Your most difficult pre-Dan test?

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not counting your 1st Dan test, which are almost always "The Big Test" at any given school, which of your other tests was the most difficult for you?

I'm not asking which of the kup/kyu tests you think is the most difficult (as that would be totally subjective), but which one was the most difficult for you at the time you took it, and why.

(Just thinking, some of you have been BBs for so long you may not even remember all your tests before BB, so any test other than your 1st Dan test is fine too)

We all know that as the tests get more difficult, our ability to test grows as well, but those two aren't always in lock step. Sometimes you learn a lot from a test that greatly helps you in the next few, sometimes a test really takes you by surprise and it turns into an embarrassing and exhausting uphill battle.

So, tell us a story :)

For me, it was the 6th kup test, for green belt (ITF style TKD). It was my first test where sparring was included, and I hadn't done any sparring outside my belt level until that test. I found myself sparring 12 different partners, all but one of whom was 25 to 30 years younger than me, and much higher ranked. They were also sparring for their next belt ;) I lived through it, but I learned a whole lot about sparring, keeping my hands up and protecting my nose, and remembering to BREATHE while sparring at that test :) It was a painful but excellent learning experience for me.

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't have any that really stand out except for recently.

On Oct. 3, 2009, I took a 5th Dan preliminary exam (same format as normal exam) while recovering from the flu. I was no longer contagious and cleared by my doctor, but I was still weak and didn't have alot of physical endurance. It was a bit rough at times.

R. McLain

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
During most of My testings, especially Dan testings something always went wrong. One I broke my ring finger on my left hand, all my breaking had to be with the right hand. One I was recovering, but still had a sinus infection and was running a fever. One I my calf muscle had been torn about 3 weeks prior and I was on my monthly. (if you are female you know that that is a real *****)

Probably the most trying time I had was not during any testing. It was in the Green/High Green belt area. I guess you look up and see that you have come 1/2 way between white and black and don't know if you have what it takes to make it to the other side. I think that I told my self to quit every other week till I got to blue.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Blue to purple. My instructors GM was there and a whole group of other masters and BBs. It was probably the best test I ever had but it was the hardest. It was the first test where i broke blocks and boards. You would have thought i was testing for Black belt. After the test, I was the lucky one who got to spar with an alternate from the 88 olympic team. It was just to demo the "new" style of fighting that we all hadnt started doing. Of course I punched him in the mouth... not knowing and out of habit. That alone was enough to convince my instructor to never abandon sparring for "olympic Sparring". A 13/14 year old kid punched an olympic athlete in the mouth... what would happen on the street. so we never fully switched. we did both depending on the upcoming competition.

After the test, GM Kim said the tests were too hard. I am positive my instructor made it harder to prove a point, he was bucking the way they were trying to change tkd, and how our school was the best because we trained hard and they should be more like us... ah politics.... I think that was the first time I saw TKD getting soft. making it easier instead of difficult. I am glad my instructor never compromised.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine was testing from Blue to Blue with Brown Tip (4th to 3rd gup). I broke boards at every test, but this test was supposed to be a side kick. I was allowed three attempts and I was unable to break it. Then I had had to stand there, knowing I just failed my test and watch everyone else break their board and then (as the highest rank at that test) audibly bow everyone out at the end.
I held my composure until after we had bowed out and then went and cried in my mom's arms.

Did I mention I was eight years old?
But, a month later I tested again and passed. Of all the tests I went through, this first attempt for 3rd gup is the one I remember the best, and the one that I am actually the most proud of because of how I was able to respond at the time, and a month later.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Green to blue was really hard, because I got hit with a BAD gallbladder attack at the beginning of the test.

Then there was my first brown belt test--I had torn the ligaments in my right ankle about 6 weeks before and was still supposed to be in a splint (I abandoned that a week after the injury--it hurt more than just using a support). I had an elastic support on my ankle and a brace laced over that, but it still hurt like the dickens, and I overestimated my ability to get through the whole 3 hour test without eating. I had a blood sugar crash and my brain stopped working. I barely passed. Ugh.

OP
jim777

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My first one was the hardest because I was scared as hell.

At my first test I was the only one of about 30 testing over the age of 10, and I was 44. :) I was testing for 8th kup and the other white belts were testing for 9th. It was actually pretty funny - all the proud parents watching the test, most of whom were younger than me :lol: The black belts laughed the first time the whole group yelled 'Kia' after a kick, as I drowned out the class. I came in nervous, then felt a bit embarrassed by the odd stares from the spectators, but it ended well. I think that ease made all subsequent tests a bit easier for me.