Does anyone still teach 12 hands of the tiger?

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey say what you will about it but masters blocking is a good system. lol It's not the best but it is full of great applications. somebody punch me and I'll show you how it works! lol

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey say what you will about it but masters blocking is a good system. lol It's not the best but it is full of great applications. somebody punch me and I'll show you how it works! lol

Hey iron leopard, who is your instructor? What if someone is going to do something beside a punch from a half moon stance with a kiai? What about a kick? Knee? Elbow strike? Wrestling type takedown? How does masters blocking address that? To be honest, I started this thread to see if anyone has any insights to 12 hands of the tiger, not to debate the effectiveness of masters blocking system. However, let's do that...let's debate the brilliance of Masters blocking system...or better yet, since there is soooo much application then YOU should make a thread devoted to it. Be sure to include applications that are not just about someone punching in with a front punch to the sternum. Even though they are the only attacks you recognize as a "nidan" they are not the only ones that will happen in the street.

An opinion I heard about why people like this blocking system and it's beacause master is in the title. They think they are a master because of it. I tend to agree after reading that post.

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
whoa! Ok just so you know where I stand on blocking systems.

I teach and train with 8 point blocking, plum tree blocking, ten point blocking and of course "masters blocking' and all of my combos and kempo techniques as follows.

from right handed punching stance and kia, but also from left handed stance, double punches, as grabs instead of punches, in dragon circles and gauntlets, moving forward and backwards, with mutliple attackers( maybe 1 guy on each side of me punching whenever they feel like it) also as one guy grabbing my hand and the other guy punching etc.

If you have masters blocking system or even plum tree for that matter you will see that both are great against grabls and multiple attackers. whew!

and gufbal I hope you practice the same way and with even more variations in your training like I do! now....how about teaching me 12 hands of the tiger?

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
whoa! Ok just so you know where I stand on blocking systems.

I teach and train with 8 point blocking, plum tree blocking, ten point blocking and of course "masters blocking' and all of my combos and kempo techniques as follows.

from right handed punching stance and kia, but also from left handed stance, double punches, as grabs instead of punches, in dragon circles and gauntlets, moving forward and backwards, with mutliple attackers( maybe 1 guy on each side of me punching whenever they feel like it) also as one guy grabbing my hand and the other guy punching etc.

If you have masters blocking system or even plum tree for that matter you will see that both are great against grabls and multiple attackers. whew!

and gufbal I hope you practice the same way and with even more variations in your training like I do! now....how about teaching me 12 hands of the tiger?
The fact that it took you two weeks to respond proves my point to a tee. That's really nice that you "train" with people that only wear a belt in your system...am I right?

Actually, I do train with more variations than you could possibly imagine. You should try training with people from outside systems. Chances are that you will not be attacked by one of your students or friends from inside the system. Train with someone that actually trains in BJJ, Kickboxing, a taiji master, freestyle wrestling, and so on. When you actually do this and open your mind then come talk to me. Until then, have fun living in your kempo box.

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
The fact that it took you two weeks to respond proves my point to a tee. That's really nice that you "train" with people that only wear a belt in your system...am I right?

Actually, I do train with more variations than you could possibly imagine. You should try training with people from outside systems. Chances are that you will not be attacked by one of your students or friends from inside the system. Train with someone that actually trains in BJJ, Kickboxing, a taiji master, freestyle wrestling, and so on. When you actually do this and open your mind then come talk to me. Until then, have fun living in your kempo box.

Haha!! smack down.

Iron Leopard

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well actually I just trianed with a kung fu guy last week and learned some good sparring drills and counters to counters that I hadn't thought about before! Not to mention a stance workout. and the week before that I had a bouncer in here that taught me a new way to work an arm bar on someone that I had never learned before. As you know ...we don't focus most of our attention on ju-jitsu type techniques and that so ti was refreshing..oh wait. I was training with someone outside my system! He wasn't even wearing a belt and his pants did not fall down! lol

I also appologize to any of you who post a reply to one of my posts. I don't get on everyday.. and sometimes only for a quick minute before I'm off line for a couple of days!

Now....time for 12 tigers yet??

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Actually Gufbal, outstanding advice on two fronts.

1. Cross training with artists who specialize in a way like grappling, boxing, etc.. is a great way to advance your self defense skills with your kempo. No one in your class will punch, shoot, etcc as well as them. When you adapt to them, you'll be fine against anyone.

2. The open mindness should be observed by ALL here in the MT forums. This is espeacially true regarding the SKK system. Those who assume, should really "know" the system, before making their posts, and attempt to come out of their boxes.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The first half or so, Or so how I remember it.

1. Fancy schmany chinese kung fu bow
2. Horse stance (the chinese one where you are more standing than squatting)
3a. Left foot steps behind right while executing a left hand parry to the right, follow up a right knife block to the right. Left hand protects the ribs through this entire sequence.
3b. Execute a verticle right ridge hand block (palm facing you, fingers pointing up, done by rotating the wrist counter clockwise)
3c. Right tigers mouth block to the opponents wrist (done by rotating the palm to the right clockwise.
3d. Press down with back of right hand while hand is forming leopard paw (palm up, fingers pointing to your right).
3e. Right upword elbow block to cover head
3f. Right down elbow block to cover ribs.

Repeat enitre sequence for left side.

I kind of kungfused myself on the middle section. I'll probably remember it while I'm at work... man, I haven't does this form since 98.

Here's the 3rd quarter.

From the left downward elbow:
4. Right foot steps out to 45 degree angle, right raking tiger claw from left to right quickly followed by the left.
5. Left foot steps to 12 o'clock, body is now facing 12 o'clock and repeat the tiger claws starting with the left going from right side to left side.
6a. Rotate body back to right 45 degree angle. Right chicken wrist to eye height while left parry to cover ribs.
6b. Right forearm comes down and meets the left forewarm in a cross.
6c. Rotate wrists towards body while mantaining cross so that the palms are up.
6d. Continue motion and circles arms outward and then press down with double downward parry.
7. Right foot steps through to 12 o'clock and face a left 45 degree angle and mirror hand motions from step 6.

Now at this point I lose it, but I know you turn to face 6 o'clock and perform sound kind of left downward block while right hand is on guard...

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats a cool site Matt!

Thanks for the kind words. It's been cool - several people have sent in techniques, and it's been fun seeing how other folks do things. I figured if more information was out there, it would 'raise the bar' for quality, as in it would actually matter if an instructor could apply the material well, instead of just 'holding the secrets hostage'.

Matt

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
Matt,
Have you thought about putting all the combos and kempos on video?

At villari's there is 12 techniques for each combo.

Maybe theres a Villaris master on here that give them all to you.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I have this blocking system and it is very useful provided you have learned the applications of the movements. This is the same with all formal exercises. I have an application for every movement for every form I have learned. In Master Richert's school in Louisville, Ky it is taught at 2nd degree black belt.

OP
G

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, I have this blocking system and it is very useful provided you have learned the applications of the movements. This is the same with all formal exercises. I have an application for every movement for every form I have learned. In Master Richert's school in Louisville, Ky it is taught at 2nd degree black belt.

Do you have a video of it? I'm coming up with tons of applications for the blocking system as we speak...

sifubry

White Belt
Reaction score
I learned a blocking system from an ex villari guy in NH, and was wondering, does anyone else still teach 12 hands of the tiger? USSD and Fred Villari's studios don't...

I do in my school. We teach it around brown or black belt. I also teach the 16 palm blocking system and the Master's set. I think the last one is also called Eagle claw blocking system.

1. 8 pt closed and open
2. 8 pt with counters
3. 16 palms
4. 10 pt
5. 12 hands of tiger
6. plum tree
7. masters

That's the order we teach these things. Got them via the old FVSSK.

Sifu Bry

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i thought the masters blocking came from ussd...learn something new every day.
sifubry could you post here or with matt the 16 palm set. i have not heard of it before
does anyone else have 4 point blocking?

marlon

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
i thought the masters blocking came from ussd...learn something new every day.
sifubry could you post here or with matt the 16 palm set. i have not heard of it before
does anyone else have 4 point blocking?

marlon

Palm set? He sent it earlier today, it's up. (Thanks SifuBry) I think it could possibly use some elaboration, for those of us unfamiliar with the terminology. I'd hate to impose, but I'm having a little trouble visualizing a couple of the moves based on the descriptions. I was also under the impression that the 'Masters Set' was strictly USSD.

By 4 point do you mean the one that's 'chicken wrist' based? I'd forgotten about that one. I was never sure it was an official set, or whether it came from my first instructor's imagination.

Matt

Latest Discussions