Aikido hate

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is one of the confirmed media cases of an aikidoka using aikido in an altercation.

He was also a newer aikidoka so that's kind of cool but I will say he's lucky it was against a gun and not a blade.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Yeah that one is a legit akido guy. And a solid move I use all the time as well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never said you hated it, and I am aware you are just giving your opinion on why MMA 'clown' it.

However, while you keep lumping all MMA people in the same category you are doing to them what you say they are doing to Aikido... basically trashing MMA.

There are many different people who do MMA, many different views just as there are in TMA so please don't keep saying 'MMA' as if everyone thinks the same. There are many in TMAs who also think their style is the perfect one and all others are rubbish.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are many different people who do MMA, many different views just as there are in TMA so please don't keep saying 'MMA' as if everyone thinks the same.
I don't think anyone is daft enough to assume that MMA (or indeed any topic) means 'every single person within MMA' (or said topic).

I'm not gooing to start the laborious process of posting a caveat to that effect with every statement, it's implied when one makes a generalisation.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is daft enough to assume that MMA (or indeed any topic) means 'every single person within MMA' (or said topic).

I'm not gooing to start the laborious process of posimng a caveat to that effect with every statement, it's generally implied when one makes a generalisation.

Ah my post wasn't aimed at you but was a caveat to yours to the poster you answered.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's too consistent. He spells "aiki" as "aki" and "aikido" as "akido". It seems purposeful, though I can't figure the purpose.

Not sure about the original source, but myself being dislexic (yeah can't spell that) some words form that look right. No amount of spell checking helps, if it looks right, to me it is right.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you keep looking around in a fight for other guys. you get bashed by the guy in front of you. There are better ways to protect yourself from multiples than fighting distracted. And not this line three people up while you just knock them out rubbish either. There are different elements to fighting multiples than what a lot of people believe.

in a fight it is four or five punches a second. you cannot individually address each punch. Which is why people cover. If it is a weapon tough you sorta kind of do have to address each attack individually. And why your strategy needs to change.

You can half and half by restricting opportunities to attack. But that is again position and pressure.

Fighting distracted means you have pretty much lost the ground already. I agree, loose ground is fine, but the exit strategy has to be there. Agree that all that knockout rubbish is simply BS. A knockout simply put is taking them out of the fight, doesn't matter how. A simple push, strike or sweep suffices, and doesn't have to be pretty. One opponent on the floor allows time to set up and engage another. Push or sweep another, still gains.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah my post wasn't aimed at you but was a caveat to yours to the poster you answered.

My fault, the quote thingy wouldn't include the original post.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
However, while you keep lumping all MMA people in the same category you are doing to them what you say they are doing to Aikido... basically trashing MMA.

There are many different people who do MMA, many different views just as there are in TMA so please don't keep saying 'MMA' as if everyone thinks the same. There are many in TMAs who also think their style is the perfect one and all others are rubbish.
I figured people would figure I meant a portion of MMA especially since I was using the term MMA to answer the original posters question. That's my bad but the term MMA could easily be switched to MA and still suit the original topic very well.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figured people would figure I meant a portion of MMA especially since I was using the term MMA to answer the original posters question. That's my bad but the term MMA could easily be switched to MA and still suit the original topic very well.

Well no, because all we have is the words, we have no facial expressions, tone of voice etc for us to gain extra context so when you write MMA that's all there is to understand... all of MMA. Plenty of people have written that and meant all of MMA I'm afraid. You know what you are thinking but all we know is the words you use.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well no, because all we have is the words, we have no facial expressions, tone of voice etc for us to gain extra context so when you write MMA that's all there is to understand... all of MMA. Plenty of people have written that and meant all of MMA I'm afraid. You know what you are thinking but all we know is the words you use.
Ok so if I said MA instead of MMA would that include the aikidoka?

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
interesting Akido vs. Reality debate:

It's not an aikido vs reality debate, it's an aikido vs a trained fighter debate.

But anyway, Aikido is not designed to score points/be be used in a sporting contest . Therefore if you put it into a sporting arena, where it isn't designed to work, then it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone that it doesn't work in that environment.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's not an aikido vs reality debate, it's an aikido vs a trained fighter debate.

But anyway, Aikido is not designed to score points/be be used in a sporting contest . Therefore if you put it into a sporting arena, where it isn't designed to work, then it shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone that it doesn't work in that environment.

Yeah the argument is Aikido would be better if at least a portion of it was to be used in a sporting contest. As sporting contests tend to develop a better sense of your martial arts. Because of all the usual arguments. Like it gets used more often at a higher level, a faster pace, higher contact and more to lose.

Which is why Sport martial arts do fair well in other contexts like self defence.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah the argument is Aikido would be better if at least a portion of it was to be used in a sporting contest. As sporting contests tend to develop a better sense of your martial arts. Because of all the usual arguments. Like it gets used more often at a higher level, a faster pace, higher contact and more to lose.

Which is why Sport martial arts do fair well in other contexts like self defence.
Since you are ignorant about what Aikido is and where aikido comes from let me explain to you, aikido and the art in which it came from is not concerned with sport orient things. To further give you an understanding Daito Ryu finishes its opponent with a symbolic cutting off of the head the art was used more or less to seriously injure or kill an opponent. The founder of aikido was not interested in a sport like judo he was interested in cultivation like I said before most people who have been in life or death fights when they reach an older age they want peace of mind they want to find a deeper meaning in life. Perhaps in 30 years your path will change and your focus will as well.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Since you are ignorant about what Aikido is and where aikido comes from let me explain to you, aikido and the art in which it came from is not concerned with sport orient things. To further give you an understanding Daito Ryu finishes its opponent with a symbolic cutting off of the head the art was used more or less to seriously injure or kill an opponent. The founder of aikido was not interested in a sport like judo he was interested in cultivation like I said before most people who have been in life or death fights when they reach an older age they want peace of mind they want to find a deeper meaning in life. Perhaps in 30 years your path will change and your focus will as well.

Aparently I have actually been using Aikido all this time. The wrist locks the throws Aikido side kicks Aikido slaps. As everybody else who is using Aikido effectively in the real world.

I should probably be teaching it by now.

And I probably have as much peace and deaper meaning as anybody else as well.

Latest Discussions