Your students or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my opinion he did ask you, since you are the only one who uses those terms. Therefore you would be the only one who may know what the hanja (kanji is the Japanese term) looks like.

Saying that you'd be "interested" in seeing the kanji, or hanja for that matter, hardly qualifies as asking a particular person to show them to you.

I know kanji is the Japanese term. That's why I was a bit puzzled when Miguksaram said: "I would be interested in seeing the Kanji of the term 'Sa-Hyung'." Why do you think he said kanji instead of hanja?

I figured that you were ignoring his question, in the same way that you ignore mine.

I give all of your questions the attention they deserve, Glenn.

I suppose that you could use those terms if you really wanted to, but perhaps not in front of native Korean speakers.

I will pass along your opinion to the Korean gentleman who told me these terms.

Pax,

Chris

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Saying that you'd be "interested" in seeing the kanji, or hanja for that matter, hardly qualifies as asking a particular person to show them to you.

I know kanji is the Japanese term. That's why I was a bit puzzled when Miguksaram said: "I would be interested in seeing the Kanji of the term 'Sa-Hyung'." Why do you think he said kanji instead of hanja?
Hmmmm...why would I? Could be a deep conspiracy to infiltrate the yakuza by showing off my keen knowledge of the term for Chinese characters in Japanese...OR it could be that before I met my wife I was studying Japanese so I have always referred to the Chinese characters in this manner. With that said...I would be interested in seeing the hanja for these words. I personally have never heard them used in TKD or even in regular Korean conversation (at least not with my family or Korean dramas I watch. :) ).

This is why I would be interested in seeing the kanj...oopps....hanja for the word. No I did not directly ask you for this, but if you knew of where I could see it that would be peachy. :)

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmmm...why would I? Could be a deep conspiracy to infiltrate the yakuza by showing off my keen knowledge of the term for Chinese characters in Japanese...OR it could be that before I met my wife I was studying Japanese so I have always referred to the Chinese characters in this manner. With that said...I would be interested in seeing the hanja for these words.

And I used the term "kanji" because that's how you referred to the characters even though it's a Japanese term.

So why do you think Glenn decided to "correct" my post and not yours?

I personally have never heard them used in TKD or even in regular Korean conversation (at least not with my family or Korean dramas I watch. :) ).

Neither had I until recently. I knew hyung means "older brother" for males but had not heard of sa-hyung before. Guess you learn something new every day.

Pax,

Chris

Last edited:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And I used the term "kanji" because that's how you referred to the characters even though it's a Japanese term.

So why do you think Glenn decided to "correct" my post and not yours?
Well if I had to guess it was he addressing your post directly and put in Hanja then explained that Hanja=Kanji so that all people were clear on the terms being used. So in essence correcting us both of the correct term to use while educating others on what hanja means in case they did not know.

Neither had I until recently. I knew hyung means "older brother" for males but had not heard of sa-hyung before. Guess you learn something new every day.

Pax,

Chris
Right which is why I am curious as to the hanja of it all. It may be some out dated term that no one uses anymore like sipsaram which was another way of saying wife way back when (according to my 18 year old Korean language text book.ha.haha)

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It may be some out dated term that no one uses anymore like sipsaram which was another way of saying wife way back when (according to my 18 year old Korean language text book.ha.haha)

I take it you mean Chipsaram? And if so, whoah! When did that get outdated and what's replaced it? I found that one of the funniest sexist phrases in Korean (particularly when combined as in "uri chipsaram").

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if I had to guess it was he addressing your post directly and put in Hanja then explained that Hanja=Kanji so that all people were clear on the terms being used. So in essence correcting us both of the correct term to use while educating others on what hanja means in case they did not know.

I wonder why Glenn didn't just correct your post instead of mine, since you were the one who made the initial error. Any thoughts on that?

Pax,

Chris

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I take it you mean Chipsaram? And if so, whoah! When did that get outdated and what's replaced it? I found that one of the funniest sexist phrases in Korean (particularly when combined as in "uri chipsaram").

Yes Sipsaram (sheep sah rahm) The hangul 'ㅅ' (siot) accompanied by 'ㅣ' (ee) make the sound 'she' I guess the new correct romanized way to write it is 'ssi'. My text book...and I am being serious....translates it to 'Husband's humble use'.

My wife (girlfriend at the time) told me to drop the class.ha.ha.ha.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wonder why Glenn didn't just correct your post instead of mine, since you were the one who made the initial error. Any thoughts on that?

Pax,

Chris

Again, he was in a conversation with you at the time. So I am assuming he took that opportunity to make the correction. Perhaps if I was in a conversation with him he may have corrected me then. However, if you really want to know the true reason why...just ask the source.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, he was in a conversation with you at the time. So I am assuming he took that opportunity to make the correction. Perhaps if I was in a conversation with him he may have corrected me then. However, if you really want to know the true reason why...just ask the source.

Interesting. I don't think it's accurate, but it is interesting.

Glenn isthe one who brought up you asking for the hanja when he said: "That's why Jeremy asked to see the chinese character." He knew what you had posted, obviously, so why not just make a correction to you when he saw your post initially?

As for asking the source, I'm sure if Glenn's interested he'll jump on in. He's always ready to courteously educate people about his thoughts, I've found, whether you ask him or not. But I was interested in what you thought about his behavior. That's why I asked you directly.

Pax,

Chris

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes Sipsaram (sheep sah rahm) The hangul 'ㅅ' (siot) accompanied by 'ㅣ' (ee) make the sound 'she' I guess the new correct romanized way to write it is 'ssi'. My text book...and I am being serious....translates it to 'Husband's humble use'.

My wife (girlfriend at the time) told me to drop the class.ha.ha.ha.

Ah, OK. I'm aware of siot-ee becoming she, but I thought you were referring to this word:

집사람

This translates as "house person" and when you use it you say "our house-person" rather than "my wife" which kinda makes her sound like a family servant. My Korean teacher (female) didn't think it was as funny as I did :) I'm fairly sure my wife would find it even less so...

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting. I don't think it's accurate, but it is interesting.

Glenn isthe one who brought up you asking for the hanja when he said: "That's why Jeremy asked to see the chinese character." He knew what you had posted, obviously, so why not just make a correction to you when he saw your post initially?

As for asking the source, I'm sure if Glenn's interested he'll jump on in. He's always ready to courteously educate people about his thoughts, I've found, whether you ask him or not. But I was interested in what you thought about his behavior. That's why I asked you directly.

Pax,

Chris

Actually what you asked me was why did he correct your post and not mine. I gave you what I thought was his reasoning. Now you are asking about his behavior on the manner? Well I can tell you that he has the same behavior that I have known from him since 1999. I can also tell you that it may come out as abrasive over the net because people already have a predisposition about him and as such already think he is trying to be abrasive. However, if you meet him person and chat with him and he asks the same question you will find that it is not as abrasive as you might think.

So are directly asking me if I think his behavior is hostile towards you or are you wondering why he is picking on you and not me? Again, I think he was correct both of us but was posting the correction in a response to you. I do not think he was just nit picking at you and leaving me alone.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ah, OK. I'm aware of siot-ee becoming she, but I thought you were referring to this word:

집사람

This translates as "house person" and when you use it you say "our house-person" rather than "my wife" which kinda makes her sound like a family servant. My Korean teacher (female) didn't think it was as funny as I did :) I'm fairly sure my wife would find it even less so...
Yep...that was the word and yes...the wife wasn't pleased with it.haha.ha

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually what you asked me was why did he correct your post and not mine. I gave you what I thought was his reasoning. Now you are asking about his behavior on the manner?

Not in general. His behavior in question, that's all.

Well I can tell you that he has the same behavior that I have known from him since 1999. I can also tell you that it may come out as abrasive over the net because people already have a predisposition about him and as such already think he is trying to be abrasive. However, if you meet him person and chat with him and he asks the same question you will find that it is not as abrasive as you might think.

Your comments about people's predisposition about Glenn is amusing, to say the least :) But, like I said, my question was about his behavior of "correcting" my post, not yours.

So are directly asking me if I think his behavior is hostile towards you or are you wondering why he is picking on you and not me? Again, I think he was correct both of us but was posting the correction in a response to you. I do not think he was just nit picking at you and leaving me alone.

I stated what my question was. I ust find it odd that Glenn decided to "correct" my post instead of yours. Frankly, I don't need him to correct me when it comes to knowing the difference between Japanese and Korean :lol: And by your own admission you don't either as your use of "kanji" seems a kind of "short hand" for you.

FWIW, I don't have to ask anyone's opinion about the hostility (or lack thereof) of Glenn's behavior. The very idea is funny since he's never been anything but courteous to everyone he's interacted with on this site.

Pax,

Chris

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I stated what my question was. I ust find it odd that Glenn decided to "correct" my post instead of yours. Frankly, I don't need him to correct me when it comes to knowing the difference between Japanese and Korean :lol: And by your own admission you don't either as your use of "kanji" seems a kind of "short hand" for you.

Ok..then we'll just mark up his behavior as being odd and move on.

FWIW, I don't have to ask anyone's opinion about the hostility (or lack thereof) of Glenn's behavior. The very idea is funny since he's never been anything but courteous to everyone he's interacted with on this site.

Pax,

Chris

Well then all is good in the hood.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok..then we'll just mark up his behavior as being odd and move on.

Yes, it is odd, especially since you've known him for so long. You'd think he'd have some inkling as to your knowledge on the subject, as well as, perhaps, your favoring of he term "kanji" for such things instead of "hanja."

Well then all is good in the hood.

Oh, sure. Obviously anything Glenn says can only be taken as being the most courteous possible behavior on his part. Any other thought is simply ridiculous.

Pax,

Chris

Last edited:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, it is odd, especially since you've known him for so long. You'd think he'd have some inkling as to your knowledge on the subject, as well as, perhaps, your favoring of he term "kanji" for such things instead of "hanja."
Well I guess I never told him my deep dark secret about learning Japanese prior to learning Korean and hence the reason why I automatically just think Kanji instead of Hanja when referring to Chinese characters. I rarely discuss Hanja with my wife much less other people.

When Glenn and I have talked the topics revolve around TKD, Korean history, TKD books, "war" stories, different martial arts. Can't say Korean language has ever been a topic that has come up very often. Oh wait, he did ask if I could speak Korean fluently which I replied not fluently.

Oh, sure. Obviously anything Glenn says can only be taken as being the most courteous possible behavior on his part. Any other thought is simply ridiculous.

Pax,

Chris
Wow...he must really be under your skin today. So I have to ask, when you go to bed tonight will you still be this passive aggressive? Or will you just finally let it go that Glenn was correcting both of us and chalk it up to Oh...ok. hanja not kanji.?

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Well, if I had to venture a guess, I remember he mentioned a long time ago in another forum that he had or was studying Japanese kanji, as part of his karate studies. I think at the moment his main martial arts focus is Karate, Sharkey's Karate (see his signature line) so he was probably thinking in Japanese when he was thinking about the characters. But you would have to ask him if you wanted to know for sure.

I give all of your questions the attention they deserve, Glenn.

ok.

I will pass along your opinion to the Korean gentleman who told me these terms.

Good. While you are doing that, try asking him if he has ever used sa hyung or sa je in conversation before.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I guess I never told him my deep dark secret about learning Japanese prior to learning Korean and hence the reason why I automatically just think Kanji instead of Hanja when referring to Chinese characters. I rarely discuss Hanja with my wife much less other people.

Actually you did mention it, in another forum a while ago. :)

Wow...he must really be under your skin today. So I have to ask, when you go to bed tonight will you still be this passive aggressive? Or will you just finally let it go that Glenn was correcting both of us and chalk it up to Oh...ok. hanja not kanji.?

I wasn't correcting anyone, I was simply mentioning it in passing. I don't know why it is such a big deal.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually you did mention it, in another forum a while ago. :)
Cool...then I guess it is not a deep dark secret after all..pssst....just don't tell anyone I do Karate or they will think I know less about Taekwondo than they think I know already. :)

I wasn't correcting anyone, I was simply mentioning it in passing. I don't know why it is such a big deal.
Me neither.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I can tell you that he has the same behavior that I have known from him since 1999. I can also tell you that it may come out as abrasive over the net because people already have a predisposition about him and as such already think he is trying to be abrasive. However, if you meet him person and chat with him and he asks the same question you will find that it is not as abrasive as you might think.

I don't think it is even that, because plenty of people have stated that what I write is blunt and to the point, but not hostile, at least not the way some people are digesting it. What I do think is that people feel hostile that someone would actually have the "nerve" to challenge their beliefs and opinions with facts, facts that they cannot refute with facts of their own. So they sit there all mad, and feeling that anger, project that on to me. It's the old describing other people while looking in the mirror thing.

Remember recently when I mention the Psychology Today article about how masters in their study followed a similar path, which included the selection of three different teachers for different parts of their journey? The stage 1 teacher is what I would call a color belt teacher. This is your average normal dojang, which is geared almost completely towards the development of students to the 1st Dan level. Once students get past that, the curriculum gets very abbreviated. Most instructors can raise students to this level, no problem. The issue becomes what do you do if you want more?

According to the article, at this stage, masters select a new teacher, which is very different than their first teacher. The focus at this stage, according to the article, is precision and perfection in all things associated with the given field. The teacher is a perfectionist, and what was acceptable at the lower level is no longer acceptable. Many times students/budding masters have to move and relocate to learn from their new teacher. This is similar to high school graduates moving away to go to college.

I think the second level teacher is what is most needed today. It is where I have focused for the last I don't know how many years. It is the approach that I take in these online discussions. Most of the conflicts come from those that do not wish to explore things is such a detailed and precise fashion. They are comfortable with what they learned and are still learning from their level one teacher, even if their rank is higher than 1st Dan and they have not really learned anything new in a long time. And they get mad when someone challenges their beliefs and asks them to be more precise in their responses.

Nothing wrong with that, just like there is nothing wrong with graduating from high school and stopping your formal education at that point. Not everyone is cut out go to college, much less grad school. But if that is where people are, then frankly, I don't see the need for higher dan ranks. Afterall, they don't give out college degrees to those who continue to hang out at their high school, long after the graduation commencement ceremonies have passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions