Going Upriver - In theaters October 1, 2004

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No doubt, many will dismiss this film as a Michael Moore-like propaganda piece.

But, with so many polls showing that the majority of Americans think the country is going in the wrong direction. And, with so many Americans uncertain if John Kerry is the right person to replace President Bush, this movie may be an opportunity to see if Senator Kerry has the 'Right Stuff'.

I hope you will give it careful consideration prior to the election.

http://www.goingupriver.com

Going Upriver: The Long War of John Kerry is a feature length documentary about character and moral leadership during a time of national crisis. Loosely based on the best-selling book Tour of Duty by Douglas Brinkley, Going Upriver examines the story of John Kerry and the key events that made him a national figure and the man he is today. The film places particular emphasis on his bravery during the Vietnam War and his courageous opposition to the war upon his return.

The film traces Kerry’s early life as a young man who chooses to enlist in the Navy and to go to Vietnam. The film reveals intimate, first person accounts of Kerry’s war service through his own private letters, his eloquent journal, and the vivid memories of the men who served at his side. When Kerry came home disillusioned by the war, he and his fellow Vietnam Veterans challenged Congress and the Nixon administration. As Kerry became a nationally known anti-war activist, the Nixon White House plotted to discredit his leadership, but significantly could find “nothing on him,” as Colson reveals via Watergate tapes. Despite Nixon’s attempt to undermine John Kerry’s political career during his 1972 unsuccessful run for US Congress, Kerry persevered, eventually winning election to the Senate and receiving the Democratic nomination for president in 2004.​

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I saw a preview of this film, specifically Kerry's testimony before Congress in 1971 for Vietnam Vets Against The War. I hope everybody sees this. Kerry's testimony was sensitive, awesome, and not at all what you've probably heard. Must see.