Ygkym

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feeling, practicing and adjusting. One can do wing chun punches with gloves on.

joy

You can but your hands aren't going to be as tactile and your not going to cause as much damage to the opponent as if you didn't have any padding on your hands , and if your only inches away from your opponent you need every advantage you can get.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
See, I told you guys he was cantankerous! LOL

...but he's right as usual. Thanks Kamon... you keep the discussion honest.
Haha a cantakerous soul....
I just get frustrated with guys who state that a wing chun punch is better than a boxers punch outright. There is no such thing as the best punch, just the best punch for specific situations.

The wing chun punch works in combination with other techniques. It is not designed to be a power punch which will take an opponent out in one move. It is one of many useful strikes in the wing chun system

I also see that there is discussion on the merits of gloves - I agree that wing chun punches are definately not as effective with gloves on. Most gloves are designed for boxing (lateral and horizontal strikes). So when you d a wing chun punch with them on, the impact area on the hand/glove is wrong. Saying that, small gloves (MMA gloves) do work, mainly because the fingers are free...

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Just a couple of observations, sorry if they're teaching granny to suck eggs.

YGKYM, or "Character Two" stance as my old Chinese sifu used to call it,
Common reference amongst many Wing Chun lineages due to the fact that if you draw a line between the heels and another between the toes you lines form the chinese character for the number 2.

especially the WT branches with our unusual back-weighted stances and steps.

The rear weighted stance isn't unique to the lineages that choose a WT romanisation of the arts name. The Ip Chun lineage for one also teaches the same

simplewc101

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
1. Without a strong SLT stance, you're just as uprooted as what you want your opponent to be. Stance should forever be refined.
2. Gloves aren't to protect your opponents face, they are there to protect your hands. It has mores to do with The impulse moment J=F delta t , than it does with P=FA which deals with surface area. The padding compresses, resulting in t larger delta t.
3. As stated previously, it's not always best to compare punches from different styles, as they are each set up differently and used as means to different ends, or effects on your opponent. My wing Chun pak da may just be a setup to break something the opponent would rather leave intact and end the fight asap.

...or you can carry on about all the tests one should do to make sure the punch is as effective as one may claim.. I'll be punching the bag.
Cheers

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Some of it is ye olde but I too recommend that book. ^^

My sifu always says some things work for some and not for others so I would say science isn't always correct but needs some tweaks for some.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
leg training is one of the core functions of SNT by forcing one to stay in YGKYM for prolonged periods of time.

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many of you go 100% in class but full force punches and combinations are nothing at all like training drills etc imo. Alot of things change.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Folks,
thought I'd throw this out there and see what kind of stimulating discussion came from it.

I know it's a film (part of the attraction to the target audience of any film is technical accuracy) but in "Ip Man The Legend is Born", the Leung Bik character portrayed by Ip Chun asks the Ip Man character if he has completed the Lower body strength training. This was the subtitle translation in English on the DVD I have. I can't quite make out if he says Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma. He goes on to ask about targeted finger which I assume can only be Biu Gee.
Referring to the stance as the lower body strength training can give a different perception of the first form (although any link I am making comes only from my interpretion of the apothacary scene) my question (if I can stop talking in bracketed side notes for long enough to ask it :)

Is this a constructive/appropriate/useful way to think about the purpose of the form?

Leg strength, ability to sink the body weight and the ability to grip the ground are the fundamental reasons for practising YGKYM. The hands don't work without the legs and a good base hence the reason the first form is done whilst standing in YGKYM.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
YGKYM most definitely trains the stance and lower body strength, but the coordination, rooting, and structural stability is gained by training YGKYM.

In the beginning of WC practice, most will not understand how to feel and use YGKYM, they may bend their knees, but legs too stiff, or they lax and straighten their legs, because they have a hard time to feel what it is to be rooted and relaxed, to be relaxed yet release power. In Chinese, they say your joints have to be "open", if it's "closed" the energy doesn't flow. But after understanding it (not going into the qigong or deeper aspects, just speaking on a physical/structural level) it brings understanding of leverage and body mechanics, and the proper use of rooting and mobility.

Someone on this thread had mentioned that boxing punches were more penetrating thant the WC punch. How much power one can put out in a wing chun vertical punch from YGKYM, that depends on many factors, and one shouldn't judge it's good, bad, or what from one person's demo or from limited experience. And, in the end, a punch is a punch, but how powerful it is doesn't depend on the name or style, but whether you as a practitioner were able to apply the principles properly, had timing, structure, etc. What the punch looked like or what it's called is not important. Use the principles to maximize your potential.

WingChunIan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
P.S. Is it acceptable to punch while stepping backwards in WC, if the circumstances dictate?

Absolutely!!! it is important to have the feet on the ground at the point of impact though otherwise all power is lost.

Latest Discussions