others and many techniques with first blocks that aren't in any of these blocking systems.( maybe I should create my own blocking system to implement all of those?)

I've heard of tiger blocking and a 21 palms blocking system. what is the first blocks of the 12 hands of the tiger? maybe that's one of those that I partially know.

Masters blocking system was made up by Mr. Mattera for a Seminar...right before a seminar.