your favorite rock band

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Of all time? U2, probably. I mean, they're not really 'pop rock', and I think they're a little more widely heard than the term 'alternative' would suggest... so I label 'em 'rock' by default. Your mileage may vary, of course. :D

I dig techno/electronica to some extent, but I'm also a big fan of shoegazing (Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, Auburn Lull, Sigur Ros, Colfax Abbey, etc.).

Don't worry if you haven't heard of that kind of music... not a lot of people I talk to have. :)

Also like Barenaked Ladies, Seal, Tears for Fears, and Better Than Ezra. 80s music has been finding it's way into my CD player, lately, too.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
HKphooey said:
Forgot...

Jane's Addiction
The Cult
Chili Peppers
Ministry
Hey there HKphooey :) Quicker than the human eye? Aye.

Janes Addiction, yeah, good call. The Cult! Wow you remember the Cult? Guns and Roses blah... Axl Rose was only ever a replicant Ian Astbury, gimme the Cult anyday!! I’m liking your thinking here.

Anyone seen the vid for Chili Peppers’ Dani California?? I love it, it’s a real take on the Dave Grohl dressing-up video thing, in fact they’ve taken all the classic rock bands off – everyone from the Pistols to Nirvana themselves.

Yr most obdt hmble srvt
Jenna

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looking at some of the bands people are putting i reckon i could get away with putting the pixies, maybe?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
stone_dragone said:
Does Meatloaf count?

I think so. Bat out of hell was a great album, IMO :D

I still think I know all the words to every song!

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
OnlyAnEgg said:
Of all time?

Rush...hands down.

Of most of the time? Genesis (pre-And Then There Were Three), Queen, Kansas, Yes, Pogues, Wolfstone, Israel Houghton, DMB

I'd have to say you have good taste. For me: Queen, Kansas, Styx, Saga, old Toto, Zepp, Queensryche (older is better), and similar progressive rock with classical influence on structure and form.

Regards,

Dave

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Iron Maiden, Metallica, Pantera, Sabbath, etc. People already named some of the bands that I like.

However, my tastes in metal push way into the hard. My favorite band EVER is Slayer. I have every single album and I've been to a half dozen concerts. I also like Slipknot, Soulfly, Sepultura, anything with a primal scream of pure rage. I love to blast that **** and bust the **** out of my heavy bag until I'm lying on the floor exhausted.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Iron Maiden, Metallica, Pantera, Sabbath, etc. People already named some of the bands that I like.

However, my tastes in metal push way into the hard. My favorite band EVER is Slayer. I have every single album and I've been to a half dozen concerts. I also like Slipknot, Soulfly, Sepultura, anything with a primal scream of pure rage. I love to blast that **** and bust the **** out of my heavy bag until I'm lying on the floor exhausted.
Yay upnorthkyosa, woohoo :) nobody mentioned Slipknot, you get the bonus prize, let me just open the envelope - it's a week butterfly hunting in the Congo, LOL :)

Are Slipknot really real or just a textbook demonstration of publicity through inverse marketing (Marilyn Manson style) by the record company? Me? I don't care either way. Slipknot rule! I'm saying that and I got neither parents nor teachers nor pastors to rebel against, ha! :)

And glad you didn't forget the Maiden. Of course I'd have to say that again. See? We can rock over this side of the pond too ya know!

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Are Slipknot really real or just a textbook demonstration of publicity through inverse marketing (Marilyn Manson style) by the record company?
No comparison. I saw both Slipknot and Manson on Ozzfest a few years back. Manson was just boring ("Look at how shocking I can be! Look!"). Slipknot put on one hell of a set. I was amazed that with all those guys running around on stage, they never ran into each other...
My favorite Manson quote comes from Alice Cooper (paraphrased):
"Oh he uses a woman's name and wears make-up. How original..."

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
two favorite bands would be Rush and U2, with Yes close in there...

I mean, I *did* learn to play bass listening to "Exit...Stage Left" over and over

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sugarloaf and Stevie Ray Vougn, Iron Butterfly, Cream, foghat, Dr John and Dr Hook and the Medicine show, Traffic, just to name a few more.
Terry

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kreth said:
No comparison. I saw both Slipknot and Manson on Ozzfest a few years back. Manson was just boring ("Look at how shocking I can be! Look!"). Slipknot put on one hell of a set. I was amazed that with all those guys running around on stage, they never ran into each other...
My favorite Manson quote comes from Alice Cooper (paraphrased):
"Oh he uses a woman's name and wears make-up. How original..."
Hey Master Kreth :)
Yeah that sounds about right. And what's with Alice Cooper getting wise with age, ha! Although I like their stuff and I'll not be snobbish and say otherwise, I'm just not convinced by the "we're so bad..." image Manson have portrayed from day 1. Slipknot are just plain scary guys - but so much so that I can't believe they're really anything like normal muso's coming together to form a normal band. I don't know their history?? Maybe that's a given. They seem a bit too well mentored in the ways of the perverse and surreal or whatever you wanna call it - like someone's pulling their strings in a big Stephen-King-meets-Pop-Idol-winner sort of way, LOL.

Still, like I say, it doesn't matter to me I think the music stands up on its own.

And dude, you've got to explain your karaoke exploits per your subtitle, ha! Are you really a karaoke junkie? Or is it some sort of crazy "best of Megadeth" karaoke, or are you being ironic? ;) Excuse my ignorance, I am new!!

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
And dude, you've got to explain your karaoke exploits per your subtitle, ha! Are you really a karaoke junkie? Or is it some sort of crazy "best of Megadeth" karaoke, or are you being ironic? ;) Excuse my ignorance, I am new!!
I've been singing karaoke for years. My avatar is from a local karaoke contest last summer. Unfortunately, I was given low originality scores for that round because the judges didn't realize that God of Thunder is a Kiss song. Apparently they thought I randomly decided to wear the make-up.
I did have a lot of fun seeing the looks on faces in the front row when I started spitting the fake blood...
I also just started singing with a local rock/metal band called Conduct Unbecoming. We're playing a few songs at an open mic night next week. We do Metallica, 12 Stones, Godsmack, Priest, et al.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I've been singing karaoke for years. My avatar is from a local karaoke contest last summer. Unfortunately, I was given low originality scores for that round because the judges didn't realize that God of Thunder is a Kiss song. Apparently they thought I randomly decided to wear the make-up.
I did have a lot of fun seeing the looks on faces in the front row when I started spitting the fake blood...
Ha! ROFL !!! I'm giggling like a schoolkid at that description!! I'm picturing SO clearly. Classic stuff :)
Kreth said:
I also just started singing with a local rock/metal band called Conduct Unbecoming. We're playing a few songs at an open mic night next week. We do Metallica, 12 Stones, Godsmack, Priest, et al.
Own stuff too? What are you on yourself? Does the karaoke imply vocals? If not, I'd guess you're drums?? Or maybe the you do a novel Jethro Tull thing on your piccolo in the middle of Breakin the Law, LOL?? Ha! Just jokin wid ya ;)

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Own stuff too?
Well, when I said I just started, I meant that literally. I've been jamming with these guys for about three weeks. They have a couple of originals, we just haven't gotten around to them yet.
What are you on yourself?
Alcohol, adrenalin, and the occasional Marlboro... :uhyeah:

Latest Discussions