Avoid or invite confrontation?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, how about this incident: I had just bought the largest slurpee at 711, but that made me late for my haircut appointment. I drove on, but then when I was at a stop light, I realized I was in the right turn only lane and if I turned right, I would have been even more late. So when the light turned green, I sped up and drove fast so I didn't have to turn right. I apparently cut off a taxi driver when I did that, because he got really irate, started trying to run my beautiful Lexus off the road with his rusted out bucket of bolts, rolled down his window and was swearing at me all the way down the street. At the next light, as he was calling me every swear word that he could think of, I rolled down my window and whipped my slurpee at his windshield. By luck I guess, the slurpee hit his windshield in such a way that almost the entire windshield was covered, blocking his view so much that he had to turn his windshield wipers on so he could see. I didn't say a word and just looked at him. After that, his attitude completely changed, he rolled up his window and when the light turned green, he turned off the street the first chance he got. I made it to my haircut appointment slightly late, minus my slurpee which I like to drink while I am getting my hair cut.

That night, one of my female black belts asked me if I had gotten into an altercation with a taxi driver. She said that she was riding in the car directly behind the taxi and saw the whole thing. She said that was an awesome throw of the slurpee. I jokingly told her that was an improvisation off of hapkido rock throwing technique, and after that everyone wanted to learn how to throw rocks.
So I must ask, as his window was down; did were you aiming for the windshield or did you miss him on purpose?:D

Daniel

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok, how about this incident: I had just bought the largest slurpee at 711, but that made me late for my haircut appointment. I drove on, but then when I was at a stop light, I realized I was in the right turn only lane and if I turned right, I would have been even more late. So when the light turned green, I sped up and drove fast so I didn't have to turn right. I apparently cut off a taxi driver when I did that, because he got really irate, started trying to run my beautiful Lexus off the road with his rusted out bucket of bolts, rolled down his window and was swearing at me all the way down the street. At the next light, as he was calling me every swear word that he could think of, I rolled down my window and whipped my slurpee at his windshield. By luck I guess, the slurpee hit his windshield in such a way that almost the entire windshield was covered, blocking his view so much that he had to turn his windshield wipers on so he could see. I didn't say a word and just looked at him. After that, his attitude completely changed, he rolled up his window and when the light turned green, he turned off the street the first chance he got. I made it to my haircut appointment slightly late, minus my slurpee which I like to drink while I am getting my hair cut.

That night, one of my female black belts asked me if I had gotten into an altercation with a taxi driver. She said that she was riding in the car directly behind the taxi and saw the whole thing. She said that was an awesome throw of the slurpee. I jokingly told her that was an improvisation off of hapkido rock throwing technique, and after that everyone wanted to learn how to throw rocks.
I need more information on this before I can make a judgement,What kind of slurpee,and what size,and was this near Waikiki or outside of town.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What on earth is a slurpee?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I need more information on this before I can make a judgement,What kind of slurpee,and what size,and was this near Waikiki or outside of town.

Coke, the largest size in the clear plastic cup, and it was on the road going up to Ala Moana Center. We were traveling makai (south) on Keeaumoku, and the right turn lane was at the intersection of King and Keeaumoku, right near the Chevron gas station.

Also for the other person asking what a slurpee is, it is a frozen drink, like an icee, if you know what that is, except not as light.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Coke, the largest size in the clear plastic cup, and it was on the road going up to Ala Moana Center. We were traveling makai (south) on Keeaumoku, and the right turn lane was at the intersection of King and Keeaumoku, right near the Chevron gas station.

Also for the other person asking what a slurpee is, it is a frozen drink, like an icee, if you know what that is, except not as light.
He's lucky it wasn't an extra large coffee in his lap, lol.

Daniel

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of 'roid rage but was this a sugar rush then?

BTW it looks disgusting! :)

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually I could, but for what? You think I'm lying to you?

When someone offers as fact something that is opposite what you have been taught to be true, do you ask for a source of their knowledge, take it at face value as true, or ignore it completely? We are names (not even our real ones) on an internet message board. It's kind of hard to choose the second option in this instance, as we don't actually know each other. However, I am willing to choose the first option over the third.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
When someone offers as fact something that is opposite what you have been taught to be true, do you ask for a source of their knowledge, take it at face value as true, or ignore it completely? We are names (not even our real ones) on an internet message board. It's kind of hard to choose the second option in this instance, as we don't actually know each other. However, I am willing to choose the first option over the third.

I gave you names and specific examples already.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You gave stories. I am looking for writings or interviews, something more concrete than 'A guy on the internet said this'. Sorry if that offends you, but as I said, we are just names on a board.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's one more example, Sensei Mas Oyama:at

My own victories in karate have been a determining factor in spreading the fame of this most outstanding martial art all over the globe. I have an unbroken record of wins against boxers, wrestlers, judo men, Thai boxers, and even raging bulls. . . .

Years ago, in the United States, I wounded a white American wrestler and was chased about at riflepoint because of the white superiority complex and anti-Japanese feelings of this man and his companions. . . .

Experience is another good reason for struggling and fighting. In my younger years, in the United States and other parts of the world, I took part in many display matches that, if different from the struggle of life, were nonetheless dangerous. My aim in doing this was to introduce the oriental martial arts to as many people as possible. I was entirely serious, but after all these matches did not entail the desperate need for justice that would ahve been required had I been fighting wicked people out to take my life. On the other hand, though these matches were by and large only comparisons of skills and strength, I could have been gravely injured or even killed in them. . . .

Although law forbids dangerous combat, a man cannot know the true gravity of the martial arts until he has experienced it. What I am saying is not applicable to ordinary people, but men of the martial arts who have not fought in this way cannot be said to have put their martial arts to the uses for which they are intended.

I fully realize that what I am saying runs counter to the common sense of ordinary people living a peaceful life, but the martial arts are fundamentally military. They strive for peace, but do so by means of martial might and techniques. . . . This means that ordinary people as well as devotees of the martial arts ought to learn combat techniques. To ths end, instructors are needed; and these instructors must have actual combat experience, which they must share with their students. Obtaining this experience involves the danger of injury and even deformity, but there are things that cannot be mastered on the basis of theories alone. To earn the name of a man of the martial arts, a person must encounter and overcome true danger. . . .

I am probably the only postwar Japanese karate leader to have undergone actually dangerous combat and, as a result, have been criticized by them so called peaceful karate men. But how can men like these, no more than instructors in a kind of karate dance, instruct their students in combat techniques and spirit when they have never gone through combat?

Like I said, your argument is not with me, it's with the pioneers, which in this case is Kyokushin Kai's OYAMA Masutatsu Sensei.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
You gave stories. I am looking for writings or interviews, something more concrete than 'A guy on the internet said this'. Sorry if that offends you, but as I said, we are just names on a board.

It doesn't offend me, but I don't see the difference between me posting here my actual experiences with the pioneers were, and reading an interview or writing from a book, especially since I am seeing what I write on the internet showing up in books and magazine articles, not to mention webpages. If someone publishes a hearsay account of what I wrote, does that somehow make it more legitimate to you?

But I did post something that was written by Oyama Sensei in his book "The Kyokushin Way" published in 1979. There is also stories from Funakoshi Sensei in his autobiographical book Karate My Way of Life where he tells a story about him fighting with someone who tries to take his umbrella and also where I believe Matsumura Sensei, his teacher's teacher, doesn't walk away at all costs but instead accepts a challenge.

There are also stories out there of Aikido Founder Ueshiba Sensei doing all sorts of stuff, as well as his teacher TAKEDA Sokaku Sensei. Other people have already mentioned in posts that Motobu Sensei and Kyan Sensei would do things as well.

There are others, but if I give you all the answers, then it robs you of the opportunity to discover these things for yourself.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the Gracie family and their open challenge. I used to take GJJ from Relson Gracie when he first moved here, and he used to tell stories of fighting all the time. He and his family definitely weren't "walk away at all cost" types. They went for it, because if they didn't, GJJ wouldn't be what it is.

Where do the Gracies fit into your concept of right and wrong? Would they get kicked out of your instructor's class too?

dowan50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Here's one more example, Sensei Mas Oyama:at

My own victories in karate have been a determining factor in spreading the fame of this most outstanding martial art all over the globe. I have an unbroken record of wins against boxers, wrestlers, judo men, Thai boxers, and even raging bulls. . . .

Years ago, in the United States, I wounded a white American wrestler and was chased about at riflepoint because of the white superiority complex and anti-Japanese feelings of this man and his companions. . . .

Experience is another good reason for struggling and fighting. In my younger years, in the United States and other parts of the world, I took part in many display matches that, if different from the struggle of life, were nonetheless dangerous. My aim in doing this was to introduce the oriental martial arts to as many people as possible. I was entirely serious, but after all these matches did not entail the desperate need for justice that would ahve been required had I been fighting wicked people out to take my life. On the other hand, though these matches were by and large only comparisons of skills and strength, I could have been gravely injured or even killed in them. . . .

Although law forbids dangerous combat, a man cannot know the true gravity of the martial arts until he has experienced it. What I am saying is not applicable to ordinary people, but men of the martial arts who have not fought in this way cannot be said to have put their martial arts to the uses for which they are intended.

I fully realize that what I am saying runs counter to the common sense of ordinary people living a peaceful life, but the martial arts are fundamentally military. They strive for peace, but do so by means of martial might and techniques. . . . This means that ordinary people as well as devotees of the martial arts ought to learn combat techniques. To ths end, instructors are needed; and these instructors must have actual combat experience, which they must share with their students. Obtaining this experience involves the danger of injury and even deformity, but there are things that cannot be mastered on the basis of theories alone. To earn the name of a man of the martial arts, a person must encounter and overcome true danger. . . .

I am probably the only postwar Japanese karate leader to have undergone actually dangerous combat and, as a result, have been criticized by them so called peaceful karate men. But how can men like these, no more than instructors in a kind of karate dance, instruct their students in combat techniques and spirit when they have never gone through combat?

Like I said, your argument is not with me, it's with the pioneers, which in this case is Kyokushin Kai's OYAMA Masutatsu Sensei.

Would you care to enlighten us with how he died???

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
See, now you have directed me towards books that I can read in the person own words, something I can put my hands on. This is what I was looking for. Hopefully I can apply that towards finding something about an actual TKD pioneer and not Karate and Akido guys.

Someone of the mindset of going out and getting into a lot of fights to prove TKD would get tossed, no doubt.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is what I was looking for. Hopefully I can apply that towards finding something about an actual TKD pioneer and not Karate and Akido guys.

There aren't too many autobiographical books written by Taekwondo pioneers about that sort of thing. I think General Choi might be one of the few, and I can't remember exactly but I believe he might have spoken about some altercations that he was involved in when he was younger. But I have a hard time believing what he writes, since it is so slanted and filled with misinformation and his viewpoint so contrary to what the other pioneers say.

One example off the top of my head that I remember was his comment about GM LEE Won Kuk being a communist because when North Korea invaded South Korea, supposedly GM Lee was seen standing on the roof of the Chung Do Kwan waving a red banner. The fact of the matter is that GM Lee had already left South Korea for Japan prior to the North Korean invasion, and that if what General Choi said was true, that someone was standing on the roof of the Chung Do Kwan waving a red flag, it probably was GM YOO Woong Jun, who GM Lee appointed to replace him as Kwan Jang right before he left. But GM Yoo ended up voluntarily moving to North Korea, and the position of Kwan Jang then went to GM SON Duk Sung, who was the next senior.

Someone of the mindset of going out and getting into a lot of fights to prove TKD would get tossed, no doubt.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. But the idea of the "just walk away" comes from Japanese martial arts, specifically from Japanese sword arts. After the Tokugawa shogunate came into power, there was peace in the country for approximately 300 years. At the same time, samurai still were around, carrying swords. The country couldn't have samurai killing each other out in the streets, so out came the idea that we are a peaceful nation and we need to keep our swords in our scabbards.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
For me personally, I dont really care what the "pioneers" said about whether fighting is right or wrong. They lived in a very different world to what we do. In my opinion, these days it is just stupid to have the notion that you should go and get in fights to prove what you know works or that you should fight when its just not necessary. With all the legal stuff these days and people carrying disclosed weapons and the fact that all the guys mates will come and jump in it is just not viable to go and get in fights. I went to school with a mate who could fight well and would never back down to a challenge. I saw him get in countless fights and never even came close to losing one. I am good mates with him to this day and an injury sustained to his wrist in one of his fights has affected his life day in day out. He cant play many sports, it effects his employment (he is a tradesman) and it has just never healed properly and is worsening as he ages, he has even given up playing guitar which he was very passionate about. He regularly questions now if he really did win those fights because in the long run he has an injury that will affect the rest of his life when he could have just walked away. As for testing if what I know works, I train with guys who use the stuff for a living (leo's, bouncers etc) and are getting in fights on a day to day basis and when I talk to them they assure me it works and works well, so Im not about to go out and get in fights just to prove that what I train works. I havent been in a fight in over 16 years and will most probably never get in a fight again in my lifetime.

Latest Discussions