Black belt testing

artFling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What your problem!!
Very post I read from you is negitive!!! I wonder how you insire anyone with that attitude. Why can't you just understand that there are differences in everything in life, including the martial arts.. These people who post here come to have a exchange of idea's, not to beput down.

How many children do you teach?
How is your retention?
Do your BB stay and if so how long?

Because withall the cramp in life... yours is not needed!

and lastly...IS THAT YOU ON YOU TUBE DOING THAT *** CRAZY CANE FORM! because if so.... you need acting lessons.

TF, you probably shouldn't read this. No, really don't read it.

Like you're gonna listen.

I'm only gonna say thing because I see TF take a lot of (sometimes well deserved) heat on this board. And he's my friend, plus I'm his student.

And here's the deal; he prob. would rather I stay out of it and maybe I should, but I'm not asking his permission. This is the thing: TF is snarky. And not only that he's very funny. I laugh every time I'm with him. And that makes the hard training easier to tolerate. And he's opinionated. Unlike most Texans, he'll actually tell you what he thinks. And being a displaced Californian living in TX, I find that refreshing.

But listen friend (NPTKD), and this is off topic, you have got to figure out how to not ever let somebody's opinion, given on an internet forum, bother you. This is a mode of entertainment for many people. Never assume that it's just straight information being given. Never take it personal. Always read it with your "filter" on.

TF knows and freely admits that he can be a jerk. He said so at the beginning of this thread. And so he certainly deserves some the the hailstones that come down on him in the form of flames on this board. But what you get in return is this: his honest opinion. He can't help it. He's got to tell you what he thinks. He's really no good at hiding it.

And here's the other thing. He teaches me. And inspires me and my children. (BTW, he doesn't insire me cause that would just be wrong). The man knows his martial arts. Sure he's rough around the edges, but having to deal with those edges never makes me lose anything. I only ever feel like I come out being a better person for being around him. And I'm not an easy guy to teach, being middle aged and arthritic.

One last thing, TF's tone in real life is much more tolerable. In print it looks more harsh than he means it. He's simply being brutally honest. When he talks, his vocal mannerisms take most of the mean out of it. My family and I are often the butt of TF's jokes, but it's cool. We always go home and share the latest thing he said about us with my wife and she laughs too. Cause it's funny. And to tell you the truth all us humans are worth laughing at and we gotta start at ourselves. And after all the cramp, cra.., (somebody spell that word for me PLEASE), After all the "stuff" in life, I need that.

But hey, it's no wonder the guy HAD to learn martial arts. His mouth would have never let him survive this long if he had not. In fact, I'm pretty sure he has a full set of teeth. Surprising huh.

Now, I have no intention of defending him again. Cause he really doesn't need it. I just had to get that off my chest.

See, I told you not to read it.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang, my school tests fitness with 5 sets of 50 push ups, 5 sets of 50 sit ups and 5x 1min skipping. They run 3.2 kms with a certain time requirement. Then the following week they do a written test, hand in an essay and then do the TaeKwon Do test. I have no idea what else is involved, though I've been told it is quite rigorous and there is a rumour of a surprise attack at some point.

It's going to be astoundingly hard for me (I am a Blue Stripe and working toward this goal). But in defence of the fitness debate here, I can't imagine working towards that fitness level for any other reason. I am in good shape from my current training now but would only dare complete one set of 50 push ups or sit ups as part of a regular workout. So what else would take me to the next level? Also, I like the fact that the BB test is hard. That way if I am successful, I will be very proud!

BTW there are no fat people above my level at my school. There's good reason to push the fitness level alone! Also, I'll add that the primary reason that I started MA training was to get in shape, not to kick *** though I am coming along pretty well I think.

I don't see the point in doing the runs and fitness test. I would think you could go to a gym and do that.

If a person wants to do it on their own, that's a different story, but why do it for the test?

To me it's like stretching, don't come to class and expect to do a whole lot of stretching, we'll warm up, but stretching is done on your own at home.

Lord-Humongous

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yeah, because people with bad knees or weight problems dont deserve to learn how to defend themselves........

I meant that people lose weight by working out. After so many months you'll be lighter if you train hard. I've lost 40 pounds in a little over a year and 90% of that has to do with my TKD training.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I know all schools have different requirements, but I was just wondering what some of yours were for your test or what you may have your students do?

Heres our test for 1st Dan:

The physical components of a 1st kup to 1st degree exam breaks down like this:

Theory: A 2-3 Hour written theory exam

Patterns:
Saju Makgi, Saju Jirugi, Chon-Ji tul, Dan-Gun tul, Do-San tul, Won-Hyo tul, Yul-Gok tul, Joong-Gun tul, Toi-Gye tul, Hwa-Rang tul, Choong-Moo tul

Sparring and Self Defence
: 3 Step Sparring, 2 Step Sparring, 1 Step Sparring (Traditional), 1 Step Sparring (Advanced), Relaxed 1 Step with knife (2 rounds), Hosinsul with frontal attacks (2 rounds), Hosinsul with rear attacks (2 rounds), Unpadded Free Sparring, Padded 'Competition Style' Free Sparring, Traditional Sparring** (2 rounds), Free Sparring with knife (2 rounds), Idale Matsogi (2 v 1 Sparring x 2 rounds), Choke Sparring.
All sparring & hosinsul demonstrated over a minimum of 2 rounds each, against fellow gradees of 1st kup level and black belts

Destruction:
Twio Yop Cha Jirugi (2 boards/both legs), Fore Fist Punch (2 boards), Hand technique (weak side - 1 board)***, Non-measured break**** x 2, Technical Break Demonstration

Notes:
* chosen by examiners / ** meaning they can kick, strike, sweep, take down and throw / *** 2 boards is 1 black board and 1 cream board, whilst single board breaks are required through a black board / **** no measuring or distance taking, the student simply walks up to the holder and strikes, with a basic kicking technique chosen at random for each leg. 1 board for 1st kups, 2 boards for 1st dans.

Note: We dont allow spectators in either.. we use to but it caused problems. That said, we have a panel of 5 examiners + BB's so no adult would ever be alone with a minor.. not that we`ve had any youngsters grade to BB yet. Finally, all our gradings are video, so any questions could easily be verified one way or another y playing back the footage. Videos can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/stuarta

Stuart

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
off topic....but How do you like my new pic..... who's the man!

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do not want to type the 7 pages of things we do but here is the jist of it.

Week prior to physical test is a 50 question written test. Must past written test with 80% or you do not take the phyical test and must wait 6 months to test again.

2 BlackBelt Essays (One Thank you essay and one What has TKD done for you essay).

Day 1 = Techniques 6-8 hours
All Punches (Singles, Multiple, Combos, ect...)
All Forms in order then in random order as called out by the Master
Self creational form
Weapons form (Self creational)
20 one steps in order then in random order
10 self created one steps
2 SD when grabbed by the wrist
2 SD when grabbed by the collar
2 SD when grabbed by hair
2 SD when grabbed in bear hug
2 SD when in fore arm neck lock
2 SD when being choked from front
2 SD when grabbed by 2 people on each wrist
2 SD when grabbed by 2 people wrist and legs
2 SD when grabbed in bear hug and one other person running at you
3 SD from different knife attacks
2 SD with gun in face and from behind with gun
All kicking techniques x4
Line drill kicking x2
All jump kick x2
All running kicks x2
Basic combo kicks x2
5 kick Combo x2 (Instructor calls out combo once and you must remember the combo)
8 kick Combo x2 (Instructor calls out combo once and you must remember the combo)
End Day 1

Day 2 = Endurance 5 hours
Mile run - under 10 min all students (Under 8 for most and under 7 for some)
100 meter dash x3 (under 15 sec for most)

30 Second drills (as many as you can in 30 seconds) 30 second rest between drills. Must make the minimum number but should do more. fail any drill and you have 2 attempts after all drills are done to attempt the failed drill again. If you fail on the given 2 attempts then you fail and wait 6 months to test again.
Pushup - 30 min
Pushup then jump ups - 15 min
Situps - 30 min
Left side single leg knee highs - 60 min
Right side single leg knee highs - 60 min
Running knee highs - 120 min
Jumpping knee highs - 30 min
Froggie jumps minis - 50 min
Froggie (squat) jumps full - 25 min
Lunges - 25 min
Leg lifts - 35 min
Back Bridge pushups - 20 min
Back situps - 40 min
Left leg running kicks - 50 min
Right leg running kicks - 50 min
Left leg running kicks face high - 40 min
Right leg running kicks face high - 40 min
Running kicks both legs face high - 30 min
Back spinning hook kick right leg - 20 min
Back spinning hook kick left leg - 20 min
Back kick (right left alternating) - 20 min
Spinning turning roundhouse (right left alternating) - 20 min

Breaking (7 boards) 3 hand techniques 4 kicking techniques
Breaking (min 3 bricks) Instructor picks technique

Sparring (1 on 1) 2 2:00 rounds (fresh opponet each round)
Sparring (2 on 1) 2 2:00 rounds (fresh opponets each round)
Sparring (3 on 1) 2 2:00 rounds (rotaing opponets every 30 seconds)

Oral exam - 20-30 questions from instructor.
Read out loud your BlackBelt essays
End Day 2 (Hope you are still standing)

I think I got it all in without the 7 pages. There are a ton of kicks on day 1. I think day one is more enduance than day 2 but many fail on day 2 because they can not make the minimum number of some drills. Also on day 2 you are so sore that you can barley walk. Fun stuff. Some fail the Oral exam also.

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Demonstrate every poomse (kijo-il-bo, all Taegeuks, Palgue-yuk-jang). A whole lot of kicking. Seven three-step-sparring, 13 one-step-sparring. Four board breaks of my choice and knife hand brick break. Two rounds sparring against one opponent, two rounds sparring against two opponents. Answer a few basic questions.

tkd2009

White Belt
Reaction score
On the discussion of BB testing, I have been invited to a BB testing event next week and I was just wondering what sorts of gifts (if any) are recommended?

I have never been to anything like this before so I would like to know the customs and such.

Thanks for any input!

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
yeah, because people with bad knees or weight problems dont deserve to learn how to defend themselves........
Crap I'm out...I had two surgeries on my knees...and my heart...and a collapsed lung. Tell me do you get demoted for each injury you have?..if so I believe I am back to white belt again....perhaps even no belt.:whip1:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My GM gives a very, very physical test. He is very old school and wants you to show strong spirit through a very physical test.

Both my kendo and TKD tests were very sparring heavy and both included warmups, though no running. The warmup is the same warmup that we do in class, so it is not so much a part of the test as it is him wanting to make sure that you are indeed warmed up. I am in agreement with TF regarding running as part of a test; not that I think of it as stupid, but that I feel that running is not what we go to class to learn how to do. If I was told that I had to do it to pass the test, yes, I would.

My taekwondo test had an essay requirement. Only one page, but we had to read it aloud. I also was required to know all of the Korean vocabulary associated with TKD.

Then, it required performance of all eight Taegeuk poomsae, 100 each of front kicks, turning kicks, axe kicks, side kicks, hook kicks and back hook kicks, and punches. Then combinations of kicks and punches. I had to perform two breaks, picked at random by him.

After that, about forty minutes of straight sparring against various opponents.

All of my kendo dan testings were more intense than this, particularly my thrid dan.

Daniel

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My kendo tests each required 400 haya suburi, with the last one requiring an additional amount for nito. That was actually worse than the kicks.

The sparing in kendo was over an hour and the first forty minutes or so was all nito ryu.

Daniel

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
good luck getting someone to WATCH 16 hours of this to judge it.........sounds like boot camp,not a BB test.

Do not want to type the 7 pages of things we do but here is the jist of it.

Week prior to physical test is a 50 question written test. Must past written test with 80% or you do not take the phyical test and must wait 6 months to test again.

2 BlackBelt Essays (One Thank you essay and one What has TKD done for you essay).

Day 1 = Techniques 6-8 hours
All Punches (Singles, Multiple, Combos, ect...)
All Forms in order then in random order as called out by the Master
Self creational form
Weapons form (Self creational)
20 one steps in order then in random order
10 self created one steps
2 SD when grabbed by the wrist
2 SD when grabbed by the collar
2 SD when grabbed by hair
2 SD when grabbed in bear hug
2 SD when in fore arm neck lock
2 SD when being choked from front
2 SD when grabbed by 2 people on each wrist
2 SD when grabbed by 2 people wrist and legs
2 SD when grabbed in bear hug and one other person running at you
3 SD from different knife attacks
2 SD with gun in face and from behind with gun
All kicking techniques x4
Line drill kicking x2
All jump kick x2
All running kicks x2
Basic combo kicks x2
5 kick Combo x2 (Instructor calls out combo once and you must remember the combo)
8 kick Combo x2 (Instructor calls out combo once and you must remember the combo)
End Day 1

Day 2 = Endurance 5 hours
Mile run - under 10 min all students (Under 8 for most and under 7 for some)
100 meter dash x3 (under 15 sec for most)

30 Second drills (as many as you can in 30 seconds) 30 second rest between drills. Must make the minimum number but should do more. fail any drill and you have 2 attempts after all drills are done to attempt the failed drill again. If you fail on the given 2 attempts then you fail and wait 6 months to test again.
Pushup - 30 min
Pushup then jump ups - 15 min
Situps - 30 min
Left side single leg knee highs - 60 min
Right side single leg knee highs - 60 min
Running knee highs - 120 min
Jumpping knee highs - 30 min
Froggie jumps minis - 50 min
Froggie (squat) jumps full - 25 min
Lunges - 25 min
Leg lifts - 35 min
Back Bridge pushups - 20 min
Back situps - 40 min
Left leg running kicks - 50 min
Right leg running kicks - 50 min
Left leg running kicks face high - 40 min
Right leg running kicks face high - 40 min
Running kicks both legs face high - 30 min
Back spinning hook kick right leg - 20 min
Back spinning hook kick left leg - 20 min
Back kick (right left alternating) - 20 min
Spinning turning roundhouse (right left alternating) - 20 min

Breaking (7 boards) 3 hand techniques 4 kicking techniques
Breaking (min 3 bricks) Instructor picks technique

Sparring (1 on 1) 2 2:00 rounds (fresh opponet each round)
Sparring (2 on 1) 2 2:00 rounds (fresh opponets each round)
Sparring (3 on 1) 2 2:00 rounds (rotaing opponets every 30 seconds)

Oral exam - 20-30 questions from instructor.
Read out loud your BlackBelt essays
End Day 2 (Hope you are still standing)

I think I got it all in without the 7 pages. There are a ton of kicks on day 1. I think day one is more enduance than day 2 but many fail on day 2 because they can not make the minimum number of some drills. Also on day 2 you are so sore that you can barley walk. Fun stuff. Some fail the Oral exam also.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
good luck getting someone to WATCH 16 hours of this to judge it.........sounds like boot camp,not a BB test.
Ha ha ha...Yeah I know. We tried it all in 1 day once and it started at 10:00am and lasted until 2:30 the next morning. We went back to 2 days. The only problem with 2 days is that you are so sore the 2nd day that you think twice about showing up the 2nd day. I had to take an ice bath the night before. Our Master is from Korea and says that it is all about mental toughness. Took 2 days off work just to recover.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok, here we go again

you do whatever works for you.

for me? this sounds like excessive, needless sadism.

there isnt enough IN tae kwon do to require an 8 hour test, much less 16 hours. Most of that time is taken up with endless reps.

Here is my favorite part: Day 2, 6 HOURS of exercise, yet only 12 minutes of fighting total.

sorry, not for me.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here again I insert the family issue. They cant handle 6-8 hours. 3-4 is about tops.
Personally I think you should be able to run through these in that time:
Basic Movements
Kicking Techniques
All Required Forms
Sparring
Breaking
Selfe defense / 1/2/3 steps
Terminology, questions, paper etc.

You dont ahve to have anyone attend but if you want to make it an event consider that too.

Dave O.

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a lot doing techniques, which is fine, but shouldn't the actual techiniques and number systems be gone by then?

I think by the time you test for black, you should be able to react to being attacked whether left or right, punch or kick, and the techniques should just come.

Same with knife, club and multiple attackers. I don't need someone to tell me to do all my punch outs, then I know what's coming. I would think the real test would be doing them when you don't know what's coming.

For me, running and pushups and stretching for that matter should be done at home. I wanna see if you can fight and defend yourself.

Latest Discussions