Aikido hate

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Actually, we train similarly in NGA. The concept doesn't have to change things dramatically, but the changes are important. Here's are two parts of the difference between training with multiple attackers in mind, and with weapons in mind, versus training for sparring/competition:
  • With training for sparring, you need to be aware of surroundings enough that you don't back yourself into a corner (or you do back them in), that you have room for whatever you try next, etc. There's not much concern (in competition) that you'll be jumped by a second guy, so you can afford to focus more closely on a single person. Training for multiple attackers means always working to watch for the "other guy", keeping a secondary awareness for movement that might indicate someone stepping into the fight. Mind you, in many MMA gyms, there are a lot of folks training at the same time, so you're doing some of this awareness training. What you're likely not doing, though, is working on movement patterns to keep other people from your back, to control where the "room" is, in relationship to you and your opponent. That wouldn't be an important factor in most competition.
  • With an assumption there can always be a knife, there's no "taking a punch" (or variations thereof). In competition training, if a strike isn't effective for the ruleset (not hard enough, perhaps, in MM), then it can be partially ignored to allow you to enter and attack. With the assumption there may be a knife, we always defend every attack, even if it appears ineffective, because an ineffective punch can look a lot like a sloppy stab, which is far more effective. Will we still get hit sometimes? Sure, and we'll get "stabbed" by knife attacks, too. But we always defend every attack that could connect.
How important are those differences? I think they are very important. Others will disagree. I'm not sure there's a good way to settle that difference of opinion, and I'm okay with that.

So you keep looking around in a fight for other guys. you get bashed by the guy in front of you. There are better ways to protect yourself from multiples than fighting distracted. And not this line three people up while you just knock them out rubbish either. There are different elements to fighting multiples than what a lot of people believe.

in a fight it is four or five punches a second. you cannot individually address each punch. Which is why people cover. If it is a weapon tough you sorta kind of do have to address each attack individually. And why your strategy needs to change.

You can half and half by restricting opportunities to attack. But that is again position and pressure.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I disagree almost entirely with his initial point. That's one tool, and one that is not always available (for some of us, very sporadically). So, where he says "period", he's far overstating the case for concealed carry.

Depends on how you view he states it. He says something along the line of addressing a truly evil person. And yeah shoot them is good advice.

We generally don't address truly evil people.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd hazard a guess there's no "I" key on his keyboard. Or, in his brutal days of youth, someone bit off the tip of his right middle and ring fingers and the pinky won't reach that far...

We are told there is no i in team. So therefore there is one less i in akido.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on how you view he states it. He says something along the line of addressing a truly evil person. And yeah shoot them is good advice.

We generally don't address truly evil people.
Oh, I have no problem with his concept that a gun is a useful tool and effective for dealing with truly evil people. My problem is that he pretty much says it's where everyone should start. IMO, it's a waste of time to start there, if you can't have it with you most or all of the time. Better to train for something you always have - like your own hands and feet.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you keep looking around in a fight for other guys. you get bashed by the guy in front of you. There are better ways to protect yourself from multiples than fighting distracted. And not this line three people up while you just knock them out rubbish either. There are different elements to fighting multiples than what a lot of people believe.

in a fight it is four or five punches a second. you cannot individually address each punch. Which is why people cover. If it is a weapon tough you sorta kind of do have to address each attack individually. And why your strategy needs to change.

You can half and half by restricting opportunities to attack. But that is again position and pressure.
Not looking around for them, trained to look for the patterns. Our peripheral vision reduces in stress, but doesn't go away. We have to keep awareness of the environment, anyway, and training the mind to see patterns of likely attacks produces a secondary awareness. Our brains are excellent pattern matchers, and match patterns subconsciously, so it doesn't distract from what we are focused on.

As for a fight being any one thing, that's true once it gets to the point of someone throwing punches (having closed the distance). Managing prior to that point is important. And movement can control the flow, even when dealing with those punches. You're right that it's not as simple as it is in the drills. The drills are, like many things, to improve the odds.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here is another nice video of an Aikidoist involved in a brawl with a hooligan.

Nice throw to control and the situation resolved!
I found humor in how the guy in black was just way outclassed. He should have walked away as soon as the guy in white smacked him.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. A big, red flag when someone alleges to be a knife defense expert, though. Isn't it? :)
Yep, in my mind. Except in ... maybe 2 instances. Both of which instances I can wrap up in one dude who trains at Windsong Dojo, in OKC. The guy is retired special forces who has been "in the stuff," not to hear him tell it but other people that know him and what he's done (to a point) in said service. Also... he literally grew up in Manila, and started practicing bladework there about age 13.

So... maybe that guy's got cred if he said, which he doesn't, that he's a knife defense "expert."

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, about the best you can do with that is use a soft substitute, and many of the responses have to be softened, too.
Indeed. At least, that's the way I look at it, too.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I never said you hated it, and I am aware you are just giving your opinion on why MMA 'clown' it.
Well I also kindly left out the Ki blasting and no touch videos you can find so easily on YouTube which is another main reason MMA clowns on Aikido so frequently.

Personally I don't train aikido to fit in with the MMA crowd so it doesn't bug me. I also know allot of people train aikido for different goals or reasons compared to my reasons which doesn't need to be the same.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I found humor in how the guy in black was just way outclassed. He should have walked away as soon as the guy in white smacked him.

This must be fake, everyone knows Aikido only works in the dojo against compliant uke's ;)

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This must be fake, everyone knows Aikido only works in the dojo against compliant uke's ;)
Do we know if that guy was a confirmed aikidoka?

I also know aikido techniques and strategies can work against a wide array of opponents. It just depends on if the aikidoka can apply his aikido correctly.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is one of the confirmed media cases of an aikidoka using aikido in an altercation.

He was also a newer aikidoka so that's kind of cool but I will say he's lucky it was against a gun and not a blade.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we know if that guy was a confirmed aikidoka?

I also know aikido techniques and strategies can work against a wide array of opponents. It just depends on if the aikidoka can apply his aikido correctly.

I don't have any confirmation, except that his movement and approach is in line with what I've seen in some Aikido schools.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If he isn't does that means it no longer an Aikido technique?

If I punch someone in the face am I a karate-ka, boxer, Mauy Thai, kickboxing?

Akido....

Bugger keep forgetting the I.

Latest Discussions