Your Slavery Footprint

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Slavery Becomes a Personal Question Online

ANDREW MARTIN, On Wednesday September 21, 2011, 8:42 pm EDT
Do you know how many slaves work on your behalf?
While many people may assume the answer to that provocative and unsettling question is zero, the creators of a new Web site want to demonstrate how forced labor, especially overseas, is tantamount to slavery.
A nonprofit group, with funding from the State Department, will unveil the new site, www.slaveryfootprint.org, on Thursday in an effort to show that forced laborers are tied to all kinds of everyday products, from electronics and jewelry to the shirt on your back.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Slavery-Becomes-a-Personal-nytimes-3128497430.html?x=0&.v=1

Right now the bandwidth has been over-exceeded they're working to add more servers to handle the load.

Slavery still exists in this world of ours, no doubt about that. Human trafficking is still a reality in several parts of the world. Yet millions don't or won't acknowledge the existence of it as long as they get what they want. How to put a stop to it is one of the things that we as a planet of human beings need to work on.
I guess that the website will help raise awareness and maybe... just maybe help folks make a decision to stop buying the items from certain countries or companies.
Yeah, good luck with that.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. I hope I remember to check this once the server is changed.

joshbrown

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I spent 10 minutes answering questions and got nothing but a blank page for my results

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eh I'll try it, but I hate these sideways "IT's YOUR FAULT!" types of things. I don't own slaves, never have & nor has anybody in my family. If anything we weren't that far removed from & in some ways not as taken care of (sharecroppers, Scotch-Irish peasantry, etc...)

Just like the "Save The Children" commercials. I'm not sending money to them. If they want me to save a child, send me the child to raise.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I didn't follow the link, but I did want to say that one thing I didn't realize until very recently is that human trafficking can be happening in any community and that it doesn't necessarily require the victim to be kidnapped and shipped off somewhere. A neighbor, a coworker, or other person with a seemingly normal life could be in a situation where they are being exploited and it could even be happening in their own home.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Eh I'll try it, but I hate these sideways "IT's YOUR FAULT!" types of things. I don't own slaves, never have & nor has anybody in my family. If anything we weren't that far removed from & in some ways not as taken care of (sharecroppers, Scotch-Irish peasantry, etc...)

Just like the "Save The Children" commercials. I'm not sending money to them. If they want me to save a child, send me the child to raise.
The site is up and running, and it's about modern day slavery. There were a lot of people back before the civil war who didn't own slaves but they sure as hell owned the byproduct of their labors. If they had any clothing made from cotton chances are high that it was picked by slaves. Same is applied today, clothing, electronics, toys, food, just almost anything that is bought/sold/used/consumed by humans today has a small or large slave footprint on it. You or your family don't have to own them... just buy products from those who do whether it's first, second or third hand.
Remember that little blurb about how child labor made all those wonderful fashions for some big named tv/movie star's clothing line to be sold in stores?... Same ting.

On the site be sure to read instructions carefully. Some items you click if you DON'T own them ... others you do...

Last edited:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Never ceases to amaze me how much personal information people blindly give away.

What is your zip code? Your gender? Your age? How many children do you have? Do you own? Rent? Got a home office? How many cars?

C'mon everyone, give up your data to the nice goverment folks and other strangers behind the computer screen. Its for your own good, ya know.

Monroe

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Never ceases to amaze me how much personal information people blindly give away.

What is your zip code? Your gender? Your age? How many children do you have? Do you own? Rent? Got a home office? How many cars?

C'mon everyone, give up your data to the nice goverment folks and other strangers behind the computer screen. Its for your own good, ya know.

It doesn't bother me. The government already knows all this stuff from doing my tax returns.

I don't think the site is working. It said I have used zero slaves. I doubt it.

Latest Discussions