your legs are the roots.

skinters

Blue Belt
Reaction score
my sifu constantly drilling it into me the importance of stance.when i chisao he stops me to tell me this,and before the class ends he comes up to me and tells me it again.

after all this time its finally sunk in how so important a good structured stance really is.being able to keep that structure throughout,moving forwards,backwards,being put under pressure,always in stance.

knowing,and doing what you know where this is concerned are totally different things.its only when you make the stance and structure work for you that all the peices start to fit.

my sifu would say ok great you have fast hands you coming through with strikes marvelous,BUT look at your legs,your all over the place because your structure is no good,sink down into it.

i know it might seem to you that all this should be obvious,but well to me it wasnt and with this i had a thought:

your arms are the branches.
your body is the trunk.
your legs are the roots.

if the tree has no roots or the roots are weak,what happens to the tree?

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Amen that....it's likened to a boxer without legs....seems some schools that I have visited place a great deal of emphasis on hand techniques and little time on proper legwork,I remember being asked in one post what adduction meant,this should need no explanation as it is foundation to the system,grabbing the ground is what I like to call it.Without proper legwork in conjunction with hand techniques it is fruitless.Personally I like to spend a great deal of time transitioning from one leg movement to the next,especially while working two man sets.Two cents...dig this...I wanted to add
I remember taking a heavy head on frontal attack from an opponent,without thinking,I shot a bong sau out of nowhere... took on the full force while turning..corkscrewed it forward...I stuck to the centerline principle....neutralized his attack..then followed up with a barrage of fists....were it not for my adductors,I would have lost my balance..I took the hit all the way through my body to the ground,scared the crap out of me...the force was tremendous..this cat was huge..but he ended up eating all of it.nuff said....

Last edited:

hkfuie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely agreed. Believe it or not, this is what I heard all the years in TKD, then reinforced when I trained in KF. Being a woman, I am smaller than many of my opponents. I KNOW muscle is not going to do it for me. I do have powerful legs, but everything I do has to be rooted. I think this is one of those things that follows through in every movement I make all day. I love the sense of knowing my body so well that I get from martial arts training. In jujitsu now, I am getting a new sense of using my center in throws and locks. Skinters, I think you are onto something. I find the more I learn, the more depths there are to explore. I did not realize until I wrote this that jujitsu was helping me explore using my center in a new way. This is why I love martial arts.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My Sifu often discusses the Root and finding your center of gravity. Even when are out just with the family visting. In little things from interaction with children to other family memebers He is alway stressing the root. One time my Sifu and other family memebers were at a rolling skating rink. My Sifu was stressing to me even on skates he could find his center gravity and root to floor. I never tried to test him because his Jao Sao is really good I an I dont want to end up on floor from trying to use too much force to make him move.

My Sifu would often stress with out a strong foundation a house can not stand. This means of course the Basics need to be solid which in fact includes a strong root. Solid YGKYM also gives you more force with your punches. I found this out when I was sparring my Sidai one day. Now I am small 5'8 guy. At the time I weighed about 150lbs and I was around 16 or 17. I was sparring my Sidai who was 5'11 and weighed about 180lbs. I struck him with palm strike to chest. While Moving forward with Front step. My body,legs,arms,hips,waist,wrist,elbows and shoulders all connected at the same time. I hit him dead on his center when He wasn't rooted. I mean My arm was using that much force but he came off his feet. He traveled about three feet an smash upagainst the back door in kitchen. He wiped his chest off as he got up. He shook him self off an asked me what Kinda of Chi did I hit him with. Thats when I first started to understand how body structure all links up.

The root is so important. If you have a strong root you can channel energy from the ground through your feet-ankles-knees-hips-waist-chest-shoulders-elbows-wrist=to the fist. An the energy combined with your external force will be greatly multplied. I think it is also good to practice using your root on heavy bag. Like 200lbs to train dispersing your force from the ground up. Also train a type of push hand execerises to help apply your root.

But the root is so important. What are some of the ways you practice building up your Root?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ironically I found that by building up the root is through movement. When I found the right balance between my hiking/caving and martial arts I was doing much better in both. All the hiking and tough climbs that I done, all that using the leg muscles to get me through a cave helped build them up and as a result my balance and strength have increased significantly during MA.
Now I'm not recommending taking up caving (oh yes I am :rolleyes: ) but cycling, jogging, and weight training focusing on the leg muscles (entire length of the leg from hip to ankle) really will help.
Observing nature gives a clue... if you've seen Sequoias (in real life or on film/pictures) they're amazing trees to be sure... now imagine their roots.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Someways I practice buidling my root is:

1.Standing on one leg(one-five minutes each hour) When Possible

2.At work when I ride up and down the elevator each day Stand one leg while riding.(Only applicable when no one else is on the evelator.)

3.Practice standing in Yee Kim Yeung Ma for twenty minutes.

4.I also practice the Arrow stance and Traditional Horse stance.(Five to ten minutes a day)

Ironically I found that by building up the root is through movement. When I found the right balance between my hiking/caving and martial arts I was doing much better in both. All the hiking and tough climbs that I done, all that using the leg muscles to get me through a cave helped build them up and as a result my balance and strength have increased significantly during MA.
Now I'm not recommending taking up caving (oh yes I am :rolleyes: ) but cycling, jogging, and weight training focusing on the leg muscles (entire length of the leg from hip to ankle) really will help.
Observing nature gives a clue... if you've seen Sequoias (in real life or on film/pictures) they're amazing trees to be sure... now imagine their roots.

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Greetings.

Having good stance stability is of utmost importance. It must be trained diligently from beginner level.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your structure in deflection and attack are all affected by your stance. It is the base of the pillar. Without it your power in punching and everything elese falls by the wayside.
It really great that your sifu focuses so much on your stance, many do not. Soon it will be as natural to you as walking.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually I been practicing for almost two decades now. So It is very natural. I think thats the key. Using Wing Chun steps is easy for me now. Because My Sifu use to drill them endlesses. Its like regular walking. Now beginners when they fight they have to come up out of the stance. Because they can not move as fast in the stance. But once you get use it. Its like second nature.

Your structure in deflection and attack are all affected by your stance. It is the base of the pillar. Without it your power in punching and everything elese falls by the wayside.
It really great that your sifu focuses so much on your stance, many do not. Soon it will be as natural to you as walking.

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Actually I been practicing for almost two decades now. So It is very natural. I think thats the key. Using Wing Chun steps is easy for me now.

I've become aware of that. :)
Some things you say Hubbie caught right away, but I'm like "huh? did I understand that right?" lol!

Besides, I think I've got some funny ideas about WC/WT rumbling around in my head. And some guys don't agree, don't like it, or don't get it. But, I guess starting to form your own ideas and theories are part of WC/WT progression.
I get all the really weird questions from students that they don't want to ask "sifu" hubbie about. lol! And have to come up with some answeres. Keeps me on my toes.

But, basic is more comfey for me still than advance stance, but that is changing. Just starting ot step more naturally into it when going into the opponent.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a kata called Sanchin, in our Okinawan GoJu Ryu system, that emphasizes rooting. It is not a well understood concept, and hard to grasp for the beginner. Some people think that the idea of rooting is equated to being stuck to the floor, and also with hindered movement.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Really shallow, less than 6 feet down unless buried by flood, but wide. No taproot. Don't need no stinkin' imagination, I got me a textbook.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Si-je Said:
Some things you say Hubbie caught right away, but I'm like "huh? did I understand that right?" lol!

Please explain what were some of things you didn't get right away?

Si-Je Said:
Besides, I think I've got some funny ideas about WC/WT rumbling around in my head.

What are some of the funny ideas.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
You are absolutely right,I wish I was in the mountains,I miss the northwest.
Remember this; a stretched muscle is stronger.....and don't bounce...

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
coaches know this....it's no secret.most people who exercise neglect the importance of proper stretching.Fewer injuries.....quicker recovery.nuff said

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay your speaking of Flexiability. Yes...So true One should focus on

1.Strength
2.Flexibitly
3.Agility
4.Speed
5.Power
6.Timing
7.Accuracy

These will greatly increase your skill!

My Sifu always preaches about strecthing. Sihing preaches even more. I have been lazy because I don't do Chinese splites. My Sihing says your not strecth out if you can't do a split. I need to pay more attention to flexibilty in the groin area so I can put my foot on head.
coaches know this....it's no secret.most people who exercise neglect the importance of proper stretching.Fewer injuries.....quicker recovery.nuff said

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
OIK although splits might help....imagine a whipping...... forward thrusting kick....or a diagonal kick....or a side kick,relaxed...lots of power!

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My teacher was showing the difference between going low in a horse stance and actual rooting. If you can sink and relax(chen and song) you will be more stable and rooted then if you were just sitting in Ma bu or horse stance. Internalizing your stances and footwork will make them more stable.

Latest Discussions