Belt Preferance

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd have a hard time wearing it, even then. It's far outside being "me". I don't like those things - it's a good thing someone else does, so I don't have to wear them.
Actually, the more I think about it, I'd have just as hard a time not wearing it as wearing it. The guilt of not wearing a rift my teacher give me that was something sentimental to him would eat at me. It would get relegated as a strictly special occasion gi. And I'd be pretty self conscious while wearing it, but I'd suck it up and "take one for the team."

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Kinda like a tattoo you see on someone else that's really cool, but you'd never get it yourself.

Edit: I have a tattoo. I didn't mean not getting a tattoo, just not getting the one that looks cool on someone else.
Yes, like that. I've considered a tattoo, and never come across one that seemed right for me. But I kinda dig them. I know some folks who have some impressive ones I really like - but I wouldn't get.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, the more I think about it, I'd have just as hard a time not wearing it as wearing it. The guilt of not wearing a rift my teacher give me that was something sentimental to him would eat at me. It would get relegated as a strictly special occasion gi. And I'd be pretty self conscious while wearing it, but I'd suck it up and "take one for the team."
I suspect that gift was given because it would be worn. I wouldn't have that issue - none of my instructors would wear that, either. :D

Somehow, I'm actually more likely to wear DB's tie-dyed gi. I'm not sure why, but every now and then, tie-dyed stuff just works for me.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you like to keep your same black belt, or get a new one when you test and why?
I keep my old black belt. I wash it, use stick to beat on it, use sand paper to rub on it, until it looks like over 100 years old. Unfortunately one day I used my black belt to help someone to pull his car out of ditch, it broke. Now I have a new one and I lose my desire to make it "look old". To pretend as a young black belt just make me feel good.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I contacted my buddy Chink today. The name "Chink" was not about nationality, it was about how he fought. If you had a chink in your armor, he would find it, and he would find it very quickly. Really, really smart fighter.

Anyway, I asked him if he still had that gi top. He said it was probably in his cellar some place, would find it and send it to me. If any of you guys ever make it to Maui, let me know, I'll wear it when we work out. Hopefully, it will amuse you. :) It will sure as hell amuse me.

FighterTwister

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just want to know people's opinions on black belts. Do you like to keep your same black belt, or get a new one when you test and why?

I have seen people do this after completing full rank in their martial arts...............

51baba346a199a8f20396668600a9ef2--taekwondo-belts-karate-belts.jpg

62acb62d32f4b5769d199c4fb6a5f7a1.jpg

1651c68ab52e7a764d046bb9431fb172--belt-display-certificate-templates.jpg

I think thats a great thing to do, show casing your achievement, some people spend a fortune on a proper wall frame mount.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have seen people do this after completing full rank in their martial arts...............

51baba346a199a8f20396668600a9ef2--taekwondo-belts-karate-belts.jpg

62acb62d32f4b5769d199c4fb6a5f7a1.jpg

1651c68ab52e7a764d046bb9431fb172--belt-display-certificate-templates.jpg

I think thats a great thing to do, show casing your achievement, some people spend a fortune on a proper wall frame mount.
Stupid question... what do they wear when they train?
Another one... I see an orange belt in there. Do they do that for every belt? It must take up a lot of space if their organization uses a lot of belts.

Mine old belts are shoved in a closet. My 6 year old daughter asked my wife to buy me a belt display rack for Christmas 2 years ago so I can put my old belts on it. It's still in the box because I have no idea where I would hang up without anyone seeing it.

Edit: maybe I'll hang it up in their playroom if they see it and ask why it's not being used :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another one... I see an orange belt in there. Do they do that for every belt? It must take up a lot of space if their organization uses a lot of belts.

Mine old belts are shoved in a closet. My 6 year old daughter asked my wife to buy me a belt display rack for Christmas 2 years ago so I can put my old belts on it. It's still in the box because I have no idea where I would hang up without anyone seeing it.

Edit: maybe I'll hang it up in their playroom if they see it and ask why it's not being used :)

The basement is mostly my space. On the walls, I have a few award-winning photographs I've taken over the years, my Marine Corps meritorious promotion to Sergeant, my Honorable Discharge, and my Nidan certificate. I call it my "I love me" wall. No one sees it but me, and I only see it a couple times a year. I may put up a belt rack at some point, but I am pretty lazy, I may not.

I don't care what anyone thinks about it. It's not for them. And it's not that important to me, apparently. If my house were to be destroyed, I'd be sorry to lose those items, but I'd still be me.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every professional sports team uses uniforms, even where it's not an issue of identification (like the Ryder cup). Yet, those players don't lose their ability to improvise or be individuals. Odd, ain't it?
Yeah but it also fosters teamwork and commitment to the cause. You have played a fundamentalist argument here where one thing must mean all the things.

It doesn't have to. You can start and stop at any point.

Hence why pretty much everyone else in my gym is in a team GI.
well by defintion teamwork and commitment to a/ the cause removes individuality, that why organisations prescribe uniforms, to encourage behaviour to their benefit and not necessarily to the benefit of the individual, that may make not much difference or it could lead to an individual giving up his life in a armed forces situation

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you think different colored belts are bling, feel free. Did you read my argument as to why it's beneficial for my organization to use them?
yes, there is no doubt why its beneficial to the organisation, I'm waiting for some claim of why its beneficial to the individual?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Every professional sports team uses uniforms, even where it's not an issue of identification (like the Ryder cup). Yet, those players don't lose their ability to improvise or be individuals. Odd, ain't it?
id argue that the ryder,cup teams,do wear them for identifications , not for team mates but for the,crowd to know,who to boo.

but if their purpose isn't identification then what is their purpose? It can only be to remove individuality, there is no other logical reason to do so

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well by defintion teamwork and commitment to a/ the cause removes individuality, that why organisations prescribe uniforms, to encourage behaviour to their benefit and not necessarily to the benefit of the individual, that may make not much difference or it could lead to an individual giving up his life in a armed forces situation
Um, no. Teamwork does not remove individuality.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, there is no doubt why its beneficial to the organisation, I'm waiting for some claim of why its beneficial to the individual?
Anything that makes it easier for the instructor to teach should be to the benefit of the instructee. An individual's partners knowing what techniques he can and cannot handle (speaking mostly of standing throws) is definitely to their benefit.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id argue that the ryder,cup teams,do wear them for identifications , not for team mates but for the,crowd to know,who to boo.

but if their purpose isn't identification then what is their purpose? It can only be to remove individuality, there is no other logical reason to do so
Your statements seem to assert that teamwork is the opposite of individuality. That is not the case. When I teach managers how to better develop a sense of team, part of that is better recognizing the differences (strenghts and weaknesses) of the individuals. Making them all the same does not create more teamwork.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your statements seem to assert that teamwork is the opposite of individuality. That is not the case. When I teach managers how to better develop a sense of team, part of that is better recognizing the differences (strenghts and weaknesses) of the individuals. Making them all the same does not create more teamwork.
removing or reducing personality traits or behaviours that are not compatable with the goals of the organisation is a) good for team work and b) removing individuality.

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
for me if i was a 1st Dan i will keep my belt until it gets old thats how 1st dan is not unless your belt old and wrinkely and has a lot of tare then you have to change it

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
removing or reducing personality traits or behaviours that are not compatable with the goals of the organisation is a) good for team work and b) removing individuality.
Teamwork doesn't require removing, nor reducing, personality traits to any greater extent than good communication does.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I hear ya, bro. I use the closet too.

BoxOBelts.JPG

Otherwise they get like snakes on a plane. I only purchased one of them, which I've worn for a while now, the others were awarded to me over the years. I had the new one embroided in Japanese. It says "Rank is meaningless".

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You seriously have no idea how belts are beneficial to individuals? I know you're sharper than that. Belts are beneficial for the individual for about as many reasons as there are people wearing them.

I used to be motivated by them when I was in my late teens-early 20s. Not so much anymore. Now it benefits me by the same reasons it benefits my organization; it makes my life easier when I'm at an affiliated dojo, and keeps competition on a somewhat level playing field if the mood should strike me. I competed in our organization's annual tourney last year, and am contemplating doing it again next month.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Um, no. Teamwork does not remove individuality.
as a
You seriously have no idea how belts are beneficial to individuals? I know you're sharper than that. Belts are beneficial for the individual for about as many reasons as there are people wearing them.

I used to be motivated by them when I was in my late teens-early 20s. Not so much anymore. Now it benefits me by the same reasons it benefits my organization; it makes my life easier when I'm at an affiliated dojo, and keeps competition on a somewhat level playing field if the mood should strike me. I competed in our organization's annual tourney last year, and am contemplating doing it again next month.
are they motivated by pieces of coloured cloth or by having passed a test of competency?

let's make it simple, let's say there are two students attending the same class, they started at much the same time, they have passed the same grades, but one, let's call him jobo, doesn't wear his grade round his waist. whilst the other one, , let's call him JR does, what benefit does Jr get from wearing a belt, that jobo misses out on ?

Latest Discussions