Coming soon to your home: Your Own McDojo!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Appalling! And this too!!! Must they ruin everything!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1571457364/002-5371896-1758448?v=glance&n=283155

1571457364.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Go beyond dreaming of being a star ballerina and let the performance begin. This kit contains everything needed to stage your own ballet. There's a CD with music for Swan Lake, the Nutcracker, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty, a beautiful tiara, programs, tickets, and a poster to personalize. An easy-to-follow 32-page book demonstrates ballet positions and outlines choreography for scenes from each ballet. The book tells the story of each ballet, and gives aspiring ballerinas information about set design, hair styles, costumes, and make-up. Watch your star shine!
disgusting! Letting little girls think they are real ballarinas :( This could engender a false sense of security that might lead to serious injury!

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Appalling! And this too!!! disgusting! Letting little girls think they are real ballarinas :( This could engender a false sense of security that might lead to serious injury!
Like Navarre said, it's the same old problem as the McDojo product. Nothing can replace a qualified instructor, whether it's Ballet or Martial Arts, but unfortunately there are still companies who will sell anything if they think someone will buy it. And as Brian VanCise said, some parents will buy it if they think it will be a good babysitter.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Technopunk said:
Are you telling me my black belt is not legit? :waah:

seriously though... if its a good way for a kid to get some exercise, or the parents don't have enough $ to send a kid to a dojo for 2+ years at $50 a month ($600 a year), or there is no legit place in the vicinity, I don't have a problem with it. We all know its not a legit black belt, and when the kid grows up he (hopefully) will understand he is not a "master". It might encourage him to look into seriously studying things! you never know! It might spark sufficient interest in really studying.

Think of it as a little kiddie Billy Banks DVD perhaps... doing a bit of Tae Bo in your den does not make you a master, but its good exercise, and you might pick up a few things. I'd rather have my kid doing this than sitting on their butt playing video games all day.

Only thing I might see as a problem is the kid runs around "I'm a karate black belt!" at school, and promptly gets the tar beaten out of him.

MrH

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Navarre said:
The World Sokeship Council passed a ruling in 1993 that no longer recognized children under the age of 18 as full black belts.
Even they have some standards? Who knew!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey! That's how I got my BB. It rocks! I'm a 10th degree now. I'm gettin ready to open my own school (got the family room all cleaned up and everything) AND I'm developing my own system. So there. :erg:

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
Hey! That's how I got my BB. It rocks! I'm a 10th degree now. I'm gettin ready to open my own school (got the family room all cleaned up and everything) AND I'm developing my own system. So there. :erg:
I wonder if they have an adult version. I'm a bit too tall for the other one. Unless I get my BB in midget-do, the art of attacking and destroying only midgets. Otherwise, I might become very good at attacking knees? :idunno: Shins are always good targets.

MrH

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mrhnau said:
I wonder if they have an adult version. I'm a bit too tall for the other one. Unless I get my BB in midget-do, the art of attacking and destroying only midgets. Otherwise, I might become very good at attacking knees? :idunno: Shins are always good targets.

MrH
Heh. I don't know man. Just use the bag it comes with will ya?! Gosh! :uhyeah:

Actually....if you want to learn midget-do, I can teach you that at my new school. :rofl:

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
Like Navarre said, it's the same old problem as the McDojo product. Nothing can replace a qualified instructor, whether it's Ballet or Martial Arts, but unfortunately there are still companies who will sell anything if they think someone will buy it. And as Brian VanCise said, some parents will buy it if they think it will be a good babysitter.
Yeah I'm also worried that playing with hot wheels will make my son think he can drive, and playing with baby dolls will make my daughter think she is already a mommy. It's a TOY even a 5yr old knows the difference so why are we as adults concerned about it?? We bought a superman costume for my nephew, and he doens't think he is now a hot-shot newspaper reporter!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm...and here is an endorsement from someone who obviously does not have a clue!

For all these "serious" martial artists who criticize the product I would urge you all to think outside the "box" and understand that a kid who is sitting at home because they're afraid to join a real Karate class might become inspired by this toy and urge their parent/s to sign them up for a real Karate class! The product is not meant to be the "be all, end all" of Karate but inspire kids to be more than they are and that it's okay to dream big.

Sounds like some contradicting is going on here. Lets see...the child may be afraid to join a "real" class, but after using this product its somehow going to change the kids mind? :idunno: I have a better idea: Enroll the child in a school where he'll learn some quality skills!

In North America it is a proven fact that our children are becoming less physically active due to technological advances and seem to suffer increasingly more from age-related diseases at younger ages. Everything being relative, any toy that encourages physical activity at an affordable cost is worth every penny in my book!

True, there are alot of over weight kids today, but I think it'd be a bit more productive to sign the child up for an activity, where they can interact with other kids, rather than have them attempt to follow along with someone that they're totally unfamiliar with.

This is a fantastic product and our kids love it!

And you were paid how much to say that??

Mike

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Sounds like some contradicting is going on here. Lets see...the child may be afraid to join a "real" class, but after using this product its somehow going to change the kids mind? :idunno: I have a better idea: Enroll the child in a school where he'll learn some quality skills!

True, there are alot of over weight kids today, but I think it'd be a bit more productive to sign the child up for an activity, where they can interact with other kids, rather than have them attempt to follow along with someone that they're totally unfamiliar with.

And you were paid how much to say that??

Mike
Thank You! That's what I'm talking about. :D

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
:lol: Good one, SiLum!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SilLum can you train me in your style so I can learn how to make up my own, see I have imagination I was tought by a old man with no wit about him, he said train and we trained.:idunno: :whip:
Terry

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
SilLum can you train me in your style so I can learn how to make up my own, see I have imagination I was tought by a old man with no wit about him, he said train and we trained.:idunno: :whip:
Terry
Of course I can. But it'll cost ya. :shrug:

:idea: I know! Do you want to be my first BB?

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sil Lum TigerLady said:
Of course I can. But it'll cost ya. :shrug:

:idea: I know! Do you want to be my first BB?
I know it will cost but do I have to attend classes or just read a book or two.:idunno: :asian:
Terry

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I know it will cost but do I have to attend classes or just read a book or two.:idunno: :asian:
Terry
Aw hell, given your time in the martial arts, if it was me, i'd be willing to just mail you a certificate right now. In fact, send me your address, and consider it on the way!!

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DavidCC said:
Yeah I'm also worried that playing with hot wheels will make my son think he can drive, and playing with baby dolls will make my daughter think she is already a mommy. It's a TOY even a 5yr old knows the difference so why are we as adults concerned about it?? We bought a superman costume for my nephew, and he doens't think he is now a hot-shot newspaper reporter!
It comes with an Instructional DVD, and has "moves" printed on the mat... Sorry to say that while you or I may be able to distinguish that its a "Toy" I bet there are people out there who will think of it as "quality" instruction for their kids... Probably the same type of people who earn their blackbelts from Home Study courses, then open Dojos. If it was an inflatable punching bag labeled "Black Belts" or "Karate master" or what have you... I wouldnt really care.

My issue is that it has INSTRUCTIONAL materials. Its passing itself off as "martial Arts lessons" and is then disrespectful enough to include a black belt. (if it were a costume pr dress up playset with that I wouldnt care... THIS ONE IS TEACHING)

And, sorry, no... I dont believe many 5 year olds who play with that know the difference between "Real" martial arts training and "play" martial arts training. Most of them lack critical thinking skills. They are FIVE.

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Aw hell, given your time in the martial arts, if it was me, i'd be willing to just mail you a certificate right now. In fact, send me your address, and consider it on the way!!
Nah I would rather earn every belt I recieve, something about the sweat and bruises that just makes me feel better but thank you anyway.
Terry

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
it's a toy; take it for what it's worth. i don't believe it was created as a "replacement" for anything, nor was the ballerina thing. this is for kids; kids that have imaginations to grow up to be something great.

ya never know, this toy might be the inspiration behind your next student signing up.

you don't see all of us sitting around bickering about the sets of fake groceries and fake household items they sell in the kids aisle, or the little mini vacuum cleaners, or toy lawn mowers, or anything else similiar. the reason is because we know what they are meant for: child entertainment. who really cares. it seems, sometimes, we let our insecurities get the best of us. don't sweat it.

:asian:

Latest Discussions