WOW! Susan Boyle surprises the judges!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another fantastic hidden talent from across the pond. Just like the telephone salesman who wanted to be an opera singer and floored everyone with his vocal talent/GIFT...
now Cheeky and utterly charmingly sassy Susan Boyle floors the judges at 2009's Britian's Got Talent.
You'll laugh and you'll cry with joy.
Give a listen... tell us what you think.
(embedding has been disabled) :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Talented Susan looks to have the last laugh

Published Date: 11 April 2009 By SCOTT McANGUS
SHE lives alone with her ten-year-old cat, has never been kissed, and is teased by children in the street. But 48-year-old Susan Boyle could just be the UK's next singing sensation.
Devout Catholic Miss Boyle has been at the centre of a media storm since news emerged of how she wowed Britain's Got Talent judges Simon Cowell and Piers Morgan with her amazing opera voice.

She has now been tipped to win the hit show and the chance to perform in front of the Queen at the Royal Variety Performance later this year.

Speaking to the Evening News from her home in Blackburn, West Lothian, Miss Boyle – who freely says has "never even been kissed" – insisted she was unfazed by the attention.

She said the success of Fauldhouse's singing plumber, Andrew Muir, on the show last year was a driving force behind her audition at Glasgow's SECC in January, which will be shown on ITV tonight. She sang Cry Me a River from Les Miserables and received a rapturous standing ovation, much like Muir did at his audition.

"Andrew Muir was fantastic last year and somebody local going on a show like that definitely inspired me to go on," she said.

"I like Elaine Paige as an artist and try to model myself on her, but it's all just for fun. I love singing. It keeps me going."

The audience and the judges initially laughed at Miss Boyle when she told them she wanted to be a famous artist like Paige and gyrated her hips. But that all changed after her performance, with the notoriously hard-to-please Cowell describing her as "a little tiger" while Morgan called her the "biggest surprise I've had in three years of this show".

Miss Boyle said she was "very relaxed" about the praise, adding: "It's quite an accolade what Simon Cowell said and I didn't really know what to expect. I just went and sang. It would be a dream to have a career in singing and to be on the Royal Variety Performance. I'm very pro-royal.

"I'm looking forward to watching the show, although I'll probably be critical of any mistakes I see, but I'll take it all in good fun. It's only entertainment after all."

Fellow singing sensation Muir said he was pleased someone else from the area was doing so well.

He said: "I've known Susan for quite a while and sang with her a few times at charity gigs and local talent shows in West Lothian.

"She's quite a character and is a really nice woman. I wish her all the best and would tell her to just go for it. There must be something in the water in West Lothian."

Neighbours told how Miss Boyle had been teased by local children who called her names because she lives alone with her cat Pebbles – but added that no-one was laughing now.

One said: "Susan has an amazing voice and is a really lovely person. We're certainly not surprised she has done so well with her singing. She'll definitely make the final and maybe even win it.

"Her voice is lovely and we'll all be supporting her during the show. Hopefully this will stop kids making fun of her because I know it upsets her sometimes, even though she says it doesn't."

Miss Boyle, who is currently unemployed, has always loved the arts and studied at Edinburgh Acting School in the early '90s before she was forced to leave and care for her sick mother, with help from her other eight siblings – of whom she is the youngest. She has also featured in a "madrigal" show at Edinburgh's Fringe Festival with local children performing a collection of poetry and plays.

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/Talented-Susan-looks-to-have.5163658.jp

Terrific story, Caver. Thanks for starting the thread.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now I realize that I should've just named this thread Britian's Got Talent and so can add on these amazing people... this family has a future... I would agree with Simon that the parents need to be more background support for their amazingly talented children.

Check out the Good Evans...
and you will say aww... oh yes you will say awwww
[yt]xjm2i37xSM8[/yt]

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw a small mention of Ms. Boyle yesterday and got to see the performance today.

WOW. Completely freakin' WOW!!

I couldn't stop smiling once she started singing.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Similar reaction from me, SD except that she moved me to tears with the emotion of her performance.

I have an audial variant of what is known as 'Perfect Pitch', which means that when something musical is off-key it is actually physically painful to me - karaoke nights are torture to me, other than when my dad is singing (and even he fluffs it on occasion these days). There were a few parts that were not precisely perfect but it was still a complete pleasure to hear such fine singing.

Of course, we have to remember that such contests are pretty much 'fixed' from the start but who cares when you get to hear such as that?

EDIT: I've mentioned her before here at MT but a friend of my missus is a similar surprising 'vocal package'. Have a listen to some of these 'home studio' tracks and see what you think. The relevance is that she was not considered 'good enough' for X-Factor :faints:.

http://www.myspace.com/0redemption

http://www.myspace.com/gemmasimpson

Last edited:

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw a small mention of Ms. Boyle yesterday and got to see the performance today.

WOW. Completely freakin' WOW!!

I couldn't stop smiling once she started singing.

Apparently, one of the prizes associated with winning this competition is performing before the Queen. What a wonderful underdog story to see this ordinary unassuming looking woman achieve that.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The total look of surprise and awe on the judges faces as soon as she started singing was priceless. Don't judge a book by it's cover right? On note with Gordon, I love underdog stories. :)

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw this last night when I got home from work, 8 1/2 million hits on youtube since the 11th! I was expecting the worst, and was so happy for her to hear her beautiful voice. A really nice thing to see; a beautiful performance!

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's only surprising if one assumes a correlation between talent and physical beauty. Obviously the BGT crowd did. And whoever edited the clip did their best to set her up to fail, what with the "bomp-ee-domp" music they played as they did the character outline before she sang. Sickening, really, but she shoved it right in their smug faces.

"I Dreamed A Dream" is my favorite from LM, and she killed it. Heard talk that she may get a recording contract. Best of luck to her.

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I saw this last night when I got home from work, 8 1/2 million hits on youtube since the 11th! I was expecting the worst, and was so happy for her to hear her beautiful voice. A really nice thing to see; a beautiful performance!
There's already a video article about her trying to cope with her new-found fame on Yahoo.
Goes to show you never can tell.
Just like that awesome telephone salesman who blew everyone away and won top prize singing Opera

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now I realize that I should've just named this thread Britian's Got Talent and so can add on these amazing people... this family has a future... I would agree with Simon that the parents need to be more background support for their amazingly talented children.

OK I'm going to be a party pooper. Son Elliot is the star. I know they want to keep the family together, but the girls can't sing. They want them to basically stand there and look cute. Which...is rather underwhelming for a talent show. But in terms of personality, these folks are insanely likeable...which is refreshing to see. I wish them well, and I hope Elliot has a great future ahead of him.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
so inspiring.

I cried listening to her. And when someone can make Simon Cowell look contrite, and almost giddy......

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK I'm going to be a party pooper. Son Elliot is the star. I know they want to keep the family together, but the girls can't sing. They want them to basically stand there and look cute. Which...is rather underwhelming for a talent show. But in terms of personality, these folks are insanely likeable...which is refreshing to see. I wish them well, and I hope Elliot has a great future ahead of him.

Will be interesting to see. On some levels seeing the family perform together was endearing. I'm normally creeped out by stage parents, pageant parents, etc. This at least felt genuine. In a regular sort of talent show, this sort of thing is delightful.

But as contestants progress, the stakes get higher. Putting the boy out front would be the right thing to do if they are serious about competing.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see. On some levels seeing the family perform together was endearing. I'm normally creeped out by stage parents, pageant parents, etc. This at least felt genuine. In a regular sort of talent show, this sort of thing is delightful.

But as contestants progress, the stakes get higher. Putting the boy out front would be the right thing to do if they are serious about competing.

It was endearing. And they do seem like genuine. The mom has a very nice voice, and the dad was steady. He wasn't as good as the mom but he certainly wasn't "atrocious". I'm more annoyed that the parents were slammed as being worse than the two little girls which were off-key left and right. I'd rather see them perform all together for the uniqueness and bonding, or see Elliott perform alone. But...that's just me. :D