Can I ask a Stupid question?

Mark Weiser said:
Well I have a major problem with what Kerry did when he got back from the War. Being a Veteran myself of 20 years I find it extremely offensive that a Vet would throw his medals over the White House Fence. I am sorry that is a NO GO in my book no matter what the motivation was by Kerry. CASE CLOSED your thru Dude.
I guess it's silly for me to bring this up when your case is closed, but I'll give it a shot. Did you personally watch the video of Kerry's testimony before Congress in 1971? If you say, "Yes, I've seen it," then I respect your opinion completely. If you have not personally seen it, I'd strongly suggest you do so. Since you are a veteran, I think it's something you'd very much like to see for yourself before you close your case. It's only about 5 minutes long--I saw it myself for the first time a few weeks ago, and I was surprised. The hype surrounding it had absolutely nothing to do with the reality.

shesulsa said:
4. Do you want someone judging you based on one stupid thing you did (albeit significant) when you were young, dumb and full of something?

Exactly... Im still trying to figure out why these records matter.

They matter in Kerry's case, as Republicans often say, because he made his military service an issue. It's fair game for research and comment. Even if most of the research has been bogus and the comment big fat lies, I still think it's reasonable to roll one's eyes a bit about the 3 Purple Hearts.

Bush's service--or more precisely, his avoidance of it--is at issue because he has made service to America a major issue, has insisted upon a helluva lot of flag-waving, and because of the cavalier way he's treated groups like the Guard.

To cite one example, we now see that a guy who went into the Guard to stay out of Vietnam (and didn't even really complete his obligations there) has sent some Guard units to Iraq/overseas TWICE, and has brushed off any criticism of these actions.

And, oh yes--this is also a guy who's made old-time values and old-line Christianity major national issues. Are we supposed to just ignore it when the evidence brings out the fact that he--like Henry Hyde, like Strom Thurmond--doesn't seem to have had any values?

MisterMike said:
Don't you have the option to turn down the awards? Why would you accept them and then toss them over a fence? Was this the first documented flip-flop?

Curious...
In the Navy we cannot turn down an award. I've tried.

Tkang_TKD said:
In the Navy we cannot turn down an award. I've tried.

WOW, interesting. Thanks for the follow-up. I definitely did not know that.

MisterMike said:
WOW, interesting. Thanks for the follow-up. I definitely did not know that.
Yeah, early in my career I tried to turn down any and all personal awards that I received because I didn't think I merited some of the awards. I've not been successful in refusing one yet.

I toyed with the idea of removing them from my service record, but damned if they don't send microfiche copies of that to the Bureau of Personnel :p

Technopunk, There are no stupid questions. Just stupid answers!:)

Ronald R. Harbers said:
Technopunk, There are no stupid questions. Just stupid answers!:)

Not true. I work at an IT helpdesk, there are plenty of stupid questions.

You are wrong! Some may not know how to ask a question! That does not make them stupid. Give them a knowlegable answer. You are an IT. You think the questions are stupid, but they are ignorant of computer savvy! You are blessed! Show them the way and you will be worshipped! Then,:partyon:

Technopunk said:
Not true. I work at an IT helpdesk, there are plenty of stupid questions.
I did my time at the helpdesk, and you are correct! Not only are there stupid questions, but those asking them couldn't possibly comprehend the answer. (Not directing this at you of course ;) )

I once had a guy asking me some questions about networking and such, and how stuff worked. When I got done explaining it (in laymens terms no doubt), the guy looked like his eyes glazed over and he was about to start drooling on himself.

No...

After walking a customer thru the first 5 screens of a setup program... then asking them what they see...

THEN they ask "Oh, should my computer have been on while we were doing this..."

THAT... THAT is a stupid question. There is a big difference between a lack of knowlage, and outright stupidity. That crosses the line. I am totaly ok with people who have a lack of knowlage... but...

If I have a 5 Inch flashing red button that says "Press Here to Turn On Robot X" and I look right at it and ask... "How do I turn this robot X on..." I have asked a stupid question.

Technopunk, I can understand your frustration. Master Sergeant Louis is the person who told me that there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. He taught me the art of the bayonnet and in close combat! Some folks will never learn. You have to bear up and carry them. It is your duty!:)

Ronald R. Harbers said:
Technopunk, I can understand your frustration. Master Sergeant Louis is the person who told me that there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. He taught me the art of the bayonnet and in close combat! Some folks will never learn. You have to bear up and carry them. It is your duty!:)
My drill sergeant told me there were no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions. ;)

Tgace said:
My drill sergeant told me there were no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions. ;)

Really? Funny, all I seem to recall mine saying was "FRONT LEANING REST POSITION, NOWNOWNOW!"

Mine liked the duck walk for some strange reason.

Back