Belt Preferance

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as a

are they motivated by pieces of coloured cloth or by having passed a test of competency?

let's make it simple, let's say there are two students attending the same class, they started at much the same time, they have passed the same grades, but one, let's call him jobo, doesn't wear his grade round his waist. whilst the other one, , let's call him JR does, what benefit does Jr get from wearing a belt, that jobo misses out on ?
He already answered that, Jobo:

Now it benefits me by the same reasons it benefits my organization; it makes my life easier when I'm at an affiliated dojo, and keeps competition on a somewhat level playing field if the mood should strike me. I competed in our organization's annual tourney last year, and am contemplating doing it again next month.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well by defintion teamwork and commitment to a/ the cause removes individuality, that why organisations prescribe uniforms, to encourage behaviour to their benefit and not necessarily to the benefit of the individual, that may make not much difference or it could lead to an individual giving up his life in a armed forces situation

The idea that you are the most important thing in the world is not individuality. It is self absorbtion.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
as a

are they motivated by pieces of coloured cloth or by having passed a test of competency?

let's make it simple, let's say there are two students attending the same class, they started at much the same time, they have passed the same grades, but one, let's call him jobo, doesn't wear his grade round his waist. whilst the other one, , let's call him JR does, what benefit does Jr get from wearing a belt, that jobo misses out on ?

One is not crapping in the face of the guy who gave him that grade. That has to count for something.

You don't understand the link between mental training and success though.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Teamwork doesn't require removing, nor reducing, personality traits to any greater extent than good communication does.
of course it does, being a team player is a personality trait, if you don't have that trait, you can't be a team player unless you change your personality.

i cant be in a team unless I'm in charge of the team, which always happen, because I'm out for number one, not for the team, so they put me in charge,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The idea that you are the most important thing in the world is not individuality. It is self absorbtion.
I'm the most important thing in the world to me( with the possible exception of,some children i know)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
of course it does, being a team player is a personality trait, if you don't have that trait, you can't be a team player unless you change your personality.

i cant be in a team unless I'm in charge of the team, which always happen, because I'm out for number one, not for the team, so they put me in charge,

I dont think you understand how teamwork works either.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
One is not crapping in the face of the guy who gave him that grade. That has to count for something.

You don't understand the link between mental training and success though.
didn't he earn the grade rather than be given it?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm the most important thing in the world to me( with the possible exception of,some children i know)

Yeah you and every other millennial. Which is why we have the limp wristed martial arts we do.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont think you understand how teamwork works either.
oh i do, they work great if i run them and not at all well if someone else is in charge of me. Then they replace the leader for not running a good team,

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
didn't he earn the grade rather than be given it?

Both.......... He eaned it. So someone gave it to him. Vey rarely can you tell your instructor in martial arts to just give you a grade. Mabye TKD. Not sure how that one works.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Both.......... He eaned it. So someone gave it to him. Vey rarely can you tell your instructor in martial arts to just give you a grade. Mabye TKD. Not sure how that one works.
no he earnt, and in most schools paid through the nose to be tested for it, at no point did anyone GIVE him anything.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you've lost me with that one?

Ok. The McDojo is designed to fill the needs of the individual. Which is generally a desire to get easy answers. Rather than good results.

People who succeed find an expert and give up their indiviuality to work for something more important than themselves.

Eg. Dillman.

Hard work is hard. Individually generally doesn't cut it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
no he earnt, and in most schools paid through the nose to be tested for it, at no point did anyone GIVE him anything.

The ones that focus on the individual might. That is my point. People pay for belts. Belts mean nothing. Training means nothing. Generally sub standard training.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

I think that just shows what type of person you are

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. The McDojo is designed to fill the needs of the individual. Which is generally a desire to get easy answers. Rather than good results.

People who succeed find an expert and give up their indiviuality to work for something more important than themselves.

Eg. Dillman.

Hard work is hard. Individually generally doesn't cut it.
that's a nonsensical argument, i train to be the best i can be, because I'm the most important person in the world to me( except for children) to give up my individuality to achieve that would mean in not me anymore,

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
successful?
I'm the sort of person who has to be in charge , that's not in its self a bad thing,
Yeah actually it is it shows you can't work with other people, it shows you're big headed and think you're better than everyone, it shows you don't listen to people, it shows you don't value other people and from this thread that's also very obvious.