Young girls resisting arrest.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good lord ... that's about all I have to say. Hopefully their 'tender' ages won't be too much of a barrier to their getting appropriate sentencing.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah yes, Brooklyn girl-rillas. My buds and I have had our share of run ins with them. Young high school girls who seem to be out at al hours of the night on the train ... many of them dressed as males (man of them gay) and willing to cause trouble with anyone at the drop of a hat. I remember once riding home on the train sitting across from a group of them. They took issue with Rich burping (we were coming from my bud Jimmy's bar), so they unwrapped each other from the mass of PDA across from us to take issue with him for burping while the whole lot of them (about 8) were just all wrapped arms and legs into a giant making out mass.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
They have a bright future, probably raising younguns of their own. God save us.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have major problems with the tactics. Simply, the officers did not escalate force until much too late. When the girls began to resist, the officers became defensive, and allowed them to attack them repeatedly. They never controlled the scene. Honestly -- I'm going to probably use this video as training for how it can very bad very quick; the only fortunate thing here is that none of the girls were armed. The officer who had his baton out should have been actively employing it aggressively as soon as the girls became assaultive, not gotten into a tug of war like I do when my 2 year old tries to wander off.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have major problems with the tactics. Simply, the officers did not escalate force until much too late. When the girls began to resist, the officers became defensive, and allowed them to attack them repeatedly. They never controlled the scene. Honestly -- I'm going to probably use this video as training for how it can very bad very quick; the only fortunate thing here is that none of the girls were armed. The officer who had his baton out should have been actively employing it aggressively as soon as the girls became assaultive, not gotten into a tug of war like I do when my 2 year old tries to wander off.
The approach did seem a little hands off? Why do you think that officer held off for so long? Was he attempting to de-escalate since there appeared to be something of a mob of baying spectators gathered too?

Sanke

Green Belt
Reaction score
The approach did seem a little hands off? Why do you think that officer held off for so long? Was he attempting to de-escalate since there appeared to be something of a mob of baying spectators gathered too?

I'm no expert on these matters, but I get the feeling they were worried about the PR side of things. No matter how justified, LEOs aggressively subduing teenage girls is gonna look bad to a lot of the public, and given the crowd, they looked more concerned with that than anything else.
That said, I could be way off (probably am, knowing me :p), and I'm not really sure I really agree with how the officers handled the situation, but I agree with jks, I think it's a good example of how a simple situation can escalate from something quite mundane to something far worse, crazy fast.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These girls got caught by two LEOs jumping the turnstile and then they went crazy.
No tasers, no pepper spray. Just retractable baton that is used in a defensive way and restraining techniques.
What is just so jaw dropping is how these girls react to the LEOs. They broke the law and attacked the LEOs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...n_fare_caught_on_video_in_subway_scuffle.html

No respect anymore. Whats sad, is they'll probably get a slap on the wrist, which is no punishment at all, and set free, to do the same thing again. Perhaps, instead, they should be locked up for a while. Wishful thinking, I know, but maybe, that'd give them time to reflect on their actions.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more with this! Problem is, the BHC (bleeding hearts club) would probably turn around and say that the cops were over reacting, they used too much force, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. But you're right....IMO, its better to come in strong, and tone down accordingly, rather than go in to easy, and then get in over your head.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more with this! Problem is, the BHC (bleeding hearts club) would probably turn around and say that the cops were over reacting, they used too much force, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. But you're right....IMO, its better to come in strong, and tone down accordingly, rather than go in to easy, and then get in over your head.

I can't say why he didn't escalate. I wasn't there. There did appear to be two officers, and while they were quickly surrounded by a mob (mostly of the teenage girls), their job is to handle business. But it's not a case of needing to come on "strong." You need to be in authority -- and ready and willing to make that authority stick. Especially if you start presenting weapons. Even more so if you've actually been attacked -- and being hit by a woman's purse is most definitely an attack!

Part of it is, I suspect, a lack of confidence in the weapons because they don't practice or train outside mandated activities. Which pretty much means no practice for the majority of cops. Part of it is almost certainly concerns about the crowd and appearances. And part of it may just be shock, whether at any resistance to authority, or because of presumed compliance.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't say why he didn't escalate. I wasn't there. There did appear to be two officers, and while they were quickly surrounded by a mob (mostly of the teenage girls), their job is to handle business. But it's not a case of needing to come on "strong." You need to be in authority -- and ready and willing to make that authority stick. Especially if you start presenting weapons. Even more so if you've actually been attacked -- and being hit by a woman's purse is most definitely an attack!

Part of it is, I suspect, a lack of confidence in the weapons because they don't practice or train outside mandated activities. Which pretty much means no practice for the majority of cops. Part of it is almost certainly concerns about the crowd and appearances. And part of it may just be shock, whether at any resistance to authority, or because of presumed compliance.

While I do see your point, I'm not going to buy fully into the authority statement. Yes, I agree with you...it is a big key, but, when you have little punks like this, they're not going to respect anyone.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I do see your point, I'm not going to buy fully into the authority statement. Yes, I agree with you...it is a big key, but, when you have little punks like this, they're not going to respect anyone.

That's the second part; making it stick. These girls had no respect for the police, obviously. It was time to escalate; if they'd taken the first one to pull away down, quickly and efficiently, there'd have been minimal scene and ruckus, and the others would likely have been much less resistant. The officers didn't seem to be managing the space at all; they got pressed into a kind of corner between the fence and a wall. They persisted in using ineffective tactics; I've been there. This is a combination of the effects of presumed compliance and an OODA loop. You get locked on one approach that's probably worked in the past -- but isn't working now -- and you keep trying the same thing even though it isn't working.

Babook

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't like cops, but I still respect them and their authority. They did not want to do something that would end up on the news. In many cases cops are bullies, in this rare case they were not, probably due to spectators. Don't like what the girls did and I know cops job is not easy, but there is always two sides to everything.