Sil Lum Tao on One Leg

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, hard-style Wing Chun anyways. Historically different VT/WC personalities varied their interpretation of the system according to what worked for them. Larger. more powerful individuals typically expressed their VT differently than smaller, weaker individuals.

In my lineage, this is the interpretation of the story (or fable, if you prefer) of Yip Man's two teachers, Chan Wah Shun and Leung Bic. Chan Wah shun in his prime was a powerful and aggressive fighter. Leung Bic was less powerful and more of a technician, ...a soft stylist if you will. Yip Man stated that he learned from both, and at different times in his life stressed one or the other more. My teacher learned from Yip Man at the end of his life, when he was physically weak and emphsized the later (Leung Bic) perspective.

Note: I do not insist that the anyone believe the Leung Bic story. I present it as a part of our oral history that adresses the harder and softer strands within the Yip Man VT lineage. And, it is evident that at different times, with different students, Yip Man emphasized different aspects of the totality that is Wing Chun. Unlike some forum members, I do not subscribe to the theory that the variation in WC/VT as practiced by Yip Man's students today is entirely due to their poor understanding or unbridled personal creativity. Although, that is a factor too. ;)

I am in full agreement with you. I don't think anyone's interpretation should be dismissed outright. I think we should examine them all as valid because, after all, my truth is valid for me, but it might not be for you...and that is okay. The two can coexist.

It's too bad not everyone sees it that way. You can cheat yourself out of a lot of learning. I mean, there have been times when I have watched a Wing Chun video and I came here and said, "Hey guys, this was a revelation to me! Check it out!" Next thing you know, I am getting blasted for giving any attention to a video from some Wing Chun person that I didn't even know was despised.

Recently I came across some Randy Williams videos that show things you can do with the wooden dummy that never even crossed my mind, and it amazed me...but I never shared it here, because I thought to myself, "I bet I get blasted for sharing this guy's stuff!" Which is sad, because I personally think the videos and ideas are really amazing.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
^^^ Yeah. I always thought Randy Williams was annoying. Now that you said that I'll have to blast you. .....Soon as I think of something.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I came up with a list of no less than 30 different exercises that could help with this rooting stuff. So you know what I did, with my obsessive and overanalytical brain? I picked one exercise to do per day for the next 30 days. I am going to cycle through them and see which ones I like. The ones I don't will be forgotten. (Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless...so they say.)

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today's exercise is to put one leg up on the lower wooden dummy arm (or something of comparable height) and stand there for as long as I can. This exercise works the rooting, because my weight sinks into the other leg, but it also works the proper adduction because my hips are tucked in and under, and my spine is completely straight.

There are some exercises I picked where it's better to go by a number of repetitions, but for this one it is better to go by time limit.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, seriously...if you can't ever at least offer constructive criticism, instead of just insulting, why don't you just go somewhere and get a life?

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is a big deal for me, because I have torn ligaments in both knees.

Attachments

• 18057745_10209156213366401_1387124548587112195_n.jpg
    18057745_10209156213366401_1387124548587112195_n.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 124

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have stated elsewhere on this board that my biggest problem right now is my rooting. Sifu has given me several different methods to improve this. However, I have decided my favorite is doing Sil Lum Tao on one leg.
You may try to do SLT when you are running instead.

dynamic rooting > static rooting
footwork > no footwork

1step 1 strike -> 2 steps 1 strike -> 3 step 1 strike -> ...

The day that you understand "running punch", the day that you will have good "dynamic rooting".

Last edited:

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I take the kids skating, I do SNT on roller blades. That said though, he should probably get his static structure correct before he tries to focus on dynamic structure.

Latest Discussions