Black belt testing

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you DONT allow parent sto watch thier kids, and one gets hurt?

you might as well sign over your school to them.

thats in addition to the fact that it is stupid. I REFUSE to EVER be alone with a minor.

That's an extremely logical precaution to take. I only have one minor student, a 16 year old boy, and yet I am constantly thinking about whether what I am teaching is suitable for him or not. I don't believe I will take on another minor student, but that's really another thread.

With regard to testing, in Goju-ryu karate you remove your top (or down to a tshirt/tank for women) and are bare-chested during performance of Sanchin kata, so the teacher can confirm the correct muscle groups are tensioned or relaxed. You just can't do this with children without their parents being present to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

Last edited:
OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score

thats in addition to the fact that it is stupid. I REFUSE to EVER be alone with a minor.

I understand, I'm the same way about being along with aminor.. But I was assuming that more then one person was testing.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
oh, ok, I wasnt gonna, but i cant NOT...

You do whatever works for you, BUT (be advised,t eh following is my opinion, and i am a jerk. if i offend, sorry)

If someone told me I had to do a two mile run to army standards for a 1st dan test? I would tell them exactly what part of my butt they can start kissing.

And push ups, sit ups, and other warm up exercises on a TEST?

waste of my time and thiers. If you claim it is to wear them out, so they have to test tired, thats semi-plausable, but still stupid. You will not be tired in all probability when you are attacked.

If its for them to 'demonstrate thier fitness" it is compeltely stupid.

if they are not in shape, dont let them test. If they are, you are just wasting time.

If you want to test thier gut, to see how bad they want it, make them spar more.

Running is for people that DONT know how to stand there and fight.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
1.How do you keep the parents from complaining about not being able to see the test?

It is known well beforehand that they are not allowed to watch, and it is an accepted practice in the school. A few of the parents have commented on it but they all understand.

2. I like the part of having to wait to see if you pass, have you had problems with this also?

I give them their dan testing packet when they graduate to 1st gup. From there it takes six months minimum to test for 1st Dan/Poom. I also discuss it with the int/adv level students on a regular basis. Every day they come to class I encourage them to train 100%, as today can be a step toward passing that test. I let them know well in advance what is expected of them. There are a lot of schools in the area that issue the "your check cleared" dan certificate, so most parents and students are appreciative of our process.

3. Do you get them a school dan at the ceremony and then the KKW when it comes in ?

They get a provisional dan certificate until their kukkiwon arrives.

4.If they fail how do you handle the retest?

We hold dan testing once every six months. If they do not pass, they wait for the next one. The class requirements and the homework packet they receive greatly increased the pass rate of the test. Leading up to the testing, they are required a minimum number of classes per week, and daily home work requirements to be signed off by the parents (this helps mom and dad feel like part of the process as well).

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score

You do whatever works for you, BUT (be advised,t eh following is my opinion, and i am a jerk. if i offend, sorry)

If someone told me I had to do a two mile run to army standards for a 1st dan test? I would tell them exactly what part of my butt they can start kissing.

waste of my time and thiers. If you claim it is to wear them out, so they have to test tired, thats semi-plausable, but still stupid. You will not be tired in all probability when you are attacked.

if they are not in shape, dont let them test. If they are, you are just wasting time.

If you want to test thier gut, to see how bad they want it, make them spar more.

What your problem!!
Very post I read from you is negitive!!! I wonder how you insire anyone with that attitude. Why can't you just understand that there are differences in everything in life, including the martial arts.. These people who post here come to have a exchange of idea's, not to beput down.

How many children do you teach?
How is your retention?
Do your BB stay and if so how long?

Because withall the cramp in life... yours is not needed!

and lastly...IS THAT YOU ON YOU TUBE DOING THAT *** CRAZY CANE FORM! because if so.... you need acting lessons.

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score

I would probably feel the same way if I couldn't run a mile either.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What your problem!!

a terminal case of honestly, and a large dose of "dont care what anyone else thinks"

Very post I read from you is negitive!!! I wonder how you insire anyone with that attitude.

I try to "insire" by teaching martial arts. Solid, No BS, self defense oriented martial arts. not running. And my students LIKE the fact that I call it like i see it.

These people who post here come to have a exchange of idea's, not to beput down.

I am exchanging ideas. My idea is that running for a belt test is STUPID. Feel free to disagree.

How many children do you teach?
How is your retention?
Do your BB stay and if so how long?

90% of my students right now children. Not that thats any of your business.

and lastly...IS THAT YOU ON YOU TUBE DOING THAT *** CRAZY CANE FORM! because if so.... you need acting lessons.

maybe so. But it wasnt an acting test.

Jphtkd,
you do whatever you think is right, i think it is stupid. But hey, I think the KKW thing is stupid too. I know many disagree, but i dont care. 25 years in, I have earned my opinions. But here is the thing, I dont care if you think what I do is stupid. Why do you care if i disagree with your program?

as for your little quip, I am pretty sure I can still run a mile. i WAS gonna say that you can come on down to my school and find out exactly what I can or cant do....but, better direction for the converrsation: WHY do you require a TWO mile run?

Jphtkd

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Go back up and read the posts again and maybe you will figure it out eventually.

Just to clarify, the age old "lets take it out to the mat mentality"... even if I beat it into you, you would not get it anyway. A waste of time for everyone involved. In my experience, the people who like to use that mentality hardly ever have the skills to back it up anyway. Yay for keyboard courage.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Now keep in mind that only our black belt testing does not allow spectators. Regular belt testing is fine with spectators.

This will be our 3rd jr. bb testing that Sensei has ever held. Before that you were a jr. brown belt until you were old enough to go into the adult class and you started working towards your adult bb.

We have never had anyone under the age of 14 be qualified for a jr. bb and those kids have been with us for minimum 5 years so the parents are pretty secured that we would not intentionally harm their kids at a testing. Secondly there is always more than just one instructor so you are never left alone with a minor.

This particular test coming up on the 15th will be the first one that we have both jr.and adult testing at the same time.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the test is more for the audience version that finishes with a pass. This means you have pre test in class and yes...get denied when you are not ready. For the younger folks its such a big build up and after half a day of performing its a sense of closure for everyone to know they passed.
No parents is just the scariest thing out there in todays world. Good luck as long as that lasts.
I will also have to half agree with TF on the running. I dont see it as part of a test. I am OK with it being a requirement. Ability to do X amount of push up and sit ups etc. But I would expect that to be a class room pre test item or on your own but be willing to demo. I would never take class or family test time up with running. A better endurance test is having them spar 5 rounds consecutive and every round placing a fresh Black belt in. You get the endurance and you get what you are testing for.

Dave O.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stacy,
other than the warm ups being part of the test, which you KNOW how I feel about, this test seems pretty much in line.

Seems like too much sparring, i mean, 3 HOURS? but thats ok. At least sparring is actually a part of martial arts.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
a terminal case of honestly, and a large dose of "dont care what anyone else thinks"

I try to "insire" by teaching martial arts. Solid, No BS, self defense oriented martial arts. not running. And my students LIKE the fact that I call it like i see it.

I am exchanging ideas. My idea is that running for a belt test is STUPID. Feel free to disagree.

90% of my students right now children. Not that thats any of your business.

maybe so. But it wasnt an acting test.

Jphtkd,
you do whatever you think is right, i think it is stupid. But hey, I think the KKW thing is stupid too. I know many disagree, but i dont care. 25 years in, I have earned my opinions. But here is the thing, I dont care if you think what I do is stupid. Why do you care if i disagree with your program?

as for your little quip, I am pretty sure I can still run a mile. i WAS gonna say that you can come on down to my school and find out exactly what I can or cant do....but, better direction for the converrsation: WHY do you require a TWO mile run?

Did you train for yourself today?

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Stacy,
other than the warm ups being part of the test, which you KNOW how I feel about, this test seems pretty much in line.

Seems like too much sparring, i mean, 3 HOURS? but thats ok. At least sparring is actually a part of martial arts.

come on now... don't try to nice.. we know you!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
nope, i re-read your posts, and a two mile run is never explained, so I still think it is stupid. Please tell me why it is a good idea.

oh, and BTW- YOU started it with your little "if i couldnt run a mile" snarky crap. So dont go crying when someone calls you on your crap. YOU challenged ME.

I agree, to an extent, that challenges are sort of silly, but when you throw a glove, dont act offended when someone throws one back.....

Go back up and read the posts again and maybe you will figure it out eventually.

Just to clarify, the age old "lets take it out to the mat mentality"... even if I beat it into you, you would not get it anyway. A waste of time for everyone involved. In my experience, the people who like to use that mentality hardly ever have the skills to back it up anyway. Yay for keyboard courage.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not a moderator, but can we cool it with the personal insults? Thanks.

OP
NPTKD

NPTKD

Brown Belt
Reaction score
okay.. back on topic...

It sounds like most of you are testing and then having so kind of ceremony on a later date( which I like) are you doing this for your gups also?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
see, i was brought up testing, and not finding out till later if you passed, for UNDERBELTS

for BB? we always found out THEN wether we passed or not.

I have changed that around to giving out underbelt results on the spot.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
okay.. back on topic...

It sounds like most of you are testing and then having so kind of ceremony on a later date( which I like) are you doing this for your gups also?

Since failure is a very real possibility in my exams, kyu (gup) or otherwise, I announce the results right away along with feedback. Sometimes the reaction is emotional, but I see no reason to wait. In my school, it's very obvious whether you know and can perform the material or not. I don't generally ask a student to test however, unless I think they are ready. The students I fail generally fail because they gave up during the exam - not because their skills were poor.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Well if you were sorry if you offend you wouldn't say anything and I don't believe you will be winning any Miss Congeniality award anytime soon. ha.haha.

Would you? You have said in the past that you do things as your instructor taught them to you. Are you saying that if he told you that to get your 1st dan you needed to do a 2mile run as part of your test you would have told him to kiss off? Why? BTW...Army standard for the 2 mile is between 13:00 - 13:50 depending on your age group. That is also at full credit on your fitness for combat training. Being you are a man of fighting ways I would think this would appeal to you.

What is wrong with having a standard warm up at a test? We personally don't have a requirement. You start with a standard 50-50-50 (Push-ups, sit ups, leg lifts) as well as 100 jumping jacks and some stretches. Now thorugh out the test a wrong answer or bad technique will earn you 10 pushups, which by the time the test ends adds up only to be rewarded with a standard 500 push-ups at the end of the test.

Neither will you be dressed in funny pajamas either...but you still test in a uniform.

Why? If you are an instructor teaching kids how to be fit don't you feel you should be fit as well?

What's the difference? Outside a more probable chance of injury when you are tired and fighting. And please don't start with trying to link this to what would happen in a real fight, because you already said you most likely wouldn't be tired in a street fight.

I know how to stand there and fight...I run. :)

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
My opinion comes from being the student, the instructor, the parent and the parent who brings the grand parents.

Ask around more. If it involves younger students, parents and any other family or friends they are just let down regardless of the end result when the event ends and they dont know if the student passed.

I guess if its a school test then so be it but if you want it to be a big event let it end in the celebration everyone wants to have. You can formaly announce the passing and still schedule a certificate/Belt ceremony. But this way the family goes to baskin Robins.

Latest Discussions