You Suck At Martial Arts

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think most martial artists get the physical exercise part right.

Which has to make you wonder, why some people put so much effort into obtaining colored belts, and can't fight their way out of a paper bag.

I'd recommend Yoga or Pilates to somebody before I'd ever recommend an Asian fighting art. Maybe Qigong if they were ready.

Why do you think that is?
When I see ‘koroddy masters’ on youtube, in coloured keikogi covered in patches and red and white belts, they are invariably obese and look as though a 60 second free-spar would cause cardiac arrest (I have a mental image of that Dilman character with his enormous belly!). It does seem strange that a predominantly physical art is peppered with such unfit practitioners. Is this the case in sports?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m just playing because some people think that as great as Cus D’Amato was, he could turn anyone into Tyson with the right system. I just think that’s a lot of hooey. Same with BJJ MMA TMA etc. All the ingredients count in a recipe. Garbage in, garbage out. Good healthy, hard working, guy with a good coach and a legit training method over a period of time can make a skilled fighter. Remove any one of those elements and the chances of a skilled fighter being the product goes down. Not everything can be taught.
It's not a binary thing. Of course not everyone can be a Tyson. Not everyone can be one of the best in the world at whatever activity they participate in, even with the best coaches and the best system.

But anyone who is willing to put in hard work with a good coach can get to be a lot better than they would have been without doing that effort. In fact, they can usually get to be significantly better than much more naturally talented people who haven't done that training.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
IF you like the Cenobite look, there's this stuff. How it finds me, I don't know but at least it's better than the political ads I'm also getting spammed with.

View attachment 29132
I'm not an elder goth but I have been at it awhile, and frankly this stuff generally only appeals to a younger crowd. The rest of us got our gear at local shops and Salvation Armani, military surplus stores lol.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not an elder goth but I have been at it awhile, and frankly this stuff generally only appeals to a younger crowd. The rest of us got our gear at local shops and Salvation Armani, military surplus stores lol.
when i was about 14 i had my hair spiked up with vaseline..haha didn´t have any fancy gels or at least have money for it. It´s probably why i´m half bald now ..just shave it with an electric razor now :)

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
when i was about 14 i had my hair spiked up with vaseline..haha didn´t have any fancy gels or at least have money for it. It´s probably why i´m half bald now ..just shave it with an electric razor now :)
I never had super long hair but I've kept it pretty short for the last 20 plus years. Gets to be an inch long and it bothers me. Guess I'll never have those flowing locks you see in the movies. lol

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I never had super long hair but I've kept it pretty short for the last 20 plus years. Gets to be an inch long and it bothers me. Guess I'll never have those flowing locks you see in the movies. lol
i had hair like Elvis until i was about 34. Don´t care as i´ve had women say my head is nice shaped & suits it. find it sexy. you know they love a man´s man. A raging Bull :D

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I said skills, but really meant more like traits... things like respect, resilience, honor, integrity, etc.
Oh, thats stuff their parents should have taught.
. I teach Gung fu to adults interested in training hard. If respect and integrity are things they are striving to learn as adults, then I’m not the right teacher for them.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Which has to make you wonder, why some people put so much effort into obtaining colored belts, and can't fight their way out of a paper bag.

I'd recommend Yoga or Pilates to somebody before I'd ever recommend an Asian fighting art. Maybe Qigong if they were ready.

I agree, most of the TMA I have seen around here is lacking any real exercise in the training. Soft and collapsed. I can walk through most of them with little effort. They have no shame.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's not a binary thing. Of course not everyone can be a Tyson. Not everyone can be one of the best in the world at whatever activity they participate in, even with the best coaches and the best system.

But anyone who is willing to put in hard work with a good coach can get to be a lot better than they would have been without doing that effort. In fact, they can usually get to be significantly better than much more naturally talented people who haven't done that training.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.

I’m a perfect example, I’m not as naturally gifted as some of my training brothers but I work harder than all of them. I dont know as many forms as they do but I’m a far more capable fighter than most of them.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Vaseline? Gross. I used Knox unflavored gelatin to put my Mohawk or liberty spikes up in the 80s. They didn’t have blue hair dye then, I used blue stamp pad ink.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, thats stuff their parents should have taught.
. I teach Gung fu to adults interested in training hard. If respect and integrity are things they are striving to learn as adults, then I’m not the right teacher for them.
Yes, I think this is the parent’s and school teacher’s place.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
the best band

my favourit album...

i remember listening to the first song Tank. "Drive my very own Tank & shoot an SLR" little did i know in a short time i would..

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any vigorous physical activity is exercise. And the working toward goals is an important thing for some folks, regardless of the goal, itself.

You just seem to want to complain in the most general terms, without any real basis for discussion.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I see ‘koroddy masters’ on youtube, in coloured keikogi covered in patches and red and white belts, they are invariably obese and look as though a 60 second free-spar would cause cardiac arrest (I have a mental image of that Dilman character with his enormous belly!). It does seem strange that a predominantly physical art is peppered with such unfit practitioners. Is this the case in sports?
Beyond a certain age, it gets progressively harder to maintain a slim figure for some folks. That has little to do with whether they can teach.

Latest Discussions