Wrestling vs. Striking

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have finally found my mission for the rest of my life and finalized the right title for my book/DVD (I may just come up a DVD and not the book). After my senior Shuai Chiao brother David C. K. Lin's "Combat Shuai Chiao" book came out, I just don't want to write another Chinese wrestling book and repeat the same material. Since I was a striker before I was a wrestler, I would like to be the "bridge" between the striking art and the throwing art.

The main subject of my book is "how to turn a striking game into a wrestling game ASAP". I'm using the word wrestling instead of grappling here because my book won't cover much ground game.

I will cover the following subjects in my book:

- Big fist.
- Double haymakers.
- Single wrist control.
- Double wrists control.
- Double spears.
- Foot sweep entering.
- Head lock.
- Under hook.
- Over hook.
- Bear hug.
- Waist wrap.
- Single leg,

This book will help a striker to learn some throwing skill and strategy. It can also help a wrestler to learn how to deal with a striker. Do you think book like this will have any value in today's environment?

All comments (positive or negative) are welcomed and appreciated.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have finally found my mission for the rest of my life and finalized the right title for my book/DVD (I may just come up a DVD and not the book). After my senior Shuai Chiao brother David C. K. Lin's "Combat Shuai Chiao" book came out, I just don't want to write another Chinese wrestling book and repeat the same material. Since I was a striker before I was a wrestler, I would like to be the "bridge" between the striking art and the throwing art.

The main subject of my book is "how to turn a striking game into a wrestling game ASAP". I'm using the word wrestling instead of grappling here because my book won't cover much ground game.

I will cover the following subjects in my book:

- Big fist.
- Double haymakers.
- Single wrist control.
- Double wrists control.
- Double spears.
- Foot sweep entering.
- Head lock.
- Under hook.
- Over hook.
- Bear hug.
- Waist wrap.
- Single leg,

This book will help a striker to learn some throwing skill and strategy. It can also help a wrestler to learn how to deal with a striker. Do you think book like this will have any value in today's environment?

All comments (positive or negative) are welcomed and appreciated.

I find that curious. In the Hapkido I learned, most of what we learned about the ground was how to get off of it and back on our feet. I always thought from watching high school and college wrestling that they were trying to get people on the ground for submission holds. Maybe I just need to get out more, or the oriental wrestling arts don't try to do that (other that BJJ)?

I don't know how much you are going to put into the explanation of each on your list, but it almost looks like a pamphlet size more than a book. That doesn't of course, mean it wouldn't be useful and sell. And I have always thought that a certain melding of grappling and striking would be advantageous. Naturally I think grappling should get the emphasis. :)

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think anti-striking techniques are extremely valuable (I prefer anti-striking as a term rather than grappling), and I might just buy this! I've been very interested in Shuai Chiao for a long time but there isn't anyone nearby that teaches it.

Good luck to you!

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
but it almost looks like a pamphlet size more than a book.
The bool will content the following information, the

- head lock will include 25 different techniques (leg twist, leg spring, leg lift, shin bite, inner foot edge sweep, leg block, leg break, outer twist, slant cut, shoulder flip, ...).
- single leg will include 18 different techniques.
- under hook will include 12 different techniques.
- over hook will include 10 different techniques.

The main purpose of this book is "strategy" and not "techniques survey". But you are right, without enough "techniques" to support, it may not be proper. But to cover 400 throws may be too much too. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think anti-striking techniques are extremely valuable (I prefer anti-striking as a term rather than grappling), and I might just buy this! I've been very interested in Shuai Chiao for a long time but there isn't anyone nearby that teaches it.

Good luck to you!
The main content of this book is for a grapplier to deal with a striker, and not for a grapplier to deal with another grapplier. I like "anti-striking" too. The only concern that I have is it may offend a lot of people who train the striking art. Thanks for your opinion. I can still change my mind back.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The main content of this book is for a grapplier to deal with a striker, and not for a grapplier to deal with another grapplier. I like "anti-striking" too. The only concern that I have is it may offend a lot of people who train the striking art. Thanks for your opinion. I can still change my mind back.

In Hapkido, students are taught a lot of defenses against strikes and kicks as well as grabs. Is that not done in your grappling art? I can't imagine why those in a striking art would be offended by seeing someone taught how to defend against strikes. TKD certainly teaches defenses against strikes, but I think primarily by using blocks against the striking or kicking themselves. I can't imagine why they would be offended at learning other defenses unless someone tried to put their art down in teaching defenses. I don't think you intend to do that, but just each other defenses.

I assume you know that in those arts that teach striking and kicking almost exclusively, they tend to be very good at it. They also tend to be very fast. In the Hapkido I learned, we knew that, and for that reason, we had to very fast and accurate ourselves. Even more so because we often move into an attack.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being a bit of a data whore, I would probably give it a go. Was never much interested in Wrestling as a youth, but I find it more interesting these days.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I assume you know that in those arts that teach striking and kicking almost exclusively, they tend to be very good at it. They also tend to be very fast. In the Hapkido I learned, we knew that, and for that reason, we had to very fast and accurate ourselves. Even more so because we often move into an attack.
The idea situation is for the wrestler to attack the striker first. The wrestler tries to get into the striker's space, don't give the striker enough space to generate his fast and powerful punch. When you put your opponent in defense mode, you will have better chance to obtain a clinch. When your opponent tries to block your punch, you can wrap his blocking arm much easier than to warp a fast striking arm.

When your opponent punches at you with lighting speed from all directions, it may be hard to obtain a clinch at that moment. When that happen, a 45 degree downward haymakers usually can "interrupt" your opponent's attack and put your haymaker's arm on top of at least one of your opponent's arms. If you reverse your haymaker, you can get a "reverse headlock" and obtain a successful clinch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And of course just learning to do both is still out of the question?

Grappling does the best anti grappling. Striking does the best anti striking.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And of course just learning to do both is still out of the question?

Grappling does the best anti grappling. Striking does the best anti striking.
You are right! If you don't want your opponent to punch you, you punch him. When he is too busy to block your punches, he won't have time to punch you back. That's a valid anti-striking strategy as well.

If a wrestler cross trains striking, he will never be as good in striking as a striker. If he just uses striking to set up clinching, his limited striking skill should be sufficient. His haymaker is mainly used to interrupt his opponent's attack and not trying to knock his opponent down. The mind set is different.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are right! If you don't want your opponent to punch you, you punch him. When he is too busy to block your punches, he won't have time to punch you back. That's a valid anti-striking strategy as well.

If a wrestler cross trains striking, he will never be as good in striking as a striker. If he just uses striking to set up clinching, his limited striking skill should be sufficient. His haymaker is mainly used to interrupt his opponent's attack and not trying to knock his opponent down. The mind set is different.

Not really.and the idea is the same as combination attacks. In theory you set up throws to lower your oponants defence. Eventually you get something that breaks through. But you use real techniques for that set up.

So I may throw punches to get a throw to work. But they have to be real punches in their own right.

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I may butt in, it is quite nice idea, especially if it is more oriented in entering to transition, since those first two steps are the hardest.
Bait, feint or rushing set ups, action or reaction, there are so many variable.
Anyway good luck and really like the intention put in a strike setup for grappling transition.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But you use real techniques for that set up.
A "set up" can be real if your opponent doesn't respond to it. The moment that you see your opponent moves his arm and tries to block it, it should immediately turn into a "fake". When you use your "solo" attack, you will commit 100% into it. When you use one move to set up your next move, you only commit 30% in your first move. This way you will have 70% energy reserve for "changing".

You can use:

- hook to set up under hook or waist wrap.
- undercut to set up over hook or head lock.
- downward parry to set up arm wrapping.

All those moves will only require that you to commit 30%.

Here is a simple example.

- You throw a punch at your opponent's face.
- Your opponent moves his arm and tries to block it.
- The moment that you see your opponent's arm is moving toward your punching arm, you pull your punch back (if you don't, his blocking arm will push your punching arm away).
- You wait for your opponent's blocking arm to pass, you then punch back from the other side of his blocking arm.

So your punch will start as "set up", change into "fake" (pull your punch back), and then end with a "real" punch.

Here is another example.

- You throw a punch at your opponent's face.
- Your opponent moves his arm and tries to block it.
- You "intentionally" let your opponent's blocking arm to block your punching arm.
- You borrow your opponent's blocking force, change your striking direction, spinning your arm, and change your straight punch into a hook (or haymaker).

So your punch will start as "set up", change into "fake" (change straight punch into circular punch), and then end with a "real" punch.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions