School experiences

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now the thread about enjoying fighting was interesting and some people commented on school days and got me thinking about mine (yeah long time ago I know I already got depressed realising that lol)

Anyway when I was in primary school (elementary school to Americans) I wouldn't say I was ever bullied. I was never the popular kid far from it. I was probably quite low down on the popularity scale but I never cared and really I was never messed with apart from a few stupid things like wedgies and getting pants pulled down things like that but never beaten up or anything. This was before I started martial arts.

In secondary (high school) was when I properly started and everyone in my year knew i did it. Mainly because one of my friends did it and he was a loudmouth who told everyone. Anyway again I wasn't mr popular but never got truly bothered apart from again stupid stuff. The only real issue I had was one guy who was an idiot. Not a bully but still considered himself a tough guy. He spent the whole of lunchtime for 2 days trying to get me to fight him egging me on etc. he did everything apart from actually throw a punch but I simply refused and didn't rise to any of his stupid insults and no fight happened. I got people thinking I was a coward for knowing martial arts but refusing but I didn't care I avoided the fight and next day the guy came up to me and apologised so it was right for me to do it.

Thing is while I was never hugely popular I don't think anyone ever hated me either and never truly had problems and while I may have gotten a few whispers and was considered a nerd no one ever actually tried to fight me. I don't know if it was because they knew I did martial arts or any other reason but they just didn't.

Anyway this Is more me rambling but hey there it is

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now the thread about enjoying fighting was interesting and some people commented on school days and got me thinking about mine (yeah long time ago I know I already got depressed realising that lol)

Anyway when I was in primary school (elementary school to Americans) I wouldn't say I was ever bullied. I was never the popular kid far from it. I was probably quite low down on the popularity scale but I never cared and really I was never messed with apart from a few stupid things like wedgies and getting pants pulled down things like that but never beaten up or anything. This was before I started martial arts.

In secondary (high school) was when I properly started and everyone in my year knew i did it. Mainly because one of my friends did it and he was a loudmouth who told everyone. Anyway again I wasn't mr popular but never got truly bothered apart from again stupid stuff. The only real issue I had was one guy who was an idiot. Not a bully but still considered himself a tough guy. He spent the whole of lunchtime for 2 days trying to get me to fight him egging me on etc. he did everything apart from actually throw a punch but I simply refused and didn't rise to any of his stupid insults and no fight happened. I got people thinking I was a coward for knowing martial arts but refusing but I didn't care I avoided the fight and next day the guy came up to me and apologised so it was right for me to do it.

Thing is while I was never hugely popular I don't think anyone ever hated me either and never truly had problems and while I may have gotten a few whispers and was considered a nerd no one ever actually tried to fight me. I don't know if it was because they knew I did martial arts or any other reason but they just didn't.

Anyway this Is more me rambling but hey there it is
This is called, Make The Bullies Choose Some One Else. It is just a vibe, and if articulated, it ruins everything. I may have messed it up, for you, already. o_O

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elementary school was not fun. Well... the classes themselves were OK fun. Leaving school was not fun, to be precise.

High school was fun, in the not quite right way I was trying to explain in Jenna's thread.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got bullied quite a bit in elementary school. Mostly intimidation. I was too meek for them to feel it was worth actually beating up on me. In middle school, bullies progressed to physical attacks. By that time I'd started in martial arts (I was the quiet guy, so nobody knew), and I was a fight ender. Nothing dramatic, usually (though there was one guy who got what I think was a seoi nage from me when he grabbed me from behind). By 9th grade, no more bullying - I think I got a bit of a reputation. I was still meek enough that the bullies talked tough and tried to pick on me, but they wouldn't get physical around me anymore.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I trained martial arts since I was pretty young, but never used it despite being bullied until one time in grade 10. I went ballistic and put 3 people in the hospital (broken ribs and noses and stuff). From then on no one bullied me. It was all kind of built up inside of me I guess. Needless to say I'm much more happy now. :)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Always a jock growing up. Was kinda a jack of all trades but master of none in sports (baseball, basketball, football, soccer, boxing). Pretty popular and only got into 1 fight in school and it wasn't much consisted of 1 punch and fight was over (not a knockout....just got my point across to leave me alone)

Got in 3 fights in college and have been in a few scuffles on the job.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was an all around useless kid. Bad at sports, bad at grades, eventually I got really into martial arts and started to lose a lot of weight and started to get into more trouble.

I hated school with a passion and still do, but at least with college I have more say in the matter.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think I was bullied. To me being bullied is something that 1 or 2 people do on a constant basis. As a kid I was harassed often. It was someone new every 2 months. I was a good kid and didn't cause trouble. I never doubted who I was a person and I think that translated into an Alpha male challenge from some of the kids that tried to make picking on me as a habit.

I still get a similar reaction from time to time. .. Such is life. I am who I am. Martial arts has helped with conflicts in past as a child but now I think I either reek of "Warning" meaning people see danger when they look at me, or I don't appear to be a threat. When my wife and I first started dating my friends used to ask her if she was afraid of me. I guess I picked up a "wife abuser" look somewhere or a "dangerous black man" look in the past. Who knows.