your legs are the roots.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Right. My Sifu says to do so it takes practice. You must beging to Visualize your Force traveling downward. In other words in Aikido we would say make yourself heavier. But my Sifu often talks aboout finding your center of gravity and then planting yourself to floor. There is a practice. First you practice your Horse on bricks that are flat. Then you stand on the bricks slightly up the long way. Then stand on the bricks totally vertical with out them falling. When you can do this your well rooted.

My teacher was showing the difference between going low in a horse stance and actual rooting. If you can sink and relax(chen and song) you will be more stable and rooted then if you were just sitting in Ma bu or horse stance. Internalizing your stances and footwork will make them more stable.

OP
skinters

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My Sifu always preaches about strecthing. Sihing preaches even more. I have been lazy because I don't do Chinese splites. My Sihing says your not strecth out if you can't do a split. I need to pay more attention to flexibilty in the groin area so I can put my foot on head.

put your foot on your opponents head ?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay your speaking of Flexiability. Yes...So true One should focus on... flexibilty in the groin area so I can put my foot on head.

My head? Your head? Who cares, with my physiology, at my age (371 in dog-years), it ain't gonna happen! That's one reason I do Wing Tsun. I can kick to the knee or groin without spending hours stretching out. Similarly, I can hit hard without worrying about doing a lot of weight training (I do lift, but in moderation. My instructor would rather I quit it altogether).

Another thing, Yoshi, there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the old fashioned exercises you recommend. Granted, we all have some limits on our time, the trick is to know what to emphasize and what to leave out. That's why WC/WT only has three empty-handed forms, or (with the dummy, pole and butterfly swords) six sets in the whole system. Other systems have dozens of long, intricate forms, but there's a limit to what any person can assimilate and apply. Realistically, it is better to be selective in your training. IMHO.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very true train with in your time restraints. But also just because Wing Chun has three hand forms doesn't mean the early practioners didn't practice eight hours a day. But as for flexability. You can go ahead strecth your legs out so you can put your foot above your own head. You don't have to kick that high...But it will allow you feel alot better. Your kicks will be stronger below the Waist.

And some Wing Chun Systems have thousands of drills...Both one man and two man drills. That could practice for weeks.

My head? Your head? Who cares, with my physiology, at my age (371 in dog-years), it ain't gonna happen! That's one reason I do Wing Tsun. I can kick to the knee or groin without spending hours stretching out. Similarly, I can hit hard without worrying about doing a lot of weight training (I do lift, but in moderation. My instructor would rather I quit it altogether).

Another thing, Yoshi, there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the old fashioned exercises you recommend. Granted, we all have some limits on our time, the trick is to know what to emphasize and what to leave out. That's why WC/WT only has three empty-handed forms, or (with the dummy, pole and butterfly swords) six sets in the whole system. Other systems have dozens of long, intricate forms, but there's a limit to what any person can assimilate and apply. Realistically, it is better to be selective in your training. IMHO.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And some Wing Chun Systems have thousands of drills...Both one man and two man drills. That could practice for weeks.

I know (groan)... don't remind me. In fact I was just discussing that with a training partner this afternoon. We may start teaching publicly again just for that reason. If you are constantly teaching lower ranks, you are forced to practice and review all that material! By teaching others, you re-train yourself.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That is so true...If one could re-locate to area where Wing Chun teaching was in high demand...One could literally live off teaching Wing Chun alone. By living in building slash business. Working out six days a week and training four to five days a week.

Your skill would be phenomnal...If you could get that much practice in and train people as well.

I know (groan)... don't remind me. In fact I was just discussing that with a training partner this afternoon. We may start teaching publicly again just for that reason. If you are constantly teaching lower ranks, you are forced to practice and review all that material! By teaching others, you re-train yourself.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That is so true...If one could re-locate to area where Wing Chun teaching was in high demand...One could literally live off teaching Wing Chun alone. By living in building slash business. Working out six days a week and training four to five days a week.

Your skill would be phenomnal...If you could get that much practice in and train people as well.

Sounds like a dream come true!!!!!!!

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
getting to practice and hone my skills 4 - 5 hours a day on a day to day basis sounds amazing enough as it is.. but to be able to live off of doing that... there are no words for such a thing! :)

Latest Discussions