Avoid or invite confrontation?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guess my reference wasn't clear enough: I was suggesting that you'd lose credibility to teach self-control.

I guess it depends on what you consider self control. That guy's brother for example, thanked me for exhibiting self control for obviously not doing way more damage. He looked at me like I could have literally killed his brother if I wanted to. No permanent injuries, but he learned a valuable lesson and never bothered anyone ever again, according to his brother. But hey, if you don't approve, then ok. I don't live for your approval, so it's ok with me too.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
You say you GM doesn`t mind "as long as we don`t injure them permanatly". Do you have ESP or something that allows you to know how badly you`ll hurt the guy?(In all your training you`ve NEVER seen ANYONE get hit too hard by accident? Wow. ) For that matter did you know he wasn`t packing a gun? Or that his brother and couple friends wouldn`t be joining him to dance on your head?

I don't or didn't need ESP since he wasn't hurt permanently. I've heard of people getting hit too hard, one of my friends actually kicked someone in the chest and killed him. As for him packing a gun, he wasn't. As for a couple of friends joining in, no one did. But hey, if you don't like it, that's cool. No problem. Look down upon me all you want. :)

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I pitty the student that is impressed by the fact that their teacher is out picking fights in a bar. Sean

I pity the student learning "self defense" and "traditional martial ARTS" from someone with little or no self defense experience.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
The creators did not have to deal with the laws of any given state in the the U.S.; the authorities are whom we have to deal with after its all said and done, not GM Ji Han Jae. Sean

The security guard who watched the whole thing came up to me afterwards and asked me if he should call the police.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So you believe that because I don't have a KKW Dan cert that I am not qualified to teach TKD? That because I've never been in the situation that I have to fight that I'm not qualified? So anyone with the ITF or ATA or ITA isn't qualified? Because that pretty much sounds like what you are saying.

My instructors were never in fights, yet I had no problem believing in what they taught me.

A dan cert is a piece of paper. As pointed out in other threads, those papers are for sale. At the course with MR. AWESOME everyone passed before they even took the test. The cert means nothing. The instructor means everything.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, can you provide in written form, audio or video, any of the pioneers giving their feelings on fighting?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good question. I struggle mentally with the line myself.

Illustration: I'm at a college football game with my wife and son. A drunken fan of the opposing team throws an ice cold drink at my wife and pushes me into my 4 year old son. Aside from any legal repercussions, is this sufficient provocation to rearrange the drunk's face?
If you are able to move and sit elsewhere then thats what I would do. I remember a mate and I were having some beers on the beach at a training camp shortly after we got our black belts. We were walking along with a mate (non martial artist) and noticed a couple of loudmouthed thugs standing a bit further up the beach taunting anyone who walked past. Me and my mate just intsantly walked up off the beach and onto the footpath so we could go around them without actually going anywhere near them. Our mate who was a non martial artist could not understand why we would bother to go that far out of our way to avoid any confrontation if we had a black belt. Generally, Ive found people who can fight are more prepared not to fight than those who cant. Maybe because they dont feel they have anything to prove.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's all fun and games until someone loses and eye! Then it's just hillarious.
Sean

I never said it was fun, I said it wasn't our business if two people decide they want to go outside and sort their differences out, it is quite a common thing. Why would we get involved, we aren't their nannies or big brother. If they get injured after they've decided to have a brawl that's their tough luck. Getting involved would be equally silly, for all you know the pair of them could turn on you. Leave them to it.

There is an interesting point to discuss without making it about personalities as to whether a person who has never had a fight or had to defend themselves can teach people how to defend themselves. It is an interesting point. It can be discussed sensibly with the premise that we will walk away if we can but if we have to fight for ourselves or loved ones will will.

OP
S

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is an interesting point to discuss without making it about personalities as to whether a person who has never had a fight or had to defend themselves can teach people how to defend themselves. It is an interesting point. It can be discussed sensibly with the premise that we will walk away if we can but if we have to fight for ourselves or loved ones will will.

For me it comes down to ability and will. Training skills can lead to the ability, depending on quality of the practice. Perhaps the question is whether you can develop the will and composure to defend yourself in any other way than doing it. The answer is clearly yes, otherwise we wouldn't bother training our soldiers and law enforcement personnel.

However, I think not all students have the nature to learn it equally easily, as was discussed somewhat in the thread about gentle and meek students.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never surrender, never backdown, always confront anybody with extreme violence. This way you can never look like a sissy.
icon10.gif

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never surrender, never backdown, always confront anybody with extreme violence. This way you can never look like a sissy.
icon10.gif

Violence is the answer to everything! Well until you meet the person who's a better fighter than you anyway :)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Violence is the answer to everything! Well until you meet the person who's a better fighter than you anyway :)

Tez there is no-one beeter than me, I am the bomb. I am like crazy mad and could never be beaten by any mere mortal. I am like SUPERMAN without the cape or BATMAN without the utility belt. I turn into the HULK and can with stand any confrintation, like I said I am the BOMB......
icon10.gif

Sorry after reading some of this stuff in here, this is the impressionI get.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez there is no-one beeter than me, I am the bomb. I am like crazy mad and could never be beaten by any mere mortal. I am like SUPERMAN without the cape or BATMAN without the utility belt. I turn into the HULK and can with stand any confrintation, like I said I am the BOMB......
icon10.gif

Sorry after reading some of this stuff in here, this is the impressionI get.

LOL, it's something I have to deal with a lot of the time, it's like a David Attenborough wildlfe programme. Young males posturing and looking for reasons to fight, hopefully impressing the young females who are often egging them on, into going back to 'their place' for a leg over. Add alcohol into the situation and the scene is set.

One of the reason we like MMA is that it takes these young males and trains them hard, puts them in a competitve situation while teaching self discipline and sportsmanship. It gives all those hormones something to work on and like the young tribesmen sent out to kill a lion to prove their manhood, it marks a rite of passage for them so they can settle down and beome good members of society. Nine times out of then it works, we've had parents thank us and say how much nicer their sons have become, far less combatitive though they still don't tidy their bedrooms lol!

Tanaka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have no issues with what puunui did. Sounds like the guy was a bully. And Bullies are one of the biggest things I hate in this world. Admittedly what he did wouldn't of been enough for me to challenge him. I probably would of just said something very sarcastically rude, and whatever he decided to from there would dictate the future.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have no issues with what puunui did. Sounds like the guy was a bully. And Bullies are one of the biggest things I hate in this world. Admittedly what he did wouldn't of been enough for me to challenge him. I probably would of just said something very sarcastically rude, and whatever he decided to from there would dictate the future.
I agree with you.

Sometimes, people just feel the need to step on that last nerve. In Puunui's defense, I don't think I'd consider his actions to be provoking a fight. The man in question was apparently aggressive and provokative. Consider also that the man didn't really have to step outside. Puunui went to the gents and then left the building. The man in question could have simply stayed inside and enjoyed his drink. He could have then gone home with his nose entact and secure in his belief that he was a tough guy.

Also, I'm sure that the other patrons were glad when the confrontation migrated out of doors as well.

Daniel

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok, how about this incident: I had just bought the largest slurpee at 711, but that made me late for my haircut appointment. I drove on, but then when I was at a stop light, I realized I was in the right turn only lane and if I turned right, I would have been even more late. So when the light turned green, I sped up and drove fast so I didn't have to turn right. I apparently cut off a taxi driver when I did that, because he got really irate, started trying to run my beautiful Lexus off the road with his rusted out bucket of bolts, rolled down his window and was swearing at me all the way down the street. At the next light, as he was calling me every swear word that he could think of, I rolled down my window and whipped my slurpee at his windshield. By luck I guess, the slurpee hit his windshield in such a way that almost the entire windshield was covered, blocking his view so much that he had to turn his windshield wipers on so he could see. I didn't say a word and just looked at him. After that, his attitude completely changed, he rolled up his window and when the light turned green, he turned off the street the first chance he got. I made it to my haircut appointment slightly late, minus my slurpee which I like to drink while I am getting my hair cut.

That night, one of my female black belts asked me if I had gotten into an altercation with a taxi driver. She said that she was riding in the car directly behind the taxi and saw the whole thing. She said that was an awesome throw of the slurpee. I jokingly told her that was an improvisation off of hapkido rock throwing technique, and after that everyone wanted to learn how to throw rocks.

Latest Discussions