YOU ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! KKW 17th F.I.C.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I too saw that the USAT was going to host a FIC. While I agree, it is always a great opportunity to train with the excellent GMs of the WTA, I can't help notice that the USAT is essentially jumping on a bandwagon that the USTC started. I guess a good idea is always a good idea regardless of who thought of it first.

But WOW... 2 times the price....

The USTC deal was a very good deal. Almost felt like I underpaid for the experience because it was SO ggreat..

I wonder if the USAT-MAC will come close?? Or will it be like the last KKW-MAC event.... Not that it was bad, just poorly planned. Not enough room, or instructors to interact with the attendees.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The master in Chicago that we are referring to is a great businessman. I am sure that he was a good teacherat some point. He just went too far in my eyes. This seems to be the most difficult part of our business. How do we make good money without selling out? I have seen 5 tkd schools close in my area in just 3 months. They were al good korean instructors, masters and gm's. They were too rigid. The ata schools are making a kiling (krav maga and the new, laughable, ata mma). I run my dojang out of my friends bjj academy and have 96 students. Go figure.
Good instructor + hard work = success!

dowan50

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That was NOT a Kukkiwon Instructors Course.....more to come.

Also the first Seminars were held early in 2010 by USTC, while I did not agree with the sales pitch of tkd is all about numbers and money in the for pay dojang even a comment was made that said if you don't operate like this you belong teaching in a garage however that was the speakers opinion who go put down later by the head coach of the demo team for that state location who after performing a good quality demonstration mentioned oh by the way we do train at my garage and other locations colleges ect.

But education was good and there was a very serious emphasis on PoomSe GM Kwan the head PoomSe Instructor for the KKW was very good and helpful. For the most part it was a wonderful experience and I would continue to do refreshers every one or two years. Interested in seeing who the new instructors will be since the KKW change.

This is a new thing in the US but USTC has its heart in the right place not its pocket book.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The master in Chicago that we are referring to is a great businessman. I am sure that he was a good teacherat some point. He just went too far in my eyes. This seems to be the most difficult part of our business. How do we make good money without selling out? I have seen 5 tkd schools close in my area in just 3 months. They were al good korean instructors, masters and gm's. They were too rigid. The ata schools are making a kiling (krav maga and the new, laughable, ata mma). I run my dojang out of my friends bjj academy and have 96 students. Go figure.
Good instructor + hard work = success!

I think we all have to agree Taekwondo dojangs will always be different and serve different markets, just like we have diverse brands of restaurants, bookstores, clothes stores, etc. serving different customers The said gentleman's model, which he tried to apply to all markets, could never work in some areas. One of the biggest problems with his lecture at the KKW course in Chicago was that he assumed he was talking to a class of naive teenage instructors at a northwest Chicago suburban dojang.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also the first Seminars were held early in 2010 by USTC, while I did not agree with the sales pitch of tkd is all about numbers and money in the for pay dojang even a comment was made that said if you don't operate like this you belong teaching in a garage however that was the speakers opinion who go put down later by the head coach of the demo team for that state location who after performing a good quality demonstration mentioned oh by the way we do train at my garage and other locations colleges ect.

But education was good and there was a very serious emphasis on PoomSe GM Kwan the head PoomSe Instructor for the KKW was very good and helpful. For the most part it was a wonderful experience and I would continue to do refreshers every one or two years. Interested in seeing who the new instructors will be since the KKW change.

This is a new thing in the US but USTC has its heart in the right place not its pocket book.

The first seminars hosted by the USTC was held in 2009. This is where that "master" spoke. The master that spoke about how to make money was a flake caring only about his next bentley payment more than how to do do good training with his own students, which, by the way, he had several break away from him because of his practices.

I have also had several of his black belt kids come into our school to sign up. Their skills reflected that of a student who was pushed through their ranks simply to make money and nothing more. They were the ipidomy of "Congratulations kid, your parents' check cleared. Here's your black belt."

To my knowledge he was not invited back to teach at the 2010 seminars in Chicago.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
But WOW... 2 times the price....

The USTC deal was a very good deal. Almost felt like I underpaid for the experience because it was SO ggreat..

No one will ever stop you for paying more the next time. :) ha.ha.ha..

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The first seminars hosted by the USTC was held in 2009. This is where that "master" spoke. The master that spoke about how to make money was a flake caring only about his next bentley payment more than how to do do good training with his own students, which, by the way, he had several break away from him because of his practices.

I have also had several of his black belt kids come into our school to sign up. Their skills reflected that of a student who was pushed through their ranks simply to make money and nothing more. They were the ipidomy of "Congratulations kid, your parents' check cleared. Here's your black belt."

To my knowledge he was not invited back to teach at the 2010 seminars in Chicago.

As I said, a friend of mine runs a dojang in a neighboring town. He tells me that when he gets this guy's former students, they are ruined for TKD because they've been given a BB after a short amount of training.
Several of us at Chicago 2009 wondered out loud what his students' parents thought as they listened to him say (in front of them, mind you) how he fleeces them! I'm glad to here that some have found a home with you folks.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As I said, a friend of mine runs a dojang in a neighboring town. He tells me that when he gets this guy's former students, they are ruined for TKD because they've been given a BB after a short amount of training.
Several of us at Chicago 2009 wondered out loud what his students' parents thought as they listened to him say (in front of them, mind you) how he fleeces them! I'm glad to here that some have found a home with you folks.

Thank you. I can honestly say it was the teachings that they were receiving, becuase the kids themselves have some great raw talent to work with and they are coming along quite well.

Who is your friend in their area? Might be someone I know as well.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you. I can honestly say it was the teachings that they were receiving, becuase the kids themselves have some great raw talent to work with and they are coming along quite well.

Who is your friend in their area? Might be someone I know as well.

Richard Temmerman in Elburn, IL. He's a good man & a good MA-ist.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So tomorrow I leave for a meet and greet in orange county and then seminar time! Honestly can't wait. My gm passed in 97 and his son quit teaching shortly after. Looking forward to some mat time anspending time with my fellow master instructors. From what I hear there are plenty of people going. More than 60 under 4th dan though. I wonder what their masters and gms will say when they come back doing the poomsae the "right" way.
Derrik kwak is scheduled to be a guest speaker. He runs a large school in simi valley I think. Definatley better than bill cho in the technique department. Used to not llike him cause he tried to steal my employee but now see it as a compliment.
I will report starting tomorrow night. You are awesome!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So tomorrow I leave for a meet and greet in orange county and then seminar time! Honestly can't wait. My gm passed in 97 and his son quit teaching shortly after. Looking forward to some mat time anspending time with my fellow master instructors. From what I hear there are plenty of people going. More than 60 under 4th dan though. I wonder what their masters and gms will say when they come back doing the poomsae the "right" way.
Derrik kwak is scheduled to be a guest speaker. He runs a large school in simi valley I think. Definatley better than bill cho in the technique department. Used to not llike him cause he tried to steal my employee but now see it as a compliment.
I will report starting tomorrow night. You are awesome!

Derrick is a good friend of mine and has definately made an awesome school the "right" way. I was in AWE when I saw what he has accomplished. Yes he has a LARGE school in Simi-valley. You should check it out so you can see what he has done. He definatley will add some benefit to the course and I'm positive he wont ty to tell you to sell HOT CHOCOLATE...

Best of luck and look forward to the update.

Last edited:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Derrick is a good friend of mine and has definately made an awesome school the "right" way. I was in AWE when I saw what he has accomplished. Yes he has a LARGE school in Simi-valley. You should check it out so you can see what he has done. He definatley will add some benefit to the course and I'm positive he wont ty to tell you to sell HOT CHOCOLATE...

Best of luck and look forward to the update.

Yes, Mst. Kwak is a very nice gentleman and a great techer. He opened up a branch school in my town under Mst. Jeon and I was working with Mst. Jeon to help them get things started. I met Mst. Kwak and he was just a very humble and well spoken man. The school that they opened up here gathered 160 students within one year. One of the main instructors at the Naperville school recently did a master's test. Here are the highlights:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I am checked in. There seemed to be some issue with my application. They did not understand why I was taking the course (3rd) again when I am not eligible for my 6th dan til next year. Got that straightened out. Nice room with Jacuzzi for cheap group rate. A former colleague of mine was checking everyone in. He told me that there were over 200 registered. Good to see so many Master Instructors in attendance.
Lunch and dinner were not included in the original price and I had to buy some chits for $60. Aparently no one contacted the catering manager in advance. They tried to sell me a 2nd dobok for $80. Not a bad idea but they did not have it there. Said the would ship it next week. Does not do me much good then, does it? Besides, Mooto/Sang moo sa is my main supplier and I can get the dobok, minus the kkw patch, for around $18. Looked at the ballrooms. Kinda small. Reminds me of chicago but with more people.
More tomorrow.

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Report on the USAT/MAC Kukkiwon Instructors Course :

Let me start by saying there was more positive than negative today. We started the day at 7:30am in a small meeting room. We were split between those over 3rd dan and those who were just here for the one day course (kkw 2nd or 1st or no KKW dan). Took 30 min to get set up for Pic outside in parking lot.
The first class was a lecture on the function and role of KKW. Good history/info lesson by head of World TKD Academy (WTA). Best Quote "We can humbly say that we are the best martial art in the world". I think the Gracies might have something to say to that one...
We were then treated to 3 hours of training "Standard techniques" by WTA trainer, GM In Sik Hwang. He is one of the guys in the new Poomsae videos. This was left out of the Chicago course. Went over EVERYTHING. Stances, kicks, strikes, blocks and the meanings behind said techniques(30 min while in chairs and the rest practicing w/many needing correction). It was a sweat fest. I got many compliments:)

After lunch, which was NOT included as we were led to believe (catered by hotel consisting of hot dogs and hamburgers), we spent 5 hours on Poomsae. We got even sweatier still. Great training. The 6th dans went to a local dojang to practice. I was told by my friend that the talked about poomsae for 4 hours and practiced for 25 min..

After Dinner , which was a little better, we went over the NEW testing regulations w/JW Kang (KKW). FYI : THEY ARE GOING TO START MAKING SIPJIN A 5TH DAN REQUIREMENT. Starting in February, as we were told, only those posessing a KKW master liscence will be able to order KKW certs. Those who have not attended the course will be S.O.O.L.. I think gms will be the exception. They are also going to start revoking dan certs and liscences of those who are found to be not following the new standards and those who are cheating the system by ordering certs for those who can not otherwise get them.
Example : A master or GM owns a couple of schools run by 1st, 2nd or 3rd dans and is not present at their testing but still orders the certs. That master or gm can, by the new rules, have his dan cert/liscence revoked. There would be a trickle down effect to all of his students, students students, etc. All eyes were wide open when we heard that.
The same would apply to those who tarnish the name and image of tkd and those not teachin kkw/TKD but issuing dan/poom certs. The speaker insinuated that Felons would be treated the same. About time if you ask me.

After many questions we went on to the History of tkd with GM JP Choi. OMFG! I almost burst out laughing in the beginning. He started with how life begins, LITERALLY! The struggle between several million sperm to reach the egg. Some are fast, some are slow. The fight their way...Whipping oponnents with their tail....maybe a kick here or there....I cant go on. It was too funny.
He did get to the history of tkd eventually. He covered the history in Korea and in the US. Very detailed. Finished about 20 minutes ago.
First day done and I am beat. Til tomorrow night.
YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Report on the USAT/MAC Kukkiwon Instructors Course :
After many questions we went on to the History of tkd with GM JP Choi. OMFG! I almost burst out laughing in the beginning. He started with how life begins, LITERALLY! The struggle between several million sperm to reach the egg. Some are fast, some are slow. The fight their way...Whipping oponnents with their tail....maybe a kick here or there....I cant go on. It was too funny.
He did get to the history of tkd eventually. He covered the history in Korea and in the US. Very detailed. Finished about 20 minutes ago.
First day done and I am beat. Til tomorrow night.
Great info, thank you so much & please keep us posted. I would really appreciate if you gave us more details on how they presented the history of TKD.

Also can one process KKW Dan applications with just a 4th Dan KKW?
Or do you need a separate KKW Masters license?
If so what is that & how do you get one?

(For instance in the ITF you need to be an 1) ITF 4th Dan or above, 2) successfully complete an ITF International Instructors Course & 3) pay for your International Instructors Certificate, which is serial numbered to an individual)

OP
M

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Great info, thank you so much & please keep us posted. I would really appreciate if you gave us more details on how they presented the history of TKD.

Also can one process KKW Dan applications with just a 4th Dan KKW?
Or do you need a separate KKW Masters license?
If so what is that & how do you get one?

(For instance in the ITF you need to be an 1) ITF 4th Dan or above, 2) successfully complete an ITF International Instructors Course & 3) pay for your International Instructors Certificate, which is serial numbered to an individual)
He went over the original martial arts of Korea that date back 6000 years. talked about how they were all but lost during the Japanese occupation. Told us that originally he learned Karate but then later they added tae kyon moves and radically changed what they were doing to create tkd.
Starting this year you need a 4th dan and a KKW inst. license to process/order up to 4th dan.
You have read this post, right? To get licensed you have to attend an instructors course and pass the physical and written test.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
He went over the original martial arts of Korea that date back 6000 years. talked about how they were all but lost during the Japanese occupation. Told us that originally he learned Karate but then later they added tae kyon moves and radically changed what they were doing to create tkd.
Starting this year you need a 4th dan and a KKW inst. license to process/order up to 4th dan.
You have read this post, right? To get licensed you have to attend an instructors course and pass the physical and written test.
Yes & thank you, as the above post clarified things for me nicely.
I will post a new topic, as not derail this one, with GM Choi Joon Pyo written essay on the history of TKD. I believe he is or was a USAT MAC Commissioner. I think this is the same GM JP Choi that gave the lecture. Please correct me if I am mixed up, OK?

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thank you for the above he also lectured everyone on the fact they were not to be to involved with students helping them related to life issues in fact he stated you are not thier friends don't get involved after 6 pm go home leave it. This was also carried on by anther lecturer in a seperate class delving with psychology, behavior and abuse issue. Some people wanted real answer in how to deal and help and what to do also legal responsibility. The speaker was unqualified and frankly had a hands off aproach. Many people in the class had more experience and did not agree with the speakers aproach and it got so out of hand with discussion that they had to stop taking questions. But there was still alot of useful information for those who did not have much experience running a DoJang especialy with records.

However the discussion was very helpful to many who had questions and made other think to study more.

The whole aspect of the Instructor Manual was very business based

Latest Discussions