Whats your favorite fighting game?

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which one I like the most between mortal kombat, tekken, or street fighter. There's other games too like king of fighters, streets of rage etc but I mostly play the main 3. What's your favorite fighter game? And what's your favorite thing about it? I have mk, tekken, and I'm debating on getting street fighter too. I'm definitely a geek lol.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Grew up with those 3! MK was full on haha, Street Fighter was fun and played that alot, but gotta say that the Tekken series were and still are my favourite. It feels more realistic, not overly ridiculous in crazy fancy moves and superpowers (exceptions of course), and moreso a really great representation of the different styles of martial arts. Jin is very Kyokushin, Hwoarang fantastic TKD, Eddie Capoiera.. They all MOVED and performed as though really well trained in their respective style.

And I LOVED seeing them doing their forms/kata in the intro!

I do actually think though that just the image of Ryu and Ken first really lit the fire of my interest in MA. Not so much the muscularity etc but the powerful look, intensity and focus in their whole demeanor and eyes. The gi, belts and there was something about that that stoked an interest.

(I actually practice alot of Jin Kazama's combos on the heavy bag haha they're great! Anyone remember □, X, ◇, □, ○? ◇ being triangle haha)

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
Street Fighter 2, Hyper Edition. My brothers and I played that constantly. We were Nintendo players originally, eventually moving on to Playstation and computer games. (Although technically our first system was Colecovision lol) Ended up playing titles like Tekken and Mortal Kombat long after they came out. There was a game called on the Nintendo 64 called Mace The Dark Age that was pretty decent for a fighter game.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to learn how to play that. I hear it gets crazy intense. My brother and sister in law have talked about being interested in it too. None of us have played it before so we could learn together.
That is far more difficult than you might think. D&D is an incredibly complex game with a pile of rule books taller than some of our users. Your best bet is to find a local group. You might start by checking game shops. Many of them have open games.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I want to learn how to play that. I hear it gets crazy intense. My brother and sister in law have talked about being interested in it too. None of us have played it before so we could learn together.
I second what @Dirty Dog suggests. Getting with an experienced group is the best way to learn the ropes, understand how the game is played and the individual creativity that goes into it, and getting your head around the many, complex rules. This is not like your typical board game where you sit down and read the rules the first time you play, and then you are playing fifteen minutes later.

If there is simply nobody experienced who you can get together and learn from, then I suggest buying the Starter set. It has a very abridged set of rules to get you started, and an included adventure that can keep you playing for weeks. The ruleset is enough to understand how the game is played, it is still a rich experience, but is enough to be grasped by a group of total beginners. Once you have that experience and understand how the game works, it becomes easier to buy the complete ruleset and fill in the blanks for later play.

I bought the starter set and I still studied the rules for several weeks, re-read them a dozen times or so, before I felt ready to play as a Dungeon Master (game master, the one who leads the game). And I had played as a kid so I was already familiar with it.

Actually, after playing the Starter Set I recommend buying the Essentials Set. It has a slightly expanded set of rules and another adventure to play, again worth several weeks of play depending on how often and for how long you play. But a couple times a week, for a couple hours at a time, and it will keep you going for weeks.

The Starter set and Essentials Set each cost about $25. Money well spent. The full rules are three hardcover books costing about $50 each although you can often find them for less on Amazon and such. The full rules are vast and as a group of total newbies without an experienced person to guide you, you will simply be frustrated and overwhelmed if you try to jump straight to the complete rules. A lot of the rules can be rather optional, but it takes some experience to understand that. You are gonna read the rule books that are a couple hundred pages each, and be thinking, holy crap, how to I keep this all in my head? You don’t. You keep it as reference so you can look up the rules when you need them, which is not all the time.

Good luck and have fun.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Grew up with those 3! MK was full on haha, Street Fighter was fun and played that alot, but gotta say that the Tekken series were and still are my favourite. It feels more realistic, not overly ridiculous in crazy fancy moves and superpowers (exceptions of course), and moreso a really great representation of the different styles of martial arts. Jin is very Kyokushin, Hwoarang fantastic TKD, Eddie Capoiera.. They all MOVED and performed as though really well trained in their respective style.

I do actually think though that just the image of Ryu and Ken first really lit the fire of my interest in MA. Not so much the muscularity etc but the powerful look, intensity and focus in their whole demeanor and eyes. The gi, belts and there was something about that that stoked an interest.

(I actually practice alot of Jin Kazama's combos on the heavy bag haha they're great! Anyone remember □, X, ◇, □, ○? ◇ being triangle haha)

I remember that one! Left punch, right high kick, right-left circular punches, low kick. Very kyokushinny! Loved to read that post as I feel the same about Tekken.

Tekken 3 was probably my favourite game as a kid, and I casually grinded the **** out of the fifth installment too (Asuka main because she's the best waifu, with Feng, Lei, Steve, Jin and Baek as secondaries).

Picked up a Nintendo Switch towards the end of the pandemic and it's an absolute joy to game again after more than a decade, even if I suck colossal *** at Smash Ultimate. I have UNICLR and BBTAG too but haven't gotten around to learning them yet. I keep hearing good things about Mortal Kombat but the art direction puts me off completely.

Fighting games have a lot in common with actual martial arts. Apart from the obvious (distance, timing, attacking/defending) games can teach you a lot about how to train and improve. And if you compete against others, you better leave your ego at the door because everybody and their hamster will wipe the floor with you. Then they'll show you the basics and point out your flaws, so you get beaten less. You'll think you know everything then get beaten again. Once in a blue moon you do something right and you realise both how far you've come and how far you are from the top. You watch experts in awe wondering how they can possibly do what they do and knowing about the tremendous amounts of hard work they've put into their art. You also wonder why people take the time to teach you how to beat them. Then it dawns on you: they're doing it because they love this stuff and they just want to keep it alive, and they help newbies so that they have people to play with. It's a dojo.

OP mentioned beat'em ups as well and I have a few of those. Finally beat Streets of Rage 4, I'm almost done with Bayonetta 2 (the first one was fantastic) and enjoying River City Girls 2. Sifu is also on the menu :D

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score

My first fighter was mortal kombat 2 on sega genesis. When I was young I always played as sub zero and my brother was always scorpion. Then I saw the movie and I became a big Liu Kang fan and sometimes Johnny cage. Liu Kang definitely inspired me in martial arts. Street fighter I never got the style of play down, I always gravitated back to mk even though I liked street fighter too. Now that I'm older I'm more into tekken because it's more realistic most of the time. I play as fahkumram alot, I like Marshall Law too but I don't got his play style down yet. In real life my fighting style is probably more similar to Craig marduk but I look more like e Honda from Street Fighter lol

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember that one! Left punch, right high kick, right-left circular punches, low kick. Very kyokushinny! Loved to read that post as I feel the same about Tekken.

Tekken 3 was probably my favourite game as a kid, and I casually grinded the **** out of the fifth installment too (Asuka main because she's the best waifu, with Feng, Lei, Steve, Jin and Baek as secondaries).

Picked up a Nintendo Switch towards the end of the pandemic and it's an absolute joy to game again after more than a decade, even if I suck colossal *** at Smash Ultimate. I have UNICLR and BBTAG too but haven't gotten around to learning them yet. I keep hearing good things about Mortal Kombat but the art direction puts me off completely.

Fighting games have a lot in common with actual martial arts. Apart from the obvious (distance, timing, attacking/defending) games can teach you a lot about how to train and improve. And if you compete against others, you better leave your ego at the door because everybody and their hamster will wipe the floor with you. Then they'll show you the basics and point out your flaws, so you get beaten less. You'll think you know everything then get beaten again. Once in a blue moon you do something right and you realise both how far you've come and how far you are from the top. You watch experts in awe wondering how they can possibly do what they do and knowing about the tremendous amounts of hard work they've put into their art. You also wonder why people take the time to teach you how to beat them. Then it dawns on you: they're doing it because they love this stuff and they just want to keep it alive, and they help newbies so that they have people to play with. It's a dojo.

OP mentioned beat'em ups as well and I have a few of those. Finally beat Streets of Rage 4, I'm almost done with Bayonetta 2 (the first one was fantastic) and enjoying River City Girls 2. Sifu is also on the menu :D
Oh Tekken 3 was gold... I actually really loved the Tekken Force mode (the sidescrolling game add-on), got so much mileage out of that. Even enjoyed the Tekken ball mode too haha.

Tekken 5 I grinded too, loved ranking them up in arcade mode.

Haha, and I bought a Nintendo 2DS during the pandemic!

Very well said about fighting games, and yep, some people are ridiculously skilled at it, but how many hours they invest in it and you understand how they get so darn good! Just when I think I'm pretty good I got absolutely destroyed, multiple times haha

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
My first fighter was mortal kombat 2 on sega genesis. When I was young I always played as sub zero and my brother was always scorpion. Then I saw the movie and I became a big Liu Kang fan and sometimes Johnny cage. Liu Kang definitely inspired me in martial arts. Street fighter I never got the style of play down, I always gravitated back to mk even though I liked street fighter too. Now that I'm older I'm more into tekken because it's more realistic most of the time. I play as fahkumram alot, I like Marshall Law too but I don't got his play style down yet. In real life my fighting style is probably more similar to Craig marduk but I look more like e Honda from Street Fighter lol
Haha ah nice! My favourites were always Jin, Hwoarang, Kazuya, Baek, Paul Phoenix, sometimes Marshall Law, although I did get really good at King at one stage with his ridiculous grappling moves that you link together one after the other! Once you got someone in them, they've got no chance haha

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Haha ah nice! My favourites were always Jin, Hwoarang, Kazuya, Baek, Paul Phoenix, sometimes Marshall Law, although I did get really good at King at one stage with his ridiculous grappling moves that you link together one after the other! Once you got someone in them, they've got no chance haha
I wonder if they got kings grappling chain in tekken 7. I've only played as him a few times in tekken 7. Cool tidbit you probably already know but king was created based on the tiger mask wrestler from Japan.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wonder if they got kings grappling chain in tekken 7. I've only played as him a few times in tekken 7. Cool tidbit you probably already know but king was created based on the tiger mask wrestler from Japan.
Yes that is cool haha. Am not sure, I think there are grappling links you can do, BUT the opponent now has the option to counter it so it's harder to pull off.

OP
T

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes that is cool haha. Am not sure, I think there are grappling links you can do, BUT the opponent now has the option to counter it so it's harder to pull off.
Did you get any cool games for your 2ds? I have mortal kombat forget which one but it was a ds game, Duke nukem, super Mario bros, and the Iron man game. I don't play it much but I think it's cool to keep a 2ds in my bag in case I ever end up somewhere with nothing to do but wait around. I wanted to get a 3ds but not for the prices they are asking. A refurbished one on Amazon is like $300 or more, I only payed $99 for the 2ds back in 2015.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you get any cool games for your 2ds? I have mortal kombat forget which one but it was a ds game, Duke nukem, super Mario bros, and the Iron man game. I don't play it much but I think it's cool to keep a 2ds in my bag in case I ever end up somewhere with nothing to do but wait around. I wanted to get a 3ds but not for the prices they are asking. A refurbished one on Amazon is like $300 or more, I only payed $99 for the 2ds back in 2015.
Ah very nice! I honestly went on a real Pokemon craze and that was my main reason for wanting one haha, as I never got to play any of the newer ones (that is, the ones after Gold and Silver haha). But I got Pokemon Omega Ruby, Zelda Ocarina of Time (currently playing), and Pokemon X.

Gotta say... the Switch is very appealing... one day... when it gets cheaper haha

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Switch is probably my favourite console ever. The hybrid gimmick gives it the flexibility which makes it perfect for me, as I don't often have the chance to play for hours on the TV. With the Switch, I can play on the TV for the odd 1-2 hours session or multiplayer, or handheld on a plane, in an airport, in bed or on the throne :D

And the games catalogue is insane (best on the market IMO), although for technical reasons it lacks AAA blockbusters and fighting games. Might fix that with Switch 2 whenever it comes out.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
The Switch is probably my favourite console ever. The hybrid gimmick gives it the flexibility which makes it perfect for me, as I don't often have the chance to play for hours on the TV. With the Switch, I can play on the TV for the odd 1-2 hours session or multiplayer, or handheld on a plane, in an airport, in bed or on the throne :D

And the games catalogue is insane (best on the market IMO), although for technical reasons it lacks AAA blockbusters and fighting games. Might fix that with Switch 2 whenever it comes out.
Oh wow very high praise.. yeah it's definitely on the list! I tend to be really behind in the gaming world, playing things years after they come out AND take forever to pass them haha.

Latest Discussions