Black belt testing

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
if you are doing your job right, they wouldnt be testing if their skills were poor........

I am old school, the test is a formality, you have already BEEN tested in class. the other is almost a........honorary.....thing.

but with pressure. oh and fighting. Lots of fighting.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That is the way I also have tested.. Under my grandmaster. I'm am looking for ideas that will improve my BB tests. I do like the ceremony for BB tests. I also have alot of the same requirements that are listed, but I used to test students as they became ready ( time in rank..etc) But I am moving to making my BB test only twice per year. So the imput here is really a help. i like the physical test being closed to spectators, and the ceremony open.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not to side track but I teach something very different "Running is for people that DONT know how to stand there and fight."

Running is for the smart ones. They never lose the fight.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
see, i was brought up testing, and not finding out till later if you passed, for UNDERBELTS

for BB? we always found out THEN wether we passed or not.

I have changed that around to giving out underbelt results on the spot.

Sensei Sharkey and I were talking about this very subject the other day. He told me for his people who tested for brown bele he would not say anything for a month. What he found was that those who were strictly in it for the belt would quit showing up to class after a week or so when they didn't receive the belt right away.

For the lower ranks up to 5th kyu/gup he will let them know within a week. For 4th kyu/gup - 1st kyu/gup he waits about 2 weeks. For black belts they know that evening after the test.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well if you were sorry if you offend you wouldn't say anything and I don't believe you will be winning any Miss Congeniality award anytime soon. ha.haha.

wouldnt want to, I think if someone is too popular, they arent telling the truth all the time.

Would you? You have said in the past that you do things as your instructor taught them to you. Are you saying that if he told you that to get your 1st dan you needed to do a 2mile run as part of your test you would have told him to kiss off?

yep. I am there to learn MARTIAL ARTS, not running. If i wanted to do that I would go down to Bally's The fact i was in the military and HATE running doesnt help, but my big objection to it? The instructor should already KNOW if they are fit. If they are, you dont need them to show it. If they are not, you shouldnt let them test in the first place.

What is wrong with having a standard warm up at a test?

nothing, but as a test requirement, demonstrating warm ups is pointless, see above. If they can, you dont need them to and if they cant, they have no business testing. And an instructor ought to KNOW that before hand.

Why? If you are an instructor teaching kids how to be fit don't you feel you should be fit as well?

actually, I have found that the average person isnt fit. And, here is the kicker, people see martial arts done by some lean guy, they think "well yeah, he's inperfect shape, i am not, so i cant do that stuff"

They see ME doing it, and I am not in the greatest shape, they believe that THEY can do it to.

Dont get me wrong, I wish i were in better shape, but I am not. I am 42, and I cant run anymore, and I live in texas. We put gravy on our SALADS down here,.......LOL

What's the difference? Outside a more probable chance of injury when you are tired and fighting. And please don't start with trying to link this to what would happen in a real fight, because you already said you most likely wouldn't be tired in a street fight.

the difference is, they are not there to learn running they are there to learn FIGHTING so FIGHTING makes more sense to have them do than running

or maybe I am just a simpleton.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I may, our BB test is usually about 4 hrs.
After running thru all the basics (punches, kicks, blocks, stances, etc) you then do whatever combos the instructor tells you to do. ie front ball kick into a roundhouse step down back knuckle reverse punch. He makes up th combos as he goes.

Then it's the forms, we have only 8 required for the test. (Although we learn more)

Then the panel will give you one or two pinians to go thru and break down the movements and techniques within them.

When it comes to the grab and punch counters, you're on your own. We learn them by the numbers but for BB, you are attacked with no forewarning of which hand they are gonna punch with or if it's a kick. You just defend yourself using the techniques.

Pretty much the same for the club, knife and multiple attackers. The knife is real, I got cut. There is no set of defend against a stab or lunge. It's defend against a knife attack period.

Same with a club and two and three man attacks.

In the end when your bleeding, lumped up and sore, you get your belt and get down in a low horse so the other BB can come up one at a time and punch, kick, elbow or knee you in the stomach.

Good times, you feel like you earned it then.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you only need palamas 1-8 for BB?

do you use 14?

KSDS we dont use 14, but for 1st, I have to learn 1-11

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
wouldnt want to, I think if someone is too popular, they arent telling the truth all the time.
I agree...perhaps it is just tact that you may be missing. :ultracool

yep. I am there to learn MARTIAL ARTS, not running. If i wanted to do that I would go down to Bally's The fact i was in the military and HATE running doesnt help, but my big objection to it? The instructor should already KNOW if they are fit. If they are, you dont need them to show it. If they are not, you shouldnt let them test in the first place.

I understand what you are saying. So let me ask you this, if running was part of the requirements leading up to black belt (meaning you have to be able to run .5 miles by blue belt, 1 mile by purpler belt...ect) would you still feel the same or is it the fact that the 2 mile run comes up just at black belt testing?

nothing, but as a test requirement, demonstrating warm ups is pointless, see above. If they can, you dont need them to and if they cant, they have no business testing. And an instructor ought to KNOW that before hand.

Again, I understand what you are saying. My same question from above would apply here as well.

actually, I have found that the average person isnt fit. And, here is the kicker, people see martial arts done by some lean guy, they think "well yeah, he's inperfect shape, i am not, so i cant do that stuff"

They see ME doing it, and I am not in the greatest shape, they believe that THEY can do it to.

I totally agree with you on this. The instructor does not have to be the ipidomy of excellent health nor do they need to be in Bruce Lee shape. However, I feel they should be able to do everything that they are teaching (sans any physical disability which would prohibit them).

Dont get me wrong, I wish i were in better shape, but I am not. I am 42, and I cant run anymore, and I live in texas. We put gravy on our SALADS down here,.......LOL
I'm blessed/cursed at 38 to be working with a bunch of younger instructors at the school who are in great shape. So it motivates me to try and stay up with them to a point...it also kills me too. haha.

or maybe I am just a simpleton.
Let's just move this to your Tear me a new one thread or whatever you call it. ha.ha.ha.

BTW...I do hope you don't think I'm attacking you personally. I am just trying to get a better idea of where you are coming from is all.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just 1-8, 14 is the basics pinian. If you don't know that one, shouldn't be testing.

Almost forgot the funnest part of the test, fight the other BB's. No pads, mouth guard optional, gotta have a cup.

Then the board breaking, 1 inch board from 3 inches away 2 boards if you doing a ball kick.

Then you get your belt and get smacked around haha

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Joe,
You guys do the "Blessing"?

Just 1-8, 14 is the basics pinian. If you don't know that one, shouldn't be testing.

Almost forgot the funnest part of the test, fight the other BB's. No pads, mouth guard optional, gotta have a cup.

Then the board breaking, 1 inch board from 3 inches away 2 boards if you doing a ball kick.

Then you get your belt and get smacked around haha

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
no, the "blessing of the belt" after you get promoted to BB. where they slap the crap out of your arms and legs with the belt.

3rd and above I believe they do that. For your 1st, you have to take it from one of the BB's, and they don't let go. You gotta prove you want and deserve it, it's never just handed to you, none of the belts are.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Stacy,
other than the warm ups being part of the test, which you KNOW how I feel about, this test seems pretty much in line.

Seems like too much sparring, i mean, 3 HOURS? but thats ok. At least sparring is actually a part of martial arts.

Well, honestly, I'm on the fence about the conditioning stuff myself. I mean, I can do it, and I WILL do it, because it's required; but it seems like the ability to perform and teach the material should be more important than proving you are "in shape." I know that part of the idea is to tire you out and make sure you REALLY know your stuff, even when you're a zombie; but there are lots of good MAists out there who can't do a decent pushup (much less 50 of them) and never have been able to, or whatever.

On the other hand, I do the basic conditioning stuff every day, and I am convinced it's good for me. Really, I am....kinda....gawd, I hate pushups.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
"good MAists out there who can't do a decent pushup (much less 50 of them) and never have been able to, or whatever. "

Hmmm. I am the first to not do a lot of this at test but at the same time I have to wonder how good a Martial Artist is if they cant do a push up.

Dave O.

Lord-Humongous

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dang, my school tests fitness with 5 sets of 50 push ups, 5 sets of 50 sit ups and 5x 1min skipping. They run 3.2 kms with a certain time requirement. Then the following week they do a written test, hand in an essay and then do the TaeKwon Do test. I have no idea what else is involved, though I've been told it is quite rigorous and there is a rumour of a surprise attack at some point.

It's going to be astoundingly hard for me (I am a Blue Stripe and working toward this goal). But in defence of the fitness debate here, I can't imagine working towards that fitness level for any other reason. I am in good shape from my current training now but would only dare complete one set of 50 push ups or sit ups as part of a regular workout. So what else would take me to the next level? Also, I like the fact that the BB test is hard. That way if I am successful, I will be very proud!

BTW there are no fat people above my level at my school. There's good reason to push the fitness level alone! Also, I'll add that the primary reason that I started MA training was to get in shape, not to kick *** though I am coming along pretty well I think.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"good MAists out there who can't do a decent pushup (much less 50 of them) and never have been able to, or whatever. "

Hmmm. I am the first to not do a lot of this at test but at the same time I have to wonder how good a Martial Artist is if they cant do a push up.

Dave O.

There are good ones with arthritic hands, good ones with rotator cuff problems....need I continue?

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, on a case by case issue based on damage is one point. In a regular training scenario is another.
I think its a load of crap for the Martal Artist that can walk through all of the forms but cant really hold a candle. I have seen plenty that would get beat up by a pair of 18 year old thugs.
I have a lot of damage...trust me. At the same time I promise you if a pair of kids try to rob me everyone I train with and know would be scared about getting me out of jail.
So I guess we go full circle on what black Belt test should accomplish. Maybe I dont want to watch my kid run or do 50 push ups but I also want to know that if a kid his age decides to go stupid that I am the one being called in to discuss the blows delivered.
The average Black Belt should be conditioned as a fighter. Thats tough, strong ,aware and skilled.
By the way my knees hurt to the point of tears. Customers tell me they will show themselves upstairs. But when we do double flying kicks on the bags I get one or two in before I am done. Ice for the night for sure but everyone knows I can walk the talk.
I have a video called the TKD Masters and there is an original pioneer with one arm amputated. He is doing everything.
I hope that should the need come unless its a short term healing issue the arthritis or whatever else can be fought through to do a push up or fight as needed. Otherwise maybe its time to retire.

Dave O.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BTW there are no fat people above my level at my school. There's good reason to push the fitness level alone! Also, I'll add that the primary reason that I started MA training was to get in shape, not to kick *** though I am coming along pretty well I think.

yeah, because people with bad knees or weight problems dont deserve to learn how to defend themselves........

Latest Discussions