Tae Kwon Do Salute

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I've read that when TKD is taught in countries where the people won't bow (usually for religious reasons), they use a salute instead. I was wondering, what kind of salute do they do? Is just a typical military-style salute, or a more complicated gesture? Can anyone post a picture of Tae Kwon Doists saluting one another?

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Korea, we simply put our right hands over our heart-there was no bow to enter/exit the training floor. We did bow to each other and our training partners.

In Metro-Detroit, we have a large Arab-American population but I don't recall any student not bowing at a tournament. The young ladies do wear a traditional Arab attire underneath their dobok (name of which escapes me). Here is a picture from Master Koubeissi's school: http://www.koubeissitkd.com/Photo Gallery.aspx

Miles

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my TSD dojang, we had a salute. When you entered the training floor, you stopped, you put your right hand (in a fist) over your heart (no bow), then entered. I don't know why this dojang did this. Because we bowed to each other and the instructor. I don't think it was for religious reasons, tho. I have to ask next time I'm there.

But, as far as I know, no one that I know of has a problem with bowing in either of the styles I studied. So I probably won't be much help.

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

My instructor (and father) was an instructor of the Oh Do Kwan which was the Korean military kwan from the late 50's through around 76'.
Being a kwan designated to oversee military training requirements and instructors for overseas armys there was an actual military (finger tips to eyebrows) salute with an attached verbal salutation of TAEKWON!

Also, I have a few friends (Korean Nationals) that are student athletes and university competitors who are members of what is called the ITM (International Taekwon-Do Mission-a Christian Mission Group based out of Seoul Korea) they regularly use the same style military salute with the attached verbal salutation of TAEKWON!

If you check the end of each of my posts you will see that same salutation.

TAEKWON!
Spookey

Latest Discussions