Avoid or invite confrontation?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the cabbie is crazy to get mad at someone who pulled out in front of him,its Honolulu, you can/have to pull out in front of anyone, as long as you shoot them a shaka or at least wave while you mouth THANK YOU.

If it was me, I would have slowed down and let him in. I let everyone in in traffic, at least during non rush hour like this was. In rush hour, I let in one, and so does everyone else, so the merging is orderly and smooth.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do you feel about fighting with a horse? Here is a story from General Choi's autobiography:

As punishment for my stubbornness, they assigned me to the most untrained and wild horse, called Hujida. Nevertheless, after I secretly trained the horse with my fists and kicks inside the base stable, it became docile within several days as it is known that horses are intelligent animals....

As I usually did, I approached Hujida with a carrot in hand. Without any resistance, it took the carrot and I took its bridle. One the way to the stable, Hujida suddenly kicked me in my ribs and I was directly brought to the base hospital on a stretcher. I never expected this to happen, but it happened....

Horses are intelligent animals, to the extent that Hujida could its revenge for my hitting and kicking. All the while it was fooling me, making me relaxed by pretending it was obedient to me.

Having been attacked by a mean horse as a child,myself, I can see a round kick to a head that is biting at you, but, but it sounds more like this guy was into the violence of it all.
Sean

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you said all the books you owned written by a Gracie called the art BJJ, not GJJ. In GM Helio's book, the title is GJJ, and he calls it GJJ.

Doesn't make it GJJ though, it's still BJJ. Of course he'd want it named after himself lol. He had a lot to do with it sure enough but it's always been called BJJ.

ToD, I'm up to my knees in snow here you think an iced drink sounds good to me :)

Hot chocolate or Ovaltine!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think we all understand that many MAists have fought outside the ring. I used to all the time. Do I now? Heck no. There is an ever increasing risk of being stabbed or shot by somebody you beat down or their friends. Not to mention the legal issues that come up as well. If someone wants to risk their life by fighting outside the ring, then it is up to them to deal with the consequences of their actions.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doesn't make it GJJ though, it's still BJJ. Of course he'd want it named after himself lol. He had a lot to do with it sure enough but it's always been called BJJ.

I thought BJJ exists precisely because Maeda taught Carlos Gracie his form of jujutsu. The Gracies then proceed to adapt and modify and add to what Maeda taught over the years. And then inevitably, other Brazilians learned from the Gracies (some other sources too) and begin their own evolution.

I don't think it's too far off the mark to call it Grace Jiu Jitsu. Arguably with Carlos Gracie, maybe BJJ never even exists.

Not a big deal, but I've also seen references here and there to 'Gracie Jiu Jitsu'. Doesn't the Gracie family now own a trademark for the phrase?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought BJJ exists precisely because Maeda taught Carlos Gracie his form of jujutsu. The Gracies then proceed to adapt and modify and add to what Maeda taught over the years. And then inevitably, other Brazilians learned from the Gracies (some other sources too) and begin their own evolution.

I don't think it's too far off the mark to call it Grace Jiu Jitsu. Arguably with Carlos Gracie, maybe BJJ never even exists.

Not a big deal, but I've also seen references here and there to 'Gracie Jiu Jitsu'. Doesn't the Gracie family now own a trademark for the phrase?

They don't own it here at least, I doubt to be honest they could trademark it as it's also been deveolped and expanded by other practicioners. Calling it BJJ means we are all on the same page, GJJ means little perhaps outside the Americas where the Gracies have done their marketing. We have a great many Brazilians teaching BJJ around the rest of the world none of whom are Gracies.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

ToD, I'm up to my knees in snow here you think an iced drink sounds good to me :)

Hot chocolate or Ovaltine!

Ovaltine, yes, Ovaltine for sure.
icon7.gif
I would definitely invite this confrontation.......

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have a great many Brazilians teaching BJJ around the rest of the world none of whom are Gracies.

Yes, and they somehow owe it all to the Gracies ultimately, no? It's a bit like all the Shotokan teachers being connected to Funakoshi somehow. Funakoshi-ryu wouldn't be too inappropriate a name for Shotokan karate. In fact, 'Shotokan' is a reference to his pen name.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, and they somehow owe it all to the Gracies ultimately, no? It's a bit like all the Shotokan teachers being connected to Funakoshi somehow. Funakoshi-ryu wouldn't be too inappropriate a name for Shotokan karate. In fact, 'Shotokan' is a reference to his pen name.

True enough and I knew about the Shotokan pen name but the point is that in the rest of the world it is marketed as BJJ so when we talk about it we know exactly what we are talking about, GJJ doesn't ring any bells which is why I had to ask, I wasn't being funny I really didn't know what GJJ was because it's never called that over here. The Gracies marketing concentrated on the Americas as I said and probably there are good many outside America who don't know of the connection between the Gracies and this style but practice BJJ quite happily under instructors who have never even meet a Gracie which is a good Scottish name by the way.

dowan50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Okay, but does that make them smart? Just because they fought more outside of the ring than inside is not an endorsement of unnecessary fighting or inviting fights unnecessarily. In essence, your answer to everything is 'well such and such did it'.

No offense, but so what? Lots of very accomplished people also make very life choices. The fact that they are accomplished does not negate the stupidity of poor decision making.

Daniel

It would seem this whole forum is to worship boyish machoism yes there have been times when many of the pioneers have had to use violence but most did not brag or use it as a focus to encourage others there is a line between military use which must be what it is and a certain mind set related to domestic life and family. Even in a recent national teaching seminar teaching tkd history with a gm pioneer from the west coast his most proud accomplishment was the non violent way he made enemies into students and freinds. Most real accomplished men who have had to face real life and death situations have had enough and learned the real lesson of ma and teach that to thier students to weigh the end result costs of your actions before you act.

Do what is necessary withthe least amount of effort or cost when ever possible. there is no need to prove anything over words however when a serious situation presents itself they do not hesitate to act quickly and decisivley and in many cases the confidence of thier knowledge and experience is enough to back down or defuse a situation.

as a 40 student of one of Mas Oyama's prominent students who considered him his first cousin he loved to share many personal stories of his strength but always pointed out that his attitude caused him to not have a very good personal life.

Erney Reyes's GM taught that no man is your enemy even if you have to hurt him you are hurting a brother and should not take that lightly.

I have seen many confrontational accomplished in thier minds people push the envelope and thier lives seem to be empty with out joy and many have ended badly. To suggest that no one knows how to fight or all is one on one is dangerous to suggest to younger impressionable people that attitude will not go over in many neighbor hoods or cultures where everyone has a gun or knife or will not hesitate to gang up just for fun.

Some times a person is having a bad day your having compasionn and understanding at that moment could effect thier life weeks or months later. these are the lessons that traditional ma teach not cage fighting or little boy bravado of my dad can kick your dads butt. as a senior the little boy in us is what keeps us young but wisdom has taught us to keep him in check.

The laws in many cases make it difficult even costly no matter what your justification are you going to risk that because you feel your worth is somehow better than that person.

Real ma experienced people do not wast thier time with verbal or physical confrontational as a way to approach every situations it is considered imature and unwise.

Learn how to be a good person husband father that is most important

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

Actually, it would be inappropriate imo, because the system is not taught and passed down as a ryuha. And that kind of defeats the entire philosophy behind he ryuha concept.
If you wanted to name it after him, Funakoshi karate would be a better choice of words. Or if you want to go with the ryuha concept, that could work too but then there would have to be a way to verify lineage AND to certify that an independent instructor got a full and complete transmission of the art before he branched off independently. And if he started teaching, he should teach it the way it was taught, and not add anything either.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would seem this whole forum is to worship boyish machoism yes there have been times when many of the pioneers have had to use violence but most did not brag or use it as a focus to encourage others there is a line between military use which must be what it is and a certain mind set related to domestic life and family. Even in a recent national teaching seminar teaching tkd history with a gm pioneer from the west coast his most proud accomplishment was the non violent way he made enemies into students and freinds. Most real accomplished men who have had to face real life and death situations have had enough and learned the real lesson of ma and teach that to thier students to weigh the end result costs of your actions before you act.

Do what is necessary withthe least amount of effort or cost when ever possible. there is no need to prove anything over words however when a serious situation presents itself they do not hesitate to act quickly and decisivley and in many cases the confidence of thier knowledge and experience is enough to back down or defuse a situation.

as a 40 student of one of Mas Oyama's prominent students who considered him his first cousin he loved to share many personal stories of his strength but always pointed out that his attitude caused him to not have a very good personal life.

Erney Reyes's GM taught that no man is your enemy even if you have to hurt him you are hurting a brother and should not take that lightly.

I have seen many confrontational accomplished in thier minds people push the envelope and thier lives seem to be empty with out joy and many have ended badly. To suggest that no one knows how to fight or all is one on one is dangerous to suggest to younger impressionable people that attitude will not go over in many neighbor hoods or cultures where everyone has a gun or knife or will not hesitate to gang up just for fun.

Some times a person is having a bad day your having compasionn and understanding at that moment could effect thier life weeks or months later. these are the lessons that traditional ma teach not cage fighting or little boy bravado of my dad can kick your dads butt. as a senior the little boy in us is what keeps us young but wisdom has taught us to keep him in check.

The laws in many cases make it difficult even costly no matter what your justification are you going to risk that because you feel your worth is somehow better than that person.

Real ma experienced people do not wast thier time with verbal or physical confrontational as a way to approach every situations it is considered imature and unwise.

Learn how to be a good person husband father that is most important

You assume then that this forum is only for men?

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, it would be inappropriate imo, because the system is not taught and passed down as a ryuha. And that kind of defeats the entire philosophy behind he ryuha concept.
If you wanted to name it after him, Funakoshi karate would be a better choice of words. Or if you want to go with the ryuha concept, that could work too but then there would have to be a way to verify lineage AND to certify that an independent instructor got a full and complete transmission of the art before he branched off independently. And if he started teaching, he should teach it the way it was taught, and not add anything either.

Who said anything about ryu-ha? Or Japanese martial customs or culture or philosophy for that matter? I supposed I opened things up by mentioning 'Funakoshi-ryu', but I was really speaking more towards the man as being the person behind Shotokan karate. Incidentally, there is a 'Funakoshi-ryu' organization right in your part of the world, in Belgium. You can also find references to karate systems like 'Itosu-ryu' originating in Japan. You seem to be following the definition of ryu as a concept based in the menkyo kaiden system of budo arts. I believe karate systems call themselves ryu or ryu-ha, but they certainly don't adhere to a menkyo kaiden licensing scheme as a rule.

Regardless, it's a matter of whom is responsible primarily for BJJ existing in the first place. That would be the Gracies. Thus GJJ as an alternate name would not be out of place, and in fact if you keep up with BJJ, you should know that GJJ can and has been used as such in the past to refer to BJJ in the main. These days, more people seem to make the distinction between GJJ and BJJ which is fine.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
From personal experience I know that there is a movement to differentiate between GJJ and BJJ. Many are trying to set a distinction that BJJ is the sport oriented version of what started in the 1920's and that GJJ is the self defense version of the same style. I think it is silly, as they started at the same place and with the same people being the originators of the style.

It feels like they are trying to seperate it like, "sport" karate and "knockdown" karate. Same roots, different methodology.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From personal experience I know that there is a movement to differentiate between GJJ and BJJ. Many are trying to set a distinction that BJJ is the sport oriented version of what started in the 1920's and that GJJ is the self defense version of the same style. I think it is silly, as they started at the same place and with the same people being the originators of the style.

It feels like they are trying to seperate it like, "sport" karate and "knockdown" karate. Same roots, different methodology.

That may well explain why we have only heard really of BJJ. the 'sports' version if that is what it is, is definitely the more well known and popular version. Most people I know though do BJJ as both sport and self defence. sounds like a bit of a chicken and egg situation in that we can go round in circles with this. :)

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't or didn't need ESP since he wasn't hurt permanently. I've heard of people getting hit too hard, one of my friends actually kicked someone in the chest and killed him. As for him packing a gun, he wasn't. As for a couple of friends joining in, no one did. But hey, if you don't like it, that's cool. No problem. Look down upon me all you want. :)

Dude, I don`t look down on you. I`ve done the same stuff. But I`m honest with myself about it. You said it wasn`t about your ego because that would make you sound like you`re in the wrong. So instead, you said it was about him bothering you....by saying something you didn`t like, not showing you any respect. THAT makes it all about ego.
You don`t see that?

You did the same thing in your story about the taxi driver. You start by saying you cut the guy off by not turning when you were in the turn only lane. (But it wasn`t your fault of course) He over reacted, I`ll give you that. But then you tossed your drink at his windshield like a 4 year old. Was this at the light, or while he was driving? People get pissed off and get into fights. It happens. You do it. I do it. All I`m saying is you need to be able to admit to yourself afterwards when you`re partly to blame.

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To avoid confrontations you have to simply stay away from trouble or anything that look like trouble. Think before you speak. Do not rush into every situation or problem you confront.

In the situation you've given, I would just ignore him. Go in one ear and out the other.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To avoid confrontations you have to simply stay away from trouble or anything that look like trouble. Think before you speak. Do not rush into every situation or problem you confront.

In the situation you've given, I would just ignore him. Go in one ear and out the other.
What if you are on an Island and are likely to run into this bully over and over, are you going to not go where this person is, or leave where you are if he shows up,will you have to stay at your office run to your car and stay home? There is only so much you should have to put up with before you need make a stand.
It is like a slow leak in a tire,if you don't fix it when you are near a station it will strand you at some inconvenient spot.
Better to meet him outside now than have him sucker punch you later.
I think this is one of those situations when "you had to be" there before deciding who is right or wrong.

Latest Discussions