Belt Preferance

Azulx

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just want to know people's opinions on black belts. Do you like to keep your same black belt, or get a new one when you test and why?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to know people's opinions on black belts. Do you like to keep your same black belt, or get a new one when you test and why?
I've kept the same one, because it's still in pretty good shape (I wear hakama over it about half the time, so less wear I guess). Most folks I know who replace theirs do so because either it doesn't look like they'd like (not everyone likes the worn-out look), or it's too worn to add new rank markings to it. Some replace it simply because they're given a new belt at promotion time.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We give new belts, because we do. If someone wanted to add a stripe to their old belt, I don't think anyone would object.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We don't give out new belts past shodan. All our black belts look the same. As I understand it, the stripes on the black belt thing is typically done incorrectly anyway. It's NOT one one stripe per black belt level. Three stripes means something like 8th Dan, although I can't recall at the moment (because we don't do it in our dojo, I guess).

We have several instructors who have been teaching more than 30 years, and they can wear a red/white panel belt if they prefer (6th Dan) or a solid red belt (9th Dan), but they normally do not do so unless invited somewhere as an honored guest and asked to wear them. They just wear plain black belts, just like mine (2nd Dan).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to ask for a matching tie, but since they're so uncommon now, I ask for socks.

GoldStripeSocks..png

I want to look the berries for big Martial hoe-downs.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not a black belt anymore, but my first school (I was a 1st dan) issued new belts with every promotion. My current school adds a stripe to the old belt, although I think you can request a new belt along with the old one's added stripe.

I'd rather keep the old one.
We don't give out new belts past shodan. All our black belts look the same. As I understand it, the stripes on the black belt thing is typically done incorrectly anyway. It's NOT one one stripe per black belt level. Three stripes means something like 8th Dan, although I can't recall at the moment (because we don't do it in our dojo, I guess).

We have several instructors who have been teaching more than 30 years, and they can wear a red/white panel belt if they prefer (6th Dan) or a solid red belt (9th Dan), but they normally do not do so unless invited somewhere as an honored guest and asked to wear them. They just wear plain black belts, just like mine (2nd Dan).
There's really no right nor wrong way. The only time it's right or wrong is if you're doing or not doing what everyone else is expected to do within your organization/rules set forth by your head honcho.

I haven't polled the various organizations, but I've noticed far more schools add a stripe each time then the ones who start at higher a predetermined rank.

The ones who start at a higher predetermined rank usually start stripes at 6th dan. I've seen it in Uechi Ryu and one other that I can't recall. I guess I'll add Isshin Ryu to my running list.

Some schools (American Kempo and I think Hatsumi's Ninjutsu) use a solid box for every 5 stripes, i.e. a 7th dan would have a solid red box with 2 red stripes above it; a 10th dan would have 2 solid red boxes.

I think Hatsumi's organization goes to 15th dan; I read that in a magazine article somewhere. 15th dan is unheard of practically everywhere else. Is that wrong? Only if your organization only goes to 10th dan.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm struggling to see the point of belts, yes ok they hold you gi in place, but i choose not to wear a gi so no need for a belt.
they denote rank or progress, but why do you need to advise people of that fact, they either know or will soon find out what standard you are. if i did wear a gi, i wouldnt bother buying a new belt to go with new rank, much less stick a tag on it, what that about?.

there was an amusing episode, where i attended class on a,different night and met a black belt who had recently joined from another group.

he mistook my apparel to mean i was a newbe, he went swoop swooz,, kick, twirl and then round himself sat on his bum, the look on his face was priceless,

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
In kenpo you keep the same belt. But you can replace it whenever you want. For example if mine got all messed up I could replace it myself if I wanted. At 5th dan you get presented with a new belt which has a big red block on it instead of 5 individual stripes.

Heck one kid who got his first dan went and got his name put on it in gold letters in both English and Chinese (god knows why) tbh I think it made him look like an idiot since even 7th dans don't have that on their belt but anyway

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm struggling to see the point of belts, yes ok they hold you gi in place, but i choose not to wear a gi so no need for a belt.
they denote rank or progress, but why do you need to advise people of that fact, they either know or will soon find out what standard you are. if i did wear a gi, i wouldnt bother buying a new belt to go with new rank, much less stick a tag on it, what that about?.

there was an amusing episode, where i attended class on a,different night and met a black belt who had recently joined from another group.

he mistook my apparel to mean i was a newbe, he went swoop swooz,, kick, twirl and then round himself sat on his bum, the look on his face was priceless,
Because it is important to some people...that is all.
Belts aren't important to others...that is all.
Some people like denium jeans, some don't...that is all.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
My school gives a new belt at every promotion. When I made 2nd Dan, I didn't like the idea because my 1st Dan belt was so soft and broken-in that it practically tied itself. The new one was just too stiff. Of course, after lots of wear and sweat, the 2nd Dan belt is even better. I took my first Dan belt to an embroidery place and had a second stripe added, and it is now my back-up belt.

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a few. I give my dan grade students a new belt with each promotion but the highest I've promoted anyone is to 4th and I don't promote that many black belts in the first place so it is really up to the student. Some of them like to wear the stripes, some of them wear plain black. I usually wear plain black unless it is test day.

The real question is if we should adopt a system of funny hats to denote rank. I think the order should go something like this...

Trucker Hat
Fez
Beanie
Bandanna
Tri Corner Cap
Stove Top Hat
Bowler
Cowboy Hat for instructors.

Just a thought,
Mark

P.S. Obviously, the Smurf Hat is for Grand Masters, only outranked by the Fuzzy Hat with Tiny Horns worn by the Loyal Order of the Water Buffalo.

P.P.S. I have come to believe that we make too much of a bit of fabric around our waists, I try to keep more perspective on the subjective now as I have gotten older.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think Hatsumi's organization goes to 15th dan; I read that in a magazine article somewhere. 15th dan is unheard of practically everywhere else. Is that wrong? Only if your organization only goes to 10th dan.

15?!? That's so awesome. A lot of systems only go to 10, if that. Why settle for just 10?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I'll add Isshin Ryu to my running list.

I agree no 'right' or 'wrong' to the stripes on black belts thing - it's per organization. What I meant to say is that Isshinryu does NOT do stripes on black belts, at least not my branch (WUIKA). We do offer those of 6th Dan and up a red/white panel belt and 9th and up a solid red belt - if they wish to wear it.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

Cool story bro needs more dragons

Latest Discussions