Belt Preferance

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most look alright apart from the guy in the flag gi. I always thought those looked stupid. Also is the guy in the front row wearing jeans and a gi jacket?...that's a very odd combo lol

Oh I know! Seido is soooo oppressive!!! No individuality!!! We're all just numbers to them!!!

How about everyone wearing the same thing so everyone's on the same level and there's no "My gi has sooo much more bling than yours!" How about everyone wearing the same thing so people aren't hung up what they're wearing and can just shut up and train?

I don't have anything against what @Buka said and does. I'm not fashion police by any stretch of the imagination. If I was his student, I'd wear a plain gi and be done with it.

The Stars and Stripes Elvis gi (he designed it and paid for those guys like Bill Wallace's gi) that one of Buka's guys is wearing is pretty cool in a comedic way. It's just not for me.

The guy in front is wearing a jeans gi top, yes. The pants were that color, but regular material if I remember correctly. He was a twenty year military man, underwater demo guy, but really sweet. He's a merc now.

And, sure, make fun of my flag gi! [I'm giving you the raspberry righ now!] That flag gi originally belonged to one of my instructors, Joe Lewis. It shrunk so he gave it to me. I love when that happens. :)

I then wore that gi as part of a U.S team representing our country in international competition. And I loved that gi, it's got some history to it. I passed it down to "Chink" the guy wearing it in that photo. He was an undercover cop and one of the smartest fighters I've ever trained, also one of the nicest.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh I know! Seido is soooo oppressive!!! No individuality!!! We're all just numbers to them!!!

How about everyone wearing the same thing so everyone's on the same level and there's no "My gi has sooo much more bling than yours!" How about everyone wearing the same thing so people aren't hung up what they're wearing and can just shut up and train?

I don't have anything against what @Buka said and does. I'm not fashion police by any stretch of the imagination. If I was his student, I'd wear a plain gi and be done with it.

The Stars and Stripes Elvis gi (he designed it and paid for those guys like Bill Wallace's gi) that one of Buka's guys is wearing is pretty cool in a comedic way. It's just not for me.
but in the magical way these threads go round and get back to the beginning, they are not all wearing the same, they have different coloured belts as " bling".
uniforms are generaly prescribed by institutions that wish to remove individuality, and then they separate people only by ascribed rank.

there is actually no need for them apart from supressing individuality, they could all turn up in sports wear and still be as good or bad as they are

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wait so you're going on about freedom of expression yet yet this all started because of you talking crap about people who get their belts embroided hmm...take a minute to think about that
he was doing what he was instructed to do or would be punished and humiliated in front of the group, that doesn't,count as freedom of expression, that counts as oppression

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
he was doing what he was instructed to do or would be punished and humiliated in front of the group, that doesn't,count as freedom of expression, that counts as oppression
I think you're getting confused with all your dumb posts. You were bitching about everyone having to wear the same thing saying it's not freedom of expression yet you're talking **** on guys who express themselves in their own way with their belts

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
The guy in front is wearing a jeans gi top, yes. The pants were that color, but regular material if I remember correctly. He was a twenty year military man, underwater demo guy, but really sweet. He's a merc now.

And, sure, make fun of my flag gi! [I'm giving you the raspberry righ now!] That flag gi originally belonged to one of my instructors, Joe Lewis. It shrunk so he gave it to me. I love when that happens. :)

I then wore that gi as part of a U.S team representing our country in international competition. And I loved that gi, it's got some history to it. I passed it down to "Chink" the guy wearing it in that photo. He was an undercover cop and one of the smartest fighters I've ever trained, also one of the nicest.
Hey not making fun of it someone chooses to wear it good on them just something I wouldn't be caught dead wearing (especially since I'm not american lol)

Trained with joe lewis? Nice he was a great fighter and martial artist but no offence but from what I've seen from him in interviews and heard other opinions on him I don't think he's a guy I'd ever click with personality wise. Not saying he's a bad guy or anything just not the kind of person I'd get along with. I could be wrong though there's only so much these things show but as I say I have a lot of respect for his skills and sure he was a great teacher.

Also I very much doubt that nickname would be considered politically correct these days lol

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think you're getting confused with all your dumb posts. You were bitching about everyone having to wear the same thing saying it's not freedom of expression yet you're talking **** on guys who express themselves in their own way with their belts
i asked him what would happen if he turned up in an unstripped belt and he said he would be punished with press ups, at least read the thread

wearing only what your allowed to wear, is not freedom of expression or anything else

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
i asked him what would happen if he turned up in an unstripped belt and he said he would be punished with press ups, at least read the thread

wearing only what your allowed to wear, is not freedom of expression or anything else
And again that's not what I'm talking about

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it doesn't sound like your group is big on individuality and freedom of expression, yes i think i would be finding a,group a little less obsessive about uniform, with uniform comes uniformity and soon after the right to be an individual is removed,its all a bit big brother or the moonies for me

Yeah but it also fosters teamwork and commitment to the cause. You have played a fundamentalist argument here where one thing must mean all the things.

It doesn't have to. You can start and stop at any point.

Hence why pretty much everyone else in my gym is in a team GI.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can always have fun being you - with me. Up to green belt you had to wear black gi. From brown to black you could wear whatever the hell you want. Obviously, if you wear something stupid - it won't go well for you. And I'm sure the fashion police would have fits with how we dressed. F the fashion police.

My Black Belts. ladies and gentlemen, every one of them. They went through hell earning the right to wear what they want.

I'm the only one in white. Traditionalist all the way, that's me. :)
View attachment 20981
I might adopt that policy when it matters. I decided on black gi when I started my program/curriculum, but I'm not married to it. I've been pondering how much benefit there is to uniforms (I think there is some), and relaxing it later might be a satisfactory answer.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it doesn't sound like your group is big on individuality and freedom of expression, yes i think i would be finding a,group a little less obsessive about uniform, with uniform comes uniformity and soon after the right to be an individual is removed,its all a bit big brother or the moonies for me
Oddly, I've never experienced that, though the programs I trained in were far more persnickety about uniforms than I am. You are once again positing a cause and effect that is not in evidence.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Every professional sports team uses uniforms, even where it's not an issue of identification (like the Ryder cup). Yet, those players don't lose their ability to improvise or be individuals. Odd, ain't it?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every professional sports team uses uniforms, even where it's not an issue of identification (like the Ryder cup). Yet, those players don't lose their ability to improvise or be individuals. Odd, ain't it?
Not according to our resident "expert" who knows all, and everything is either black or white.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but in the magical way these threads go round and get back to the beginning, they are not all wearing the same, they have different coloured belts as " bling".
uniforms are generaly prescribed by institutions that wish to remove individuality, and then they separate people only by ascribed rank.

there is actually no need for them apart from supressing individuality, they could all turn up in sports wear and still be as good or bad as they are
If you think different colored belts are bling, feel free. Did you read my argument as to why it's beneficial for my organization to use them?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Congratulations @jobo for successfully turning a simple question into however many pages of idiotic nonsense yet again.

I respect your unique skill set.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I wasn't hatin' on his gi; I love it. I just wouldn't wear it, unless of course it had the history that particular one has.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wasn't hatin' on his gi; I love it. I just wouldn't wear it, unless of course it had the history that particular one has.
I'd have a hard time wearing it, even then. It's far outside being "me". I don't like those things - it's a good thing someone else does, so I don't have to wear them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd have a hard time wearing it, even then. It's far outside being "me". I don't like those things - it's a good thing someone else does, so I don't have to wear them.
Yup. Kinda like a tattoo you see on someone else that's really cool, but you'd never get it yourself.

Edit: I have a tattoo. I didn't mean not getting a tattoo, just not getting the one that looks cool on someone else.

Latest Discussions