Can I ask a Stupid question?

Ronald R. Harbers said:
How about the dying cockroach?
I remember that! Of course, it was through Basic Training that I discovered a good number of interesting...shall we say...exercises.

Ronald R. Harbers said:
How about the dying cockroach?

Oh god...

WHen I was in Basic, on the NBC course, the course instructor asked us "What do you do if you see a Nuclear Explosion"... and I yelled back "You Die!"

The Drill had me Alternating the FLR and the Dying Cockroach for over 45 minutes in his office back at the barracks after training that day... Ugh.

Tgace said:
My drill sergeant told me there were no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions. ;)
And he was saying it to you because............:)

My DI's loved the "Stealth Digging" where they used little hand gestures for exercises and if you didn't catch the change from one to the other, you were just going to hurt that much more....

The sand pit with the sand fleas the constant "Grab a hand full and toss it in the air" was SOOOO fun too. Nothing like sand in those fun skin on skin folds while you are on a full ruck road march...mmmmm I can smell the friction now.

Here's the question that made me rip up my application for an IT Help Desk job:

"Where's the ANY key?"

I guess my concern about Kerry's record is what he did AFTER wards, and extra things he did while over there. Doesn't that worry you at all that Kerry is listed in the Saigon Hall of Fame under "foreigners who helped to win the war" along with Jane Fonda? There are pictures of him with VC officers DURING the war. That is what I find relevant along with his history of voting during his tenure in congress.

punisher73 said:
I guess my concern about Kerry's record is what he did AFTER wards, and extra things he did while over there. Doesn't that worry you at all that Kerry is listed in the Saigon Hall of Fame under "foreigners who helped to win the war" along with Jane Fonda? There are pictures of him with VC officers DURING the war. That is what I find relevant along with his history of voting during his tenure in congress.
Citation, please?

So if I understand your logic correctly, "punisher," you find it morally unacceptable to oppose a war that was a) started in order to support French colonialism and put down freedom fighters, b) continued by the United States after the French got their *** kicked, c) expanded under false pretenses through a series of lies by our government, d) known by our government to be unwinnable as early as 1964-65, e) carried on using predominantly poor and minority troops after 1968, f) destructive of the U.S. Army, g) productive of little events like My Lai 4, the bombing of Bach Mai hospital, and the secret/illegal air bombardments of Laos and Cambodia and the subsequent invasion of Cambodia, h) and the direct cause of most of the succeeding chaos (the rise of the Khmer Rouge, for example) in the area for the next twenty years.

And which, let's not forget, killed 59,000 US troops, wounded a half a million, as well as ten times those numbers of Vietnamese, all so we could run out of the country and leave many of our friends behind.

Your moral position is that everybody should've supported a stupid, illegal, pointless war no matter what.

Fascinating. Could you maybe explain exactly which moral code, set of religious principles, or American traditions you're basing that claim upon?

rmcrobertson is on the mark. Americans will not support a war that they believe is wrong. The reason so many Americans left the country, lied to get out of service or returned from the war angry, is because the war was not valid. We may be doing the same thing in Iraq. Compare Vietnam to World War II. In Vietnam teenagers were lying to get out of the war, in 1941 they were lying about their age just to get in. I think that is something we should consider.

Back