Aikido hate

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And yet, on here, you seem to often cultivate conflict.
Do I? You are more than welcome to ignore my posts if they bother you. My post above deals more with a common theme found in Japanese warriors who often retired to a lay practice life.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah the argument is Aikido would be better if at least a portion of it was to be used in a sporting contest. As sporting contests tend to develop a better sense of your martial arts. Because of all the usual arguments. Like it gets used more often at a higher level, a faster pace, higher contact and more to lose.

Which is why Sport martial arts do fair well in other contexts like self defence.
No, the arguement was that Aikido wouldn't work "in reality" against a trained fighter, and therefore its ********. But the "reality" is that no ones biggest self defence threat is being attacked in bars by highly skilled/trained profesional fighters.

Unless there is somewhere in the world where the local crime statistics have shown that, since the rise in the popularity of MMA , there has been a dramatic rise in the number of triangle chokes and ankle locks being used to beat up, mug , or sexually assault people?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do I? You are more than welcome to ignore my posts if they bother you. My post above deals more with a common theme found in Japanese warriors who often retired to a lay practice life.
Go back and re-read the post you quoted. It was a reply to Drop Bear, not to you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, the arguement was that Aikido wouldn't work "in reality" against a trained fighter, and therefore its ********. But the "reality" is that no ones biggest self defence threat is being attacked in bars by highly skilled/trained profesional fighters.

Unless there is somewhere in the world where the local crime statistics have shown that, since the rise in the popularity of MMA , there has been a dramatic rise in the number of triangle chokes and ankle locks being used to beat up, mug , or sexually assault people?

Relying on the other guy to be terrible to justify a training method is pretty fragile.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Point missed, by miles.

Relying on the other guy to have no idea how to ground fight is fragile?

And so 20 years ago.

By the way do crime statistics show assults by martial arts technique at all? we wouldn't know if there was a rise or not. It is not information anybody has. Or has ever had.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
since the rise in the popularity of MMA , there has been a dramatic rise in the number of triangle chokes and ankle locks being used to beat up, mug , or sexually assault people

Interesting.

Link to those stats please.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Interesting.

Link to those stats please.
Agreed. I've spent some quality time looking at crime stats, both federal and more local. I've never been able to find any stats that even approach this level of specificity.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Relying on the other guy to have no idea how to ground fight is fragile?

And so 20 years ago.

By the way do crime statistics show assults by martial arts technique at all? we wouldn't know if there was a rise or not. It is not information anybody has. Or has ever had.
I'd welcome this information if available.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You hope. From a very small sample of fights.
Not hope. I see them in videos with (apparently) untrained people. I see them from new students who don't have previous training. I see them in schools of other styles among the newest students. They are predictably common. They don't happen every time, by any stretch, but they are common among that population.

Bear in mind, I lump experienced people into the "trained" group, even if they don't have formal training. If they fight a lot, they'll either get rid of these tendencies, or they will lose a lot. Thus, street fighters with no training will be less likely to make these mistakes than someone who is trained.

And alcohol and anger make them more common. Fear of being hit brings out another set of predictable responses, and this will happen even among trained people if they haven't gotten used to getting hit.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not hope. I see them in videos with (apparently) untrained people. I see them from new students who don't have previous training. I see them in schools of other styles among the newest students. They are predictably common. They don't happen every time, by any stretch, but they are common among that population.

Bear in mind, I lump experienced people into the "trained" group, even if they don't have formal training. If they fight a lot, they'll either get rid of these tendencies, or they will lose a lot. Thus, street fighters with no training will be less likely to make these mistakes than someone who is trained.

And alcohol and anger make them more common. Fear of being hit brings out another set of predictable responses, and this will happen even among trained people if they haven't gotten used to getting hit.

Your extensive reserch on how a person street fights is about as good as mine on how Aikido works.

Latest Discussions