Aikido hate

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I made basic positional mistakes made due exactly to the methodology Gerry trains.
Probably not, since you don't seem to understand what I train. I've trained with both bouncers and LEO who found what we do works really well for them. I doubt that's any different where you are, so the difference is probably your understanding of what we do.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So untill you can change my perceptions through evidence. Why shouldn't I filter my expectations of training through this?

No reason. Those guys aren't using their strikes effectively, and are too focused on making techniques work (a problem I've seen quite a bit). I can see easy ways to stop their entry, easy ways to enter on them, and better selections of technique from their positions. They don't appear to be used to working the close techniques - some of what they were trying in close are not good from that range, and it feels like they chose the technique they wanted before they got to the position.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When we revisit h
No reason. Those guys aren't using their strikes effectively, and are too focused on making techniques work (a problem I've seen quite a bit). I can see easy ways to stop their entry, easy ways to enter on them, and better selections of technique from their positions. They don't appear to be used to working the close techniques - some of what they were trying in close are not good from that range, and it feels like they chose the technique they wanted before they got to the position.

my advice on that sparring.

By the way. From watching that. And Aikido flow. And a few others I have notice a trend to almost no takedown defence. Which seems strange from a grappling art.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
At the time the Founder of aikido learnt daito ryu aikijujutsu (the old art he based aikido on), almost everyone knew sumo. This has been used as a possible explanation of why there are no hip throws in aikido (well there's one but it doesn't come from daito ryu and has been developed by later generations of aikidoka) and I think that it can, at least in part, explain the lack of takedowns and takedown defences in the art.

Many students of the Founder were also good judoka thus he might not have deemed necessary to teach them such techniques, if he had ever been interested in doing so.

We have accounts that Sokaku Takeda, Morihei Ueshiba or students like Koichi Tohei were "unthrowable" by advanced judoka. The real question here is "how come?" What did those guys have that is or isn't taught in modern aikido?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
At the time the Founder of aikido learnt daito ryu aikijujutsu (the old art he based aikido on), almost everyone knew sumo. This has been used as a possible explanation of why there are no hip throws in aikido (well there's one but it doesn't come from daito ryu and has been developed by later generations of aikidoka) and I think that it can, at least in part, explain the lack of takedowns and takedown defences in the art.

Many students of the Founder were also good judoka thus he might not have deemed necessary to teach them such techniques, if he had ever been interested in doing so.

We have accounts that Sokaku Takeda, Morihei Ueshiba or students like Koichi Tohei were "unthrowable" by advanced judoka. The real question here is "how come?"

Because he was a gun at takedown defence?

You see derek heckle just standing there chilling out. Because of his better wrestling he could in theory pull off all sorts of Aikido ish stuff. Because no one can take him dowm.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand it. I have trained it. Then I got out and used it. Especially in bouncing because the aim isn't to stand and trade. It is to apply standing arm locks.

Which is the definition of Neat-o.

And I got punched in the head a lot. When I made basic positional mistakes made due exactly to the methodology Gerry trains
Your goal in bouncing was quite a bit different than mine, Drop. I never, not one time, attempted a "standing arm lock" on a guy who was being removed. Closest thing to that was an osotogari reap-like takedown, flip then hammer lock -- while the guy was face-down - and wait on the cops to come and hand-cuff him. That was no fun, as I was completely expecting some girl to come out of the crowd with something and jack me from behind.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your goal in bouncing was quite a bit different than mine, Drop. I never, not one time, attempted a "standing arm lock" on a guy who was being removed. Closest thing to that was an osotogari reap-like takedown, flip then hammer lock -- while the guy was face-down - and wait on the cops to come and hand-cuff him. That was no fun, as I was completely expecting some girl to come out of the crowd with something and jack me from behind.

Dont you know goose neck holds can defeat any attacker? We learned that in our mandatory human weapon training.

I have done marathons with guys in arm locks.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we revisit h

my advice on that sparring.

By the way. From watching that. And Aikido flow. And a few others I have notice a trend to almost no takedown defence. Which seems strange from a grappling art.
I find it strange, too, yet it's not as unusual as it should be. I think that comes from a lack of real randori - where "real" means not just trying as hard as you can to throw the other guy, but trying as hard as you can to stop him from throwing you. Do a bit of that, and takedown defense improves (as do takedowns).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We have accounts that Sokaku Takeda, Morihei Ueshiba or students like Koichi Tohei were "unthrowable" by advanced judoka. The real question here is "how come?" What did those guys have that is or isn't taught in modern aikido?
This is something Stan Pranin talked about. Most of the early students of Ueshiba were experienced in other arts, including having a solid base in striking skills and some basic grappling (Sumo/Judo), so much of that wasn't taught.

Latest Discussions