Coming soon to your home: Your Own McDojo!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
My issue is that it has INSTRUCTIONAL materials. Its passing itself off as "martial Arts lessons" and is then disrespectful enough to include a black belt.
Yup, I agree--it's unsettling.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah, I just look at this as a silly marketing ploy for a play at home toy. Surely nobody is going to take it seriously.

If a kid buys a cowboy hat and two two six shooters, nobody for a moment thinks he's a real cowboy. A police officer play set with plastic cuffs and a badge doesn't give the kid authority to arrest anyone.

This really isn't a threat to the arts. Its typically tasteless American marketing...I'm not sure we need to be overly concerned with it. Let the kids have their "make believe.'

Regards,

Steve

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
it's a toy; take it for what it's worth. i don't believe it was created as a "replacement" for anything, nor was the ballerina thing. this is for kids; kids that have imaginations to grow up to be something great.

ya never know, this toy might be the inspiration behind your next student signing up.

you don't see all of us sitting around bickering about the sets of fake groceries and fake household items they sell in the kids aisle, or the little mini vacuum cleaners, or toy lawn mowers, or anything else similiar. the reason is because we know what they are meant for: child entertainment. who really cares. it seems, sometimes, we let our insecurities get the best of us. don't sweat it.

:asian:

Ah, I just look at this as a silly marketing ploy for a play at home toy. Surely nobody is going to take it seriously.

If a kid buys a cowboy hat and two two six shooters, nobody for a moment thinks he's a real cowboy. A police officer play set with plastic cuffs and a badge doesn't give the kid authority to arrest anyone.

This really isn't a threat to the arts. Its typically tasteless American marketing...I'm not sure we need to be overly concerned with it. Let the kids have their "make believe.'

Regards,

Steve

Here is a quote from that site:

Become a Karate Master at home with the Black Belts Karate Home Studio. Learn blocks, punches, stances, & kicks all in a fun & safe way. Comes complete with a 30 minute action packed video, training mat with easy step by step instructions, and an inflatable heavy bag to master your moves. DVD & VHS available. Becomea Karate Master with Tommy Nitro & his team as they teach you the coolest karate moves. Also look out for the Black Belts Karate Gi

I think that the bold parts of this speak for themselves.

Mike

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Yup, I agree--it's unsettling.
*hands arni some TUMS*

I totally agree with Sapper. Its a toy! Let them get some exercise! Let them get inspired! When they get grown up and get all smart they might take some real martial arts!

If you don't like this product, I agree with Sapper. You better go raid your kids toys! Get rid of 95% of them. Take away their skates, they are not -real- skaters, the kind that makes money on the tour. Take away their bikes, they are not very good bikers anyways! Take away their balls. They are disillusioned by imagining they are Michael Jordan! Take away their dolls, they will never look like them and won't become world famous designers. Take away their toy cars, they won't own them irl and you don't want them to encourage them to "drive off cliffs". take away their GI Joes, you don't want to instill violence! Those horrible play guns making artificial gunshot noises! its insulting!

A large part of my favorite memories included my imagination. I spent alot of happy times with my favorite stick, running around like an idiot, killing bad ninjas LOL. I blew up alot of commies too! I even beat Michael Jordan a few times, making the last second shot! Its part of being a kid! As adults, we get serious. We have real life concerns. We need to make money. But let your kids be kids! Some kids might need the rigid atmosphere that a dojo can provide. It might be helpful. But please don't force them to grow up so soon...
One of my happier memories was my dad getting down on the floor with me, playing war or just goofing off w/ my toys. He also went out of way to lead in other things I was interested in. He coached baseball, Royal Rangers (like cub scouts). Those who are parents, get involved if you can!

with the product in question: take a breath, step back, and realize you don't need to purchase it! Some people will. Thats ok. I don't have a fear of some 12 year old kid opening his own dojo and proclaiming himself a master. Let him dream and attack those nasty bad ninjas :) Let him karate chop Bin Laden some (if thats what kids imagine these days!) Its healthy imagination!

With regard to myself... I used to blow up commies, but I never joined the military. I used to beat Micheal Jordan, but I never joined the NBA. I used to beat up nasty ninjas, but I am learning a real art now. Some of your dreams you may never sincerely chase, but some you will! Encourage your kid to dream, but also encourage them to pursue. Some dreams are worth chasing!

MrH

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's that quote again:

Become a Karate Master at home with the Black Belts Karate Home Studio. Learn blocks, punches, stances, & kicks all in a fun & safe way. Comes complete with a 30 minute action packed video, training mat with easy step by step instructions, and an inflatable heavy bag to master your moves. DVD & VHS available. Becomea Karate Master with Tommy Nitro & his team as they teach you the coolest karate moves. Also look out for the Black Belts Karate Gi

Maybe its just the way I'm reading it, but I look at this and I see someone saying that if you buy this product, it will turn you into a "Karate Master", show you how to punch, kick and strike, etc. I don't think that a basketball comes with a statement that says that if you buy this ball, it'll turn you into the next Michael Jordan, if you buy this bat, it'll make you hit home runs every time, if you buy the Barbie car, it'll avoid the after-school sessions of driver ed.

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Here's that quote again:

Maybe its just the way I'm reading it, but I look at this and I see someone saying that if you buy this product, it will turn you into a "Karate Master", show you how to punch, kick and strike, etc. I don't think that a basketball comes with a statement that says that if you buy this ball, it'll turn you into the next Michael Jordan, if you buy this bat, it'll make you hit home runs every time, if you buy the Barbie car, it'll avoid the after-school sessions of driver ed.
Exactly...

I dont think as HHJH suggested, that buying a Kid a cowboy outfit is going to make him think he is a cowboy... but now imagine for a second that came with a DVD that proclaimed "You will learn to rope real steer" whats the chance that 1 kid (out of the hundreds who buy it) deices to try it on a real steer? And gets killed? Is it just a harmless toy then? You cant blame the kid... the DVD said it would make him capable.

Again, like I said a BILLION times in this thread... I dont have a problem with the "make believe" and "dress up" aspects of the toy... and thats what you guys are focused on... I have a problem that it is trying to/claiming to teach... AND giving a black belt to these kids. IF its so harmless, buy one for your kid... then after a few weeks, tell them to go stomp the local bully. Get back to me with the results.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
On one hand, this toy seems a travesty to those of us who have put in the time for the black belt as a symbol. I completely understand why this rankles people who are serious about MA.

On the other hand, my daughter is three. She is too young for MA training. The bag, the mat, and the gi might be fun to play with...and it certainly would be a great way to introduce someone to the martial arts.

Since I run my own dojang, I would toss the videos and play with her myself. However, someone who has no MA training, may need to use these videos to see how the "toy" works. The point is that this is a toy, complete with the fantasy. It cannot substitute for real training, however, a version of it could be usefull.

Personally, I would rather see a product like this marketed as a "toy" and I would include a white belt in the box. The Karate Master aspect needs to go and the claims of real self defense too. Also, I would nix the rediculous testing aspect. THAT is obviously a con anyway...pure Take My Dough.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
I sure remember seeing basketballs w/ MJ's picture on it. There is a reason he got multi-millions for endorsing products. Anyone here have Air Jordans? Or any celebrity endorsed product? Perhaps its not the only reason you bought the product, but it made you look at it more than likely. Would anyone buy MrHnau Shoes? hehe

How about this advertising technique:

buy this product. They won't learn much, but they will get out of your hair and off of the video game system. They get a free white belt and our DVD tells them they stink, so they won't tell anyone they are a master. Free groveling mat included, in case they come across real masters. Imagination guarenteed to be stiffled!
ok, so a bit heavy on the sarcasm, but you get the point :) They are selling a product and its probably a fun toy for kids. Kids will get some exercise and maybe even learn a strike or two *gasp*

Technopunk said:
I dont think as HHJH suggested, that buying a Kid a cowboy outfit is going to make him think he is a cowboy... but now imagine for a second that came with a DVD that proclaimed "You will learn to rope real steer" whats the chance that 1 kid (out of the hundreds who buy it) deices to try it on a real steer? And gets killed? Is it just a harmless toy then? You cant blame the kid... the DVD said it would make him capable.

Again, like I said a BILLION times in this thread... I dont have a problem with the "make believe" and "dress up" aspects of the toy... and thats what you guys are focused on... I have a problem that it is trying to/claiming to teach... AND giving a black belt to these kids. IF its so harmless, buy one for your kid... then after a few weeks, tell them to go stomp the local bully. Get back to me with the results.
Rope real bulls? As a parent, are you actually watching what your child is doing? If so, what are you doing taking your child to a ranch, getting him a rope and pointing him to the biggest bull?

Telling your kid to go beat up the local bully? If you are telling that to your kid, then you've got some serious issues. What I -would- think would be reasonable is letting your kid learn how to defend himself against the bully. Would this do it? Most likely not. If you do know an art, maybe you can use this to teach him some more useful things! He might enjoy, and it might be something you can share in the future!

Don't know about everyone here, but my dad did a decent job of lettting me know what was wrong and right. I never turned into a bully, nor ever tried to beat anyone up, even though I often pretended I was a master. The difference between right and wrong should be instilled of course! If you think your child might take it too serious, then don't get it! If your child can't tell that he should not rope a real bull, then don't get him the cowboy gear and rope. He won't suffer too much :rolleyes:

I'd like to see the DVD actually, see what they have to say. I'm sure they are not encouraging them to go beat anyone up. I'd be curious if they actually talk about avoiding it. Anyone know someone who has the product? I'd be curious to see at least the text.

MrH

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I sure remember seeing basketballs w/ MJ's picture on it. There is a reason he got multi-millions for endorsing products. Anyone here have Air Jordans? Or any celebrity endorsed product? Perhaps its not the only reason you bought the product, but it made you look at it more than likely. Would anyone buy MrHnau Shoes? hehe

I'm afraid you missed my point. A picture is one thing, but I have not seen an actual statement from Mr. Jordan saying that if you buy this ball it'll ensure that you always make your shot.

Please go back and look at the quote that I posted twice. Its stating that if you buy this bag and dvd, you'll be a "Karate Master"

Mike

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is a mature response on Amazon. I was looking at the reviews of the product.

If you have any respect at all for the marital arts community, demand that all local retailers burn every single one of these pieces of garbage and then force the store manager to commit seppuku for being stupid enough to stock them.
LOL Thought it was humorous enough to share.

MrH

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I remember watching Bruce Lee movies as a kid and I wanted to be a "kung fu master" just like Bruce. In fact, I would get together with my friends and we would re-enact scenes from Enter the Dragon in my backyard. My mother saw this one day and asked if I wanted to try "real" karate. I enthusiastically nodded my head yes and soon found myself enrolled at the local YMCA in a Shotokan dojo. I was 11 years old, that is how I got started. 18 years later, my martial arts sojourn has taken quite a few steps. Yet, the very first step was motivated by my silly childish kung fu fantasy. I hope people can see my point. Martial arts "toys" can be important starting places. They can never replace real training, but they can help someone take the first step. This particular toy, has some claims that I think go to far, IMO, but the concept of the "toy" is okay.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Yet, the very first step was motivated by my silly childish kung fu fantasy. I hope people can see my point. Martial arts "toys" can be important starting places.
I think there is a significant difference between using your imagination and buying into the machinations of toy marketing.

respectfully,

egg

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I remember watching Bruce Lee movies as a kid and I wanted to be a "kung fu master" just like Bruce. In fact, I would get together with my friends and we would re-enact scenes from Enter the Dragon in my backyard.
I used to watch this show every Saturday. Kung Fu Theatre or something like that. They would jump over buildings, kill an army in 5 minutes, ect. It was great! I used to go swimming with a friend. We would sink to the bottom of the pool, play fight then "jump" to the top, "leaping" high into the air :ultracool We were uber-cool.

hehe

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was my take on it as well. The verbage in the ad does not seem to position this as 'this is a toy to get excercise with' but 'this will teach your five year old to be an expert in karate' Last time my kids bought toy race cars, they did not come with a driver's license, yet this one is giving out black belts. I've never seen a toy race car that claimed that it would teach you to down-shift for more power and bump draft at Talladega and nudge out other drivers like Dale Earnhardt or Tony Stewart. Most parents know the difference between a toy car and being able to drive a real car, but most parents *don't* know the difference between real martial arts training and not. I mean, that's why I quipped about cardio-kickboxing. How many *adults* going to cardio-kickboxing classes for an aerobic workout think that they are also learning effective self-defense. Over in the thread on 'telling the truth' I made the point that most adults don't really know the difference between reality and fantasy/movie in the martial arts and it's up to those more experienced to help stear them right. Yet these same adults are supposed to see a toy that purports to teach punches, blocks and kicks and understand that it's not real?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with MJS. To the extent that it's a toy--no worries. But toy cars don't tell you that after playing with them for 30 minutes you're qualified for a driver's license. It's the "become a Karate master" verbiage that's so inappropriate.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I agree with MJS. To the extent that it's a toy--no worries. But toy cars don't tell you that after playing with them for 30 minutes you're qualified for a driver's license. It's the "become a Karate master" verbiage that's so inappropriate.
And including a black belt; I agree with upnorthkyosa, a white belt should have been included instead of a black one, & the "Karate Master" & "learn how to kick, punch, block" verbage should be deleted.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
arnisador said:
It's the "become a Karate master" verbiage that's so inappropriate.
I would say that ANYTIME one hears this, it is inappropriate. On toys, this message is even more rediculous then normal.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
It comes with an Instructional DVD, and has "moves" printed on the mat... Sorry to say that while you or I may be able to distinguish that its a "Toy" I bet there are people out there who will think of it as "quality" instruction for their kids... Probably the same type of people who earn their blackbelts from Home Study courses, then open Dojos. If it was an inflatable punching bag labeled "Black Belts" or "Karate master" or what have you... I wouldnt really care.

My issue is that it has INSTRUCTIONAL materials. Its passing itself off as "martial Arts lessons" and is then disrespectful enough to include a black belt. (if it were a costume pr dress up playset with that I wouldnt care... THIS ONE IS TEACHING)

And, sorry, no... I dont believe many 5 year olds who play with that know the difference between "Real" martial arts training and "play" martial arts training. Most of them lack critical thinking skills. They are FIVE.
Dead-on

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Nah I would rather earn every belt I recieve, something about the sweat and bruises that just makes me feel better but thank you anyway.
Terry
So no mail-ordered cross-ranking for you??!! It's kind of in the same realm...

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Yet, the very first step was motivated by my silly childish kung fu fantasy.

Martial arts "toys" can be important starting places. They can never replace real training, but they can help someone take the first step. This particular toy, has some claims that I think go to far, IMO, but the concept of the "toy" is okay.
Agreed. Toys are ok, even important, but this one, in my opinion, goes WAY too far.

Latest Discussions