Your Favorite Game or Drill

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This is an Excellent thread.

I have been in a variation of Ring of Fire and I love that drill as well. I may come back and read it all carefully and post something later.
:cool:

OP
J

Jayson Barley

1. Selct a technique - Five Swords - and have your attacker initiate the attack. As soon as you have performed the first step. Have them or another attacker initiate another attack. When the second attack is initiated perform a new technique. The second attack can be moved around during the technique, i.e. after the second, third or wherever. You can agree upon the attacks ahead of time and then eventually perform this spontaneously. If doing this with 2 partners the second can attack from any direction.

2. Close your eyes and have a training partner simulate an attack, lightly touch your face with a fist, grab you from behind. Then as soon as you feel contact open your eyes and perform an apporpriate technique. This can also start out with a previously decided upon technique and then become spontateous. To add another dimension to this technique you can use foam padded stick so that you can strike the with full force and then perform the technique in the air with full speed and power.

Jayson Barley

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We had a great drill to teach continuous striking and finding targets as the attacker changes positions.

Attacker throws a punch or kick or attempts to grab. Defender blocks/evades and must continuously strike the attacker. Start in front and work your way around to the side, the back, continue to the other side and back to the front.

Continue striking as attacker ducks head and brings arms up to cover targets. Switch directions and continue circling and striking the attacker.

Continue striking as attacker doubles over. Switch directions and continue circling and strking the attacker.

Continue striking as the attacker drops to his knees. Switch directions and continue circling and striking.

Hey...I have an idea for another (constructive) thread...seeya soon.

OP
T

twinkletoes

Here's what we did in classes today, with kids as new as 6-year old orange belts:

1 partner, the trainer, has a focus pad.

1 partner, the trainee, assumes a fighting stance.

The trainer moves around in all directions, and from time to time flips up the pad so that the trainee can strike with the specific punch (today it was the backfist). The trainer then flips the pad back down and keeps moving.

The trainee's job is to keep appropriate distancing, so he or she is always ready to fire off the punch. The trainer's job is to keep moving in all directions and to simulate a sparring opponent. The trainer should also try to get the trainee to strike while moving in different directions.

We also modified the way the trainer held the pad and repeated this for wheel kicks.

The drill is simple, easy, and everyone can do it. It builds alive footwork and reactions, timing, distancing, awareness, accuracy, concentration, balance, and coordination. It also helps them improve the move of choice. It's fun for kids and adults, and it is a great transition to sparring and other alive drills.

~TT

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Shodan
Almost forgot..........if you want your students to see how messy a knife attack could get...........we were at a seminar once and the instructor gave us each a washable Crayola marker and a partner and had us pretend the markers were knives and spar basically- trying to disarm the other person if possible. Boy were we marked up in the end- another real eye opener!:asian: :karate:

This can also be done with chalk ;) each person has a different color. You switch partners or wiht multiple attakers. This allows you to see who and where they cut you :(. I tis a good learning tool.

:asian:

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We had another drill we called "the Alley". Divide the class into two lines. One defender walks between the two lines from one end of the mat to another. Anyone can attack any way they want at any time. One attacker at a time only.

Improves awareness, reaction time, spontaneous movement & makes you aware of potential multiple/follow-on attackers.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
We had another drill we called "the Alley". Divide the class into two lines. One defender walks between the two lines from one end of the mat to another. Anyone can attack any way they want at any time. One attacker at a time only.

Improves awareness, reaction time, spontaneous movement & makes you aware of potential multiple/follow-on attackers.

I ran a drill very similar and called it "The Gauntlet"

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Latest Discussions