WTF President : "New uniforms will further promote taekwondo"

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of the local instructors does that, with a KKW style pullover dobok, and it mystifies me. I think it's weird looking. He's probably one of the best all around Taekwondoin I know though so his fashion sense can go unquestioned...

I believe they do that on the open point circuit, tuck the top into the pants.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am guilty of the tarted up doboks. I can't help it, I like it...

Right now I've only got our federation crest on my left chest, but the dobok I bought has the three Adidas stripes down the leg, three stripes on the shoulders, "Adidas" down the left arm and about fourteen adidas logos wherever they could stick it. I almost bought a Kwon uniform too but I preferred the Adidas. My old dobok has the same crest and "Woo Young's Taekwondo" down one arm and sleeve.
I have one too. It has my former school's logo on the back as a ten inch print, the USA and Korean flags on the left and right chest, the WTF patch on the left arm, my former GM's kumdo federation (the one he started) on the right, and a USAT patch on the left arm below the WTF patch.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I looked into it, reached out and here is what I found out on the status of those wtf poomsae uniforms. They aren't sold in korea. They aren't sold anywhere. The ones used at the last World Poomsae Championships were prototypes that the company wanted to test out under actual conditions. They are finalizing the designs now or have just completed finalizing the designs. The company that has the license spent a lot of money on that license and when the products roll out, it will be hopefully as available as an adidas v neck uniform. It will probably be available at the usual places taekwondoin go for stuff in the US, ken's, best/sang moo sa, vision, dynamics, awma, maybe century. There will be distribution in Europe as well. So patience, and it will be there for everyone to purchase.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Many people have bought them as recently as two weeks ago. Go to the JaCali website and email them.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I looked into it, reached out and here is what I found out on the status of those wtf poomsae uniforms. They aren't sold in korea. They aren't sold anywhere. The ones used at the last World Poomsae Championships were prototypes that the company wanted to test out under actual conditions. They are finalizing the designs now or have just completed finalizing the designs. The company that has the license spent a lot of money on that license and when the products roll out, it will be hopefully as available as an adidas v neck uniform. It will probably be available at the usual places taekwondoin go for stuff in the US, ken's, best/sang moo sa, vision, dynamics, awma, maybe century. There will be distribution in Europe as well. So patience, and it will be there for everyone to purchase.

There was a small selection of sizes/colours available through www.kicksport.com a month or so ago, the official J-Calicu UK distributor. They were due to get a larger range of sizes "soon", but since then the J-Calicu range seems to have come off their site (although it's still listed as a brand they stock).

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
There was a small selection of sizes/colours available through www.kicksport.com a month or so ago, the official J-Calicu UK distributor. They were due to get a larger range of sizes "soon", but since then the J-Calicu range seems to have come off their site (although it's still listed as a brand they stock).

That might have been part of that original batch of prototype dobok. I don't know how different the designs or material will be, but I am told new "finalized" ones are coming out. kicksport probably will be one of the first places to get the dobok. It could be any day now.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I
I am guilty of the tarted up doboks. I can't help it, I like it...

Right now I've only got our federation crest on my left chest, but the dobok I bought has the three Adidas stripes down the leg, three stripes on the shoulders, "Adidas" down the left arm and about fourteen adidas logos wherever they could stick it. I almost bought a Kwon uniform too but I preferred the Adidas. My old dobok has the same crest and "Woo Young's Taekwondo" down one arm and sleeve.
We arent allowed anything on our uniform except one club patch. Even the brand logo of the uniform must be removed if visible. I wanted an adidas uniform at one point but it had adidas logos all over it and I thought the uniform would probably fall apart if I unpicked all the logos :)

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I couldn't find them on the kicksport.com. Do you by chance have a direct link? Thank you.

I just spoke to my contact at Kicksport. They only got a handful in of each of a few sizes, with the idea being that they were promo pieces for the distributors. They decided to open them up for sale to the public and they went like hot cakes.

They are expecting the first major shipment in all sizes, etc in April and they'll go back on the site as soon as they're in stock.

OP
andyjeffries

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the way, I have an instructor account with Kicksport. If any of my US friends want them buying here and sending over (if you have difficulty obtaining them and if Kicksport don't ship internationally), I'm happy to buy them and forward them over.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
They are expecting the first major shipment in all sizes, etc in April and they'll go back on the site as soon as they're in stock.

They will be rolling out more than just poomsae uniforms, but also sparring gear, regular v neck uniforms, and maybe training equipment like paddles as such as well.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I believe they do that on the open point circuit, tuck the top into the pants.
Those that do that have a specific sparring uniform they use (Rek Suit, Top 10, etc.). I have a Top 10 fighting uniform that I use. I really don't tuck in the shirt though. That is just my own preference though.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
By the way, I have an instructor account with Kicksport. If any of my US friends want them buying here and sending over (if you have difficulty obtaining them and if Kicksport don't ship internationally), I'm happy to buy them and forward them over.
I contacted Mr. Lim over at JCalicu. He said they are finishing up the final touches and will be offering them soon. He asked to send him the contact information on who I usually buy my uniforms from, so that he can contact them about distribution. Hopefully we will have a source here soon as well.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
I contacted Mr. Lim over at JCalicu. He said they are finishing up the final touches and will be offering them soon. He asked to send him the contact information on who I usually buy my uniforms from, so that he can contact them about distribution. Hopefully we will have a source here soon as well.

I was under the impression that there were modification on the uniform based on the feed back from the survey sent out to all of the athletes, and coaches at the last Poomsae World. I also was notifiy by the official distributor that their is a small changes in the color, ie. the "tone" and modification to the "function" of the Uniform. There were many complaints that the uniform get busted wide open while the men perform their forms. Also, when it got wet, ie..sweaty, it looks very unappealing to the eyes.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
His exact words were
:)

It's now official: The new design poomsae uniforms will be mandatory for international WTF events. Here's an excerpt of the WTF notice a full version of which can be found through the link below. The design does not seem to change the black belt color to a deep maroon blue as earlier suggested. Also the new rules enforce poom belt colors and poom uniform collars for junior (poom) blackbelts. The WTF also seems to have clarified (yet again) the master, master instructor and grandmaster issue. Masters are 1-3rd dan; master instructors 4th-6th dan, and grandmasters 7th-9th dan.

http://www.wtf.org/bbs/bbs.php?bbs_...ew&PHPSESSID=ada005a867053c90c574e7f6746c3c64

"Following the decision of the mandatory use of the Poomsae competition uniform at the WTF-promoted Poomsae championships at the WTF Council Meeting and WTF General Assembly held in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt on April 2 and 3, 2012, all athletes to participate in the WTF World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships are requested to wear Poomsae competition uniforms according to their Dan or Poom grade beginning in the coming 2012 WTF World Taekwondo Poomsae Championships to be held in Medellin, Colombia from December 6-9, 2012.

WTF-recognized Poomsae competition uniform varies according to the grade of Dan or Poom. Details of the Poomsae competition uniform for holders of Poom holders, Dan holders and Grand Masters holding high Dan. Please see the attached document on Poomsae competition uniforms for Poom holders, Dan holders and Grand Masters. Please be informed `Pho’ on page 13 is not worn at the time of matches."

Latest Discussions