Am I using a dolyo chagi chamber for a yeop chagi here? (VIDEO)=

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fair enough but his lead leg side kicks are worse than his rear legs: starting at 2:40. And you said those are easier..

I give it a 6.5 overall. His lead leg legs I don't give more than 6.

Not at all. He was demonstrating the kicks to teach the motions and mechanics throughout the kick. Slow speed kicks are actually Harder to do because you lose the advantage of momentum and dynamic balance. Also, there is no resistance so quite a lot changes. It takes more core and leg strength to do very slow kicks.
You must also take into account the counter-affects of impact. The ball drill for example. Each consecutive kick was slightly different for the previous because he had to dynamically adjust for position. A great sparring drill since it simulates a moving target for power kicks.
I agree with what andyjefferies said about the arm. That is a formal ITF thing that is done per style. Not wrong, not right so no judgement there. I imagine if you saw that gentleman sparring you would Not see that arm motion.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not at all. He was demonstrating the kicks to teach the motions and mechanics throughout the kick. Slow speed kicks are actually Harder to do because you lose the advantage of momentum and dynamic balance. Also, there is no resistance so quite a lot changes. It takes more core and leg strength to do very slow kicks.
You must also take into account the counter-affects of impact. The ball drill for example. Each consecutive kick was slightly different for the previous because he had to dynamically adjust for position. A great sparring drill since it simulates a moving target for power kicks.
I agree with what andyjefferies said about the arm. That is a formal ITF thing that is done per style. Not wrong, not right so no judgement there. I imagine if you saw that gentleman sparring you would Not see that arm motion.

The arm out thing is not obligatory in ITF. There are patterns where the side kick is thrusted without it.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don’t follow that distinction. Can you rephrase it for me?

If you simply turn your shoulder and lean into a right hand punch, you're pushing the punch. If you however twist your shoulder at the same time as you lean, you're snapping the punch. The difference between the turn and twist of the shoulder is acceleration. So it's like a twitch in the shoulder turn

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you simply turn your shoulder and lean into a right hand punch, you're pushing the punch. If you however twist your shoulder at the same time as you lean, you're snapping the punch. The difference between the turn and twist of the shoulder is acceleration. So it's like a twitch in the shoulder turn
That might be the most cogent thing you have posted on this forum.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That made more sense to my brain.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I find lead-leg side kicks harder to do. Power is harder for me to generate.

Assuming your hips are open, delay the physical exertion of your leg action. In other words, don't explode as soon the foot moves because your momentum will have been spent before you've crashed though the shield. Increase speed in your leg about half a second before the foot makes contact. This way you are breaking through the shield and accelerating at the same time, and acceleration =power.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hah! He doesn't use sine wave and he's still affiliated with the ITF.

How on earth was he allowed to get graded to 5th Dan by the organization?

He is using SW. Not as pronounced as some and in fact there was a comparison of the CD / DVDs produced under General Choi's supervision. and some later videos where it was shown the later videos had performers doing a more exaggerated version.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bending ready stance is a static push off. Doing these in isolation will not make you anymore proficient at in motion lead leg side kicks since they are more dynamic
I have no idea what concept you are trying to convey by this. In any event you are still incorrect since there are lead leg Side Piercing, Thrusting and Pushing kicks in patterns from stances other than Bending ready stance A. Sam Il #s 18 & 23, Yoo Sin # 56, performed a s the second part of a consecutive Kick In Choi Yong, Moon Moo #40, 53 as part of a consecutive kick, So San #10, Tong Il #54.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are plenty of things that work in MMA against non kickers that do not work against Taekwondo fighters.
Not sure I get your point. Are you saying stuff works in MMA that won't work in TKD because MMA Fighters are not as good at defending against kicks?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assuming your hips are open, delay the physical exertion of your leg action. In other words, don't explode as soon the foot moves because your momentum will have been spent before you've crashed though the shield. Increase speed in your leg about half a second before the foot makes contact. This way you are breaking through the shield and accelerating at the same time, and acceleration =power.
That sounds like you're talking about a side kick with the supporting leg moving. I've never learned anything like that.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not sure I get your point. Are you saying stuff works in MMA that won't work in TKD because MMA Fighters are not as good at defending against kicks?

Yes. They don't read kicks anywhere near as well.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like you're talking about a side kick with the supporting leg moving. I've never learned anything like that.

It's a common enough thing in TKD. It might be a step or a skip to close the distance. Unless it's a jumping kick, the supporting leg will be planted by the time the kick contacts.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a common enough thing in TKD. It might be a step or a skip to close the distance. Unless it's a jumping kick, the supporting leg will be planted by the time the kick contacts.

In NGA (the source of almost all my kicking knowledge), we only have one side kick - rear leg. I’ve been trying to develop the lead leg kick by using what I know from my other kicks, but so far it’s useful only if it never makes contact (they’ll find out it’s no threat, at all).

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
The arm out thing is not obligatory in ITF. There are patterns where the side kick is thrusted without it.
Yes and no. The default is "Side Piercing kick is done with high punch unless instructed otherwise. " So, for patterns, if nothing else is designated i.e. "Pulling Hands in Opposite direction" Forming Guarding Block" etc. then Side Piercing kicks (Non Jumping) are accompanied by a high punch.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[
Yes and no. The default is "Side Piercing kick is done with high punch unless instructed otherwise. " So, for patterns, if nothing else is designated i.e. "Pulling Hands in Opposite direction" Forming Guarding Block" etc. then Side Piercing kicks (Non Jumping) are accompanied by a high punch.

There was somebody somewhere making the rationale that the reason you have the arm out is because the student is not yet proficient, wheras later on, the student can throw sidekicks and parry counters.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We will agree to disagree vis a vis how well professional fighters read kicks vs TKD fighters.

I have seen Chael Sonnen stand completely stationary when Machida moved his hips to hrow a mawashi geri, and did so. There was no disguise yet Chael just stood there. He did not see it coming at all.

Latest Discussions