The Next US President

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
T'was me, Fiesty Mouse!! I recieve joy by causing pain to you and your deluded self. :supcool:

Meh. Or not. :asian:
I missed this one before, heretic - lol!!!!

OP
BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okay debate away...I only wanted names but I see that is not going to happen...but please keep it cool and don't attack anyone. People can still get along and share totally different political views. That is one reason America has lived so long as a country. So please keep personal attacks on character out of this.

OP
BlueDragon1981

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander,

Whats your opinion on the US canidates. From recent items I have read Canada has been fed up with some US items and hasn't really supported the US to much in the War in Iraq, (which I'm not yelling because I myself don't think we should be over there, but I do like to know that our allies stand behind us)

Oh and what is a great place to visit tourism wise in Canada...I want to go up someday. Not to far away already....Pennsylvania.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
Flatlander,

Whats your opinion on the US canidates. From recent items I have read Canada has been fed up with some US items and hasn't really supported the US to much in the War in Iraq, (which I'm not yelling because I myself don't think we should be over there, but I do like to know that our allies stand behind us)

Oh and what is a great place to visit tourism wise in Canada...I want to go up someday. Not to far away already....Pennsylvania.
First of all, please bear in mind that Canada-US relationships are strictly governmental, and in no way reflect the 'will' of the people.

Regarding the election, I'm not informed enough to 'know' whether Kerry is a better choice than Bush, or vice versa. That's why I was interested to continue to read debate on the topic here. Nonetheless, from a Canadian perspective, it seems to me that it is very rare that Canada - US relations aren't good. They were fantastic in the Mulroney - Reagan years. Cretien wasn't very friendly with the Bush Administration, but him and Clinton got along pretty good.

I would like to be able to see things go well for you guys. I'm alittle concerned about the US economy, I read all kinds of scary stuff regarding possible fallout from that.

Some Canadians support the war on terror, some do not. I would have preferred that the whole deal been done through the UN, but it wasn't to be. I think the ends justified the means in this one, but realistically, we haven't seen the ends yet, so we'll have to hurry up and wait for that one.

Either way, I'm interested to see what goes down.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Flatlander .. I really love Canada and Canadians. And I find the juxtaposition of our two contries interesting.

What percentage of Canadian citizens do you think can name the leader of the United States?

What percentage of United States citizens do you think can name the leader of Canada?

Honesty ... I can't recall the new Prime Minister's name right now .... although I do try and pay a bit attention to what is happening North of the Border.

Cheers - Mike

Oh, yeah .. for a name ... Sterling David Allan .... He gets my vote ! :)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha! Good question. In terms of actual numbers, I couldn't tell you, but I'm sure that as a percentage, a greater percentage of Canadians could tell you the name of the President than Americans the Prime Minister. In fact, It may even be likely that a greater percentage of Canadians know the President's name than the Prime Minister's! (Paul Martin, by the way).

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Either that was a poor attempt at a joke, or you are misinformed. Jean Cretien has retired from politics and is now an advisor to Petrokazakstan.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I agree with you quite a bit here .... and don't let that 'being a Canadian' thing stop you from voting here in the states ... little things like laws aren't meant to be obeyed when it comes to something as serious as an election. [ THAT IS A JOKE ]

Well we did have a (short lived) Prime Minister say that election campaigns were not the place to discuss serious issues :D

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
BlueDragon1981 said:
Flatlander,

There is a vast difference between being allies and blindly going to war. Canada was (and still is) right there in Afghanistan. It comes down to a sovereign nation deciding on it's own whether to commit their troops to a conflict. If the proof of WMD, terrorism and imminent therat to the security of the US would have been there, Canada would have sent troops to Iraq. We did send an additional 1,000 troops to Afghanistan to make 1,000 US troops available to get shipped to Iraq.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Better yet, what is the percentage of the US population that knows that the title for the leader in Canada is Prime Minister? :)

P

PeachMonkey

I have heard people refer to the "President of Canada" depressingly often.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Either that was a poor attempt at a joke, or you are misinformed. Jean Cretien has retired from politics and is now an advisor to Petrokazakstan.

Flatlander,

It was indeed a joke, but not an original one.

During the 2000 election, a comedian approached then candidate George W. Bush and asked him what he thought of Canada's Prime Minister Jean Poutine's recent endorsement.

"I appreciate his strong statement. He understands I believe in free trade," Bush replied. "He understands I want to make sure our relations with our most important neighbour to the north of us, the Canadians, is strong and we'll work closely together."

This was met with some hilarity north of the border, as poutin (or is it 'poutine'?) is an artery-clogging breakfast dish made with fries, curds, and gravy...as you no doubt know. The Prime Minister of Canada at the time was Jean Chretien.

This came at a time when Bush has made several foreign policy gaffes by not knowing various foreign heads of state.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/506298.stm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/e599.htm

It also makes one wonder who our OTHER neighbors to the north of us are...given that Bush thinks that the Canadians are the most important of them. In any case, in Bush's eyes, "our relations is strong."

Regards,

Steve

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Steve, Thanks for reposting that ... while I remember the good chuckle I had when this event occurred (my company was having a meeting in Whistler, BC, at the time, I think). I had forgot the 'most important neighbor to the North' part.

Mike

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right! I remember that! It was Rick Mercer - the show was This Hour Has 22 Minutes. Sorry about the defensive tone, I didn't catch the reference at all. Steve, that was a while ago. You've got a pretty impressive memory.

The 'other neighbor to the North' reference? Quebec! They already don't think of themselves in a provincial context, so maybe the President was simply mistaken, assuming that they had already gained their independence!
icon10.gif

Anyhoo, Back to the topic at hand - The Next US President.

From the feeling that I'm getting on this particular forum, Bush is OUT. Do you think this is representative of the American voting population? Any polls down there yet? If so, what are they saying?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
flatlander said:
Sorry about the defensive tone, I didn't catch the reference at all. Steve, that was a while ago. You've got a pretty impressive memory.

The 'other neighbor to the North' reference? Quebec! They already don't think of themselves in a provincial context, so maybe the President was simply mistaken, assuming that they had already gained their independence!

Nah...I didn't take it as defensive. I threw that out there hoping to see if anyone would remember it. And my memory is awful...at best it is oddly selective. But thanks for the compliment.

I don't think the President knows where Quebec is, Flatlander. If he were to learn they speak French, he'd likely think Canada's PM is now Jacques Chirac, instead of Jean Poutine.

Dubya confuses easily.

Regards,

Steve

P

PeachMonkey

flatlander said:
From the feeling that I'm getting on this particular forum, Bush is OUT. Do you think this is representative of the American voting population?
I definitely don't feel like we provide a statistically significant sample. Besides, I think those of us who are pro-Bush tend not to engage in these discussions :)

I just spent dinner seated near a table of pro-Bush young adults. It was interesting listening to their conversation... they spent the first part of the evening trying to piece together the Pledge of Allegiance (badly), engaging in some delightful historical revisionism (like "we've never fought China in a war" and "John Hinkle Booth killed JFK"... no, I'm not kidding, that's what she said), then talking about how ignorant people who saw Fahrenheit 9/11 are...

But I digress.

Flatlander said:
Any polls down there yet? If so, what are they saying?
The latest Gallup poll puts Kerry ahead of GW by 4%:

http://www.gallup.com/election2004/

This is within the margin of error.

The only major poll that I saw today that put Bush ahead, at the moment, was Fox News (unsurprisingly).

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ah, dang. You know, political discussion is more interesting when both sides are pretty knowledgeable. Hope you enjoyed your dinner anyhow, PeachMonkey.

As is evident in my past posts, I am a Kerry supporter. But although some of these polls sound promising, I am very concerned. The American public seems to respond to smear campaigns, and that's what Bush is mounting. Kerry's messages seem to ll be pretty positive. It's not that I want him starting a smear campaign - I'm glad he's not - but I worry about Bush's tactics.

P

PeachMonkey

Thanks, Mouse. My dinner was fine anyway, since my company was so delightful (as I'm sure you can imagine). The conversation I refer to was at the next table over.

I hope you get feeling better. I'm starting to feel like I'm coming down with something.

As for Kerry, I think of myself less as a "Kerry supporter" (since he represents so much of the kind of centrist 'New Democrat' that I loathe) than a "Conservative opposer".

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
I just spent dinner seated near a table of pro-Bush young adults. It was interesting listening to their conversation... they spent the first part of the evening trying to piece together the Pledge of Allegiance (badly), engaging in some delightful historical revisionism (like "we've never fought China in a war" and "John Hinkle Booth killed JFK"... no, I'm not kidding, that's what she said), then talking about how ignorant people who saw Fahrenheit 9/11 are...

Frustrating, isn't it? I bet they were undergraduates, too. Even bright youngsters can be ignorant as all get out.

I quizzed a young lady (21 years old) about the looming war in Iraq (just prior to the invasion). She was outspoken in her opposition to it. I asked her if she knew who the president of Iraq was...she couldn't name him.

She also couldn't name the ethnic groups in Iraq, any bordering nations, or name the two major rivers flowing through it. She got one of fifty questions right by saying that the major religion was "Muslim" (sic), but couldn't name the two conflicting sects of the religion. She also couldn't name the Sec of State of the U.S. or the Sec Def.

I wager a youngster favoring the war would have failed as miserably. So much for the notion of an informed electorate, eh?

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions