Favorite Kenpo Basic Strike

OP
F

fanged_seamus

Tough choice, but I'd go with the palm heel strike.

While the hammerfist is great (particularly when raking through someone's nose a la Mace of Aggression), the palm heel to the jaw or nose is just as devastating. It's quick and easy to learn. And the fact it can be turned into a claw at the drop of a hat helps....

Just my opinion -- and I reserve the right to change my favorite strike as I learn more advanced techniques.

Tad

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Smash the guys face into outter space!

I know that his doesn't apply to what you said but I couldn't resist.

"Use a brace to prevent your opponents face from extending into space"

Used to illustrate sandwiching

One of Mr. Parker's Quotes, when he said this in a seminar he had a huge grin on his face. I think he was a closet poet.

Rob

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Robbo

I know that his doesn't apply to what you said but I couldn't resist.

"Use a brace to prevent your opponents face from extending into space"

Used to illustrate sandwiching

One of Mr. Parker's Quotes, when he said this in a seminar he had a huge grin on his face. I think he was a closet poet.

Rob

I heard it and liked it too... I wish he were still around.

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by fanged_seamus

Tough choice, but I'd go with the palm heel strike.

While the hammerfist is great (particularly when raking through someone's nose a la Mace of Aggression), the palm heel to the jaw or nose is just as devastating. It's quick and easy to learn. And the fact it can be turned into a claw at the drop of a hat helps....

Just my opinion -- and I reserve the right to change my favorite strike as I learn more advanced techniques.

Tad

You hit the nail on the head baby!!!

I like the right inward handsword from Sword Of Destruction too... After you land the strike you can turn your right palm inward and rip your opponent's ear off too... Now that gets a little nasty doesn't it?

OP
K

kenpochip

I've been pretty much striking with the whole "blade" of the hand for both strikes. It seems that others are not. That would be the explanation I was looking for.

There is a difference in the arm muscles used when I do the handsword vs the hammerfist, which somebody can probably take advantage of. Maybe more of a whipping motion? I am converting from TKD, so the analysis and the basics executions are different. Please be patient with me.

Chip

OP
J

jeffkyle

I really like the hammerfist in Destructive Fans. How you get to wind everything up by going in one big circle and that makes the hammerfist so devastating.

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Nothing like a good ole front ball kick to the Jimmie!!!!!!!!! The acronym KISS comes to mind.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by ProfessorKenpo

Nothing like a good ole front ball kick to the Jimmie!!!!!!!!! The acronym KISS comes to mind.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

My old instructor referred to that as "first line defense".

My favorite "named" strike is the "immortal man pointing the way". My favorite strike is probably the hammering inward block done very dynamically (maybe add in a little slap check to really break'em down).

jb:asian:

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

Clyde will kick your ***!

Clyde will kick your face!

Clyde will kick your balls into outter space!

Yay Clyde!!!

(Pulling your leg dude)

Your Friend,
Billy

OP
J

jeffkyle

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

That one isn't my favorite anymore, not since I kicked a guy there once in a fight (he was on something, drunk, or whatever, but there was alot of it in his system) and all he did was flinch a little. Then he looked at me like he was going to kill me.
I always heard the stories about people on drugs, alcohol, whatever...but i found out for myself it was true.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by jbkenpo

My favorite "named" strike is the "immortal man pointing the way". My favorite strike is probably the hammering inward block done very dynamically (maybe add in a little slap check to really break'em down).

Wouldn't an inward block done the way i think you mean end up being a hammerfist anyway? With maybe a little extra forearm thrown in?

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by jeffkyle

That one isn't my favorite anymore, not since I kicked a guy there once in a fight (he was on something, drunk, or whatever, but there was alot of it in his system) and all he did was flinch a little. Then he looked at me like he was going to kill me.
I always heard the stories about people on drugs, alcohol, whatever...but i found out for myself it was true.

It usually puts just enough cramp in their style long enough for me to shoot a really good elbow afterwards tho LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
K

Kirk

It usually puts just enough cramp in their style long enough for me to shoot a really good elbow afterwards tho LOL.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

That's what I was thinking, but since I'm a beginner, I didn't want
to look stupid and say something. Not specifically an elbow, but
the thought was "doesn't that just open up another target?"
I'm glad you chimed in with this!

OP
J

jeffkyle

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

I am sure that true. But this guy was tall and very long armed. Not that he could have moved fast enough, but if he could have then he still would have got me while i was on the way in.
It would have been like trying to punch a giraffe in the chest while it is blocking you with it's head.

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score

Wouldn't an inward block done the way i think you mean end up being a hammerfist anyway? With maybe a little extra forearm thrown in?

I suppose you could think of it that way,

The question I ask myself is do I think in terms of a line of motion or a path of motion? Do I want to use the squeegee principle to utilize upper and lower case movements, and give myself a greater margin of error, or not?

But I could be wrong...

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I am sure that true. But this guy was tall and very long armed. Not that he could have moved fast enough, but if he could have then he still would have got me while i was on the way in.
It would have been like trying to punch a giraffe in the chest while it is blocking you with it's head.

LOL....funny thing is I train with one of those almost weekly. We have a 4th Black that is 6'5" somewhere around 210+ lbs. I am 5'9". I make the techniques work but it is more diffucult with him.

Michael

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by WilliamTLear

Clyde will kick your ***!

Clyde will kick your face!

Clyde will kick your balls into outter space!

Yay Clyde!!!

(Pulling your leg dude)

Your Friend,
Billy

I guess pulling his leg is better than you pulling his jimmy!:rofl:

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by Roland

And little Billy too.

:rolleyes:

Little Billy? You are mistaken! I wear a big cup and carry a big stick... :lol:

Hasta,
Billy

Robbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Not one I find much oppurtunity to use but I find really neat is the locking out of the elbow after going through the face with a strike and hitting with the inside of the elbow as you straighten your arm. Same thing with the leg (basically buckling), hit with the back of your knee as you straighten the leg.

Sorry about the terminology (or lack of it) I can't recall exactly what term was used for this type of motion.

Rob