Black belt testing

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I disagree

the whole point was for WEAKER people to be able to protect themselves from stronger people by moving better and smarter
Best propagand ever to get weaker people up doing something to make them stronger. You have to be conditioned, body, spirit, and mind. This is what MA developes, weather you believe it or not.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I disagree

the whole point was for WEAKER people to be able to protect themselves from stronger people by moving better and smarter

I dont. All things being equal... the fittest guy/gal will win! Every self defence expert in the world will tell you that fitness is an essential part of SD!

Stuart

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont. All things being equal... the fittest guy/gal will win! Every self defence expert in the world will tell you that fitness is an essential part of SD!

Stuart

ah, but thats just it, we dont train for "all things being equal"

we dont train to fight other trained martial artists

we train to defend against street thugs.

now, everyone should be fit as they can be.

is it required for effective self defense?

nope

thats all I am saying.

and feel free to disagree.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
ah, but thats just it, we dont train for "all things being equal"
Didnt say we did.. but IF.. then those that dont will lose!

we dont train to fight other trained martial artists
We do... we train for defense against ANYONE.. that includes martial artists going the wrong way! And we dont train to lose!

we train to defend against street thugs.
Those too.. I hope that street thuig hasnt hit the gym or done martial arts though!! :uhyeah:

now, everyone should be fit as they can be.

is it required for effective self defense?

nope
Hmmmmmm.... yup! Not super fit... just fit enough! Much of the vids Ive seen on YouTube of so called martial artists doing their thing, wouldnt last 5 minutes outside their dojang.. they run through the moves, but would be gasping for breath in a real encounter. Sorry, but if you dont teach some element of fitness, then you cant be teaching MA correctly!

and feel free to disagree.
I do... strongly!

Stuart

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Didnt say we did.. but IF.. then those that dont will lose!

We do... we train for defense against ANYONE.. that includes martial artists going the wrong way! And we dont train to lose!

Those too.. I hope that street thuig hasnt hit the gym or done martial arts though!! :uhyeah:

Hmmmmmm.... yup! Not super fit... just fit enough! Much of the vids Ive seen on YouTube of so called martial artists doing their thing, wouldnt last 5 minutes outside their dojang.. they run through the moves, but would be gasping for breath in a real encounter. Sorry, but if you dont teach some element of fitness, then you cant be teaching MA correctly!

I do... strongly!

Stuart
Very good point Sturart. We must train to handle the unknown. There are many street thugs that have MA backgrounds. We do not pick and choose who we defend againt. We must be ready for all situations. Fitness can not be ignored.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Though in the main I agree with Daniel S.. we do around 45 mins to an hour of warm up/exercise at classes.. every class, so people do lose weight at our classes... though I dont use that as an advertisment for them really. However, all our adult classes are 2 hours long, so we have the scope for so much exercise, but its because I beleive in the "fit to fight" moto, as opposed to "join us and lose weight" type of thing!

Stuart
Fit to fight I completely agree with, though I suppose that there are as many different definitions to that as there are styles of martial arts. But fit to fight does not always equal weight loss. I have gained about fifteen pounds since I got back into taekwondo three years ago due to muscle building. Our classes are pretty intense on the warmups and I make sure to eat very well to take maximum benefit.

So I have gained weight and am more fit than I was before I started. Even people who lose fat, if they gain muscle may not actually lose weight, as muscle is heavier than fat. Thus I would likely not advertise weight loss.

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Each there own, being in shape and being fit is two totally different things here. I can be one without the other.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fit to fight I completely agree with, though I suppose that there are as many different definitions to that as there are styles of martial arts. But fit to fight does not always equal weight loss. I have gained about fifteen pounds since I got back into taekwondo three years ago due to muscle building.
I guess so, but the way i see it, is that SD/Patterns/whatever are our first line of defence (well second actually but Im ignoring enviromental awareness for the physical elements), now, as we are only human, there is a good chance that an altercation will go beyond that aka a fight, and the way i see it, though a fight should be over pretty quickly (with good training) one needs to be able to go, and keep going, at maximum for at least 5 minutes.. that requires fitness.. in turn, that requires hard work, which in turn makes you sweat, which in turn loses weight. Granted, not for everyone (eg. like you, theres a guy in my school who does weight training as well, so is building weight), but in general, with a reasonable diet, weight is lost IMO.

However, all that being said, some people lose weight more readily than others, myself for example, has stayed the same weight roughly since I started, because I have a fast matablism anyway and TBH, hardly any fat to lose.

Like I said, even though i think many would lose weight at my classes, I wouldnt use that as an advert, not cos its untrue, but simply because I'm not teaching weightloss and see it as a by-product of martial arts training - which is what I do teach.

Stuart

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like I said, even though i think many would lose weight at my classes, I wouldnt use that as an advert, not cos its untrue, but simply because I'm not teaching weightloss and see it as a by-product of martial arts training - which is what I do teach.
100% spot on.

Daniel

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would say for those that are questioning this that some sparring time will tell. Why bother arguing the point. If you can spar 5 rounds thats about what you need for any fight.
I am not thin but not fat either. I would love to drop about 10 or 15 but it keeps coming back. At the same time the odd thing is I fight better with a bit more meat on me. I take the shots better and plow through my opponents.
I am very comfortable with the balance of my skills and body because I prove it to myself at least twice a month.
As long as you are not that teacher that wakes up one day and is large and has not tossed around in 5 years but like the high school athlete thinks you still got it you are fine. I have a friend who is a big guy but wow he does not run out of gas. Add that to some nice technique and powerfull shots and there is no discussion needed.

Dave O.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I haven't lost weight directly as a result of MA, but it serves as an incentive. If I get too heavy my knees and feet hurt and I can't jump. I want to be good at karate, not just barely competent, so I watch my diet and try to get enough cardio. I've upped the fitness portion of my workouts lately, and have gained some weight as a result of muscle gain.

I have also noticed that if I lose too much weight, it's harder to stay on my feet when sparring. I fight some BIG women, and some of them have very loose definitions of "light to moderate contact". So I try to maintain a happy medium.

TaekwondoForLife

White Belt
Reaction score
Our 1st-3rd Dan black belt tests:

Perform Palgue Chil and Pal, or Koryo-Kumgang-Taebaek no count. We don't need to see every form you ever did.

Free fight three separate opponents wearing headgear. You are expected to demonstrate moderate contact with control. If you fight black belts, you must be able to contact them.

At least one breaking technique that showcases your best technique and is appropriate for your level. If you are testing for 1st Dan, don't show me some advanced jumping kick unless you are very good, save those for 2nd or 3rd Dan. Show me good basic breaks.

First Dan testers must also submit a three page essay on their thoughts about Taekwondo and why they practice.

Latest Discussions