Would you "just die" without martial arts?

B

Black Bear

Some people say that MA is just the greatest thing in their life. They can't understand how anyone gets along without it, or at least, they can't imagine why everyone else doesn't want to train.

I'm not one. On another forum someone asked for advice: he was feeling guilty that he had no motivation to train. This is what I told him:

This may sound crazy, but there are millions of perfectly sane, intelligent people around the world that do not fight or "do MA". They play or coach sports in community leagues, they work on gardens or cars, they have children and raise them. They volunteer, read, and cycle. Some of them even *gasp* watch television. Oh, well you don't want to go there of course... I told him, if this is more than a passing slump, then quit. Go do other things. You'll miss it. Training is wonderful, it'll draw you back.

Are YOU a martial arts fanatic (in your own opinion)? If not, what are your other passions in life? Or what would you do tomorrow night if martial arts disappeared off the face of the earth?

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial Arts kept me out of trouble when I was younger. I had a lot of crap going on in my life, and if it wasn't for martial arts encouragement and the good examples set by my instructors, I would probably be in jail, in trouble, on drugs, or even dead right now.

I think I would have literally "died" w/o martial arts.

PAUL
:cool:

Pacificshore

Purple Belt
Reaction score
martial arts has been a part of me since 14, but if it were all too end right now, i'd find something else. glad i'm not too fanatical about things in life:cool:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I make beer. And I drink it too.

I would just drink more of it if I didnt have to go to training classes.

:drinkbeer :drinkbeer :drinkbeer

OP
K

kenpo12

I become a mental case when I'm not training. If I'm out of the studio for a week or two with an injury or something my mind starts messing with me and I become a spazz. Training keeps me sane.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have left the arts, retired from them , said I would never do them again and guess what I cant stay away,
My wife oncw told me I was a miserable person to be around when I wasn't practiceing. She says it is so ingrained in me that I am a totaly different person when not involved in the arts.
To me it is a part of my life that I now hope i never have to give up. it inspires me to keep trying and learning. It shows me how much can be achieved if a person keeps trying. It allows my to explore how much a person can indure (excercises) without putting my life in danger. It has shown me many ways to do damage to someone and has taught me it is ok to walk away from a fight

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder what I did before I trained in MA. I look at all the time I spend at my school and I can't remember what I did with that time before. If my school was suddenly closed tomorrow, not only would I be out looking for a job, but I think I would continue to train exactly like I do now, just with my instructor to teach me new stuff. It is a part of my life, just like going to work, or eating, or sleeping. I will train until the day I die, probably trying to hold horse stance or something.

7sm

OP
B

Black Bear

Don't get me wrong, MA did great things for me. When I started (the same year I started university) I had lousy body image and didn't train at all. It was because of MA that I got into shape, did weights, etc.

Now, I think it's still the best athletic hobby out there, but I could definitely live without it.

I'm also into Christianity, social justice, and my day job. I like cycling but can't do it here in the winter.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife oncw told me I was a miserable person to be around when I wasn't practiceing. She says it is so ingrained in me that I am a totaly different person when not involved in the arts
I've heard this so many times that I've lost count. My wife has even gone so far as to set up "play dates" with others from the dojo for me on saturday.:D

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Black Bear
Now, I think it's still the best athletic hobby out there, but I could definitely live without it.

...don't think I could...I'd get fat and lazy again. :shrug:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MA is a massive part of my life.

For various personal reasons I should really be moving house at the moment and going to live/workl somewhere else, but I can't bring myself to move away from my school because it means so much to me!

If that's not commitment I don't know what is!

Ian.

OP
R

RCastillo

It would leave me like a vegetable w/o it.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In one word "yes". I've tried to take time off because of my wife's *****ing but I go stir crazy and start hitting things and start to get violent without being able to take out aggression on something legal like Kenpo:D .

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
In one word "yes". I've tried to take time off because of my wife's *****ing but I go stir crazy and start hitting things and start to get violent without being able to take out aggression on something legal like Kenpo:D .

I knew you were off balanced.:rolleyes:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MA is part of my training for the End Times. Along with the tracking, the blade work, archery, and firearms - as well as camo ambush and wilderness skills... When the world goes Kaput, I will be ready.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by upnorthkyosa
MA is part of my training for the End Times. Along with the tracking, the blade work, archery, and firearms - as well as camo ambush and wilderness skills... When the world goes Kaput, I will be ready.

Hey, you're a mercenary!:eek:

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I spent fifteen years training pretty much non-stop in a couple different arts.

I haven't set foot in a studio in four months. I'm taking some time off because I'm totally burned out. When I'm at the studio, I want to be at home, and when I'm at home, its hard to get up the motivation to go train.

I'm taking some time off. I know its not permanent. I love martial arts too much to give them up forever, but right now, I just need a break, mentally and physically. I know eventually, I'll WANT to be back in the studio, and when that happens, I'll know its time to start training again. For now, time for a little break.

rachel

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you had told me a year and a half ago that I'd be doing martial arts, I would have told you you were insane. It is so far into my blood now that not only do I train 4 nights a week(we only have 4 classes for my rank a week) but I help my instructor teach 4-5 kids classes a week and I work behind the desk 1-3 days a week in addition to my full time job at the post office. If I didn't have karate, there would be a gaping hole in my life. I also go into the Dojo on the weekend when we are closed and work out for a couple of hours. I can't get enough!:)

OP
L

LadyDragon

i would definetely find something else to take up my time. I've always been an athelete, so I'm sure I'd go back to playing some kind of sport on a regular basis, but training is my obsession. I love being and hanging out at my dojo. Its where my second family is.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its where my second family is.
And THAT is so often the key to success. I've always been a bit of a recluse and very hard to get close to. Once I left the service there was a great deal of lonliness in my life as I had left my closest comrades behind. Once I began training in martial arts I began to re-form some of those bonds with the people that I train with. They will never be as close to me as my fellow Marines were (different mechanics to the relationship) but they are by far the closest thing I've found. I've tried other "group" type things and they've never given me the same satisfaction.