Would like to learn Kung Fu

Jason Norin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'd like to learn Kung Fu but I am already 28. The reason for it is I find it quite a disciplined martial art. you think it would still make sense if I start now?

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What's stopping you?

I'll put it this way… movies have lied to you. There's no need to start when you're 2 years old… today is better than tomorrow, sure, but there really isn't an "upper limit" to when you can start. It's a personal journey… and there's no end point… simply progress and development. So go for it, and I hope you get what you're looking for out of your experience.

Oh, and for the record, in a very real way, there's no such thing as "Kung Fu"… it's a generic term that refers to hard work, and the rewards/results of such… "martial arts" would be "Wu Shu"… but again, that's not a specific form (there are some largely flashy, performance based arts that use the term "Wu Shu", but as a general term, it's fairly nondescript). A particular system, on the other hand, would mean something to us here… such as Wing Chun, Choy Lay Fut, Hung Gar, Taiji, Xing'i, Bagua, Tong Long and so on. As a result, don't look for "Kung Fu"… look for whatever schools are around your area, and see which one (school, and instructor) that grabs you the most.

OP
Jason Norin

Jason Norin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
wow, thanks for the enlightenment, bro.. And yes, at first I tough in learning the discipline, you need to start at a young age. The only thing that's stopping me now my self doubts, I guess..

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Eh, that's nothing that should stop you…

At this point, you're at a stage referred to as "Unconscious Incompetence"… in other words, you don't know what you don't know yet. When you start, you'll feel uncoordinated, awkward, unsure of what you're doing… which is "Conscious Incompetence"… you know what you're meant to do, but not how to do it. After a while, you'll move onto "Conscious Competence", being able to do what you need to by thinking about it, and focusing on it… eventually, you'll arrive at "Unconscious Competence"… where you don't have to think about what you're doing, it'll just be there for you.

For now, of course, just realise that you're at the start… which is where everyone starts from. You're not meant to be good, great, perfect, or anything else… you're meant to be a beginner. Embrace that! It's great! But most importantly… start! Otherwise, nothing will happen… and you'll never get the benefits you're after.

OP
Jason Norin

Jason Norin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bro, you really encouraged me. Thanks a lot. And you are right when you said no one is meant to be great as a beginner. I will surely take that as an advise from a good mentor..

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're welcome. Feel free to ask any questions here about any potential school you find, but bear in mind that the most important thing will be how you feel about it yourself… so remember to give any schools around you a visit, and see what appeals to you.

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Eh, that's nothing that should stop you…

At this point, you're at a stage referred to as "Unconscious Incompetence"… in other words, you don't know what you don't know yet. When you start, you'll feel uncoordinated, awkward, unsure of what you're doing… which is "Conscious Incompetence"… you know what you're meant to do, but not how to do it. After a while, you'll move onto "Conscious Competence", being able to do what you need to by thinking about it, and focusing on it… eventually, you'll arrive at "Unconscious Competence"… where you don't have to think about what you're doing, it'll just be there for you.

For now, of course, just realise that you're at the start… which is where everyone starts from. You're not meant to be good, great, perfect, or anything else… you're meant to be a beginner. Embrace that! It's great! But most importantly… start! Otherwise, nothing will happen… and you'll never get the benefits you're after.

Good work, you got that one wrapped up in record time : )

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'd like to learn Kung Fu but I am already 28. The reason for it is I find it quite a disciplined martial art. you think it would still make sense if I start now?

Chris covered it pretty well.

Here is a partial list of what is defined as "Kung Fu"

List of Chinese martial arts

And don't let age matter, it's only a number

Last edited:

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Even though I had taken a bit of martial arts before then, that's close to the age (29) I was when I walked into a Kung fu school and both got serious about fitness and martial arts. That was about 5 years ago now and I tell you, while I kick myself for not doing it sooner, it's never too late.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a year, you'll be 29, if you don't start kung fu. Or, if you start kung fu, in a year, you'll be 29.

In other words -- if you have have the desire and interest, what do you lose by starting? Sure, some things will be harder or take more time than if you were still in your teens. Oh, well. Some things will probably be easier, too.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
As time goes on you will someday be 30...40...50
So if you're going to be 50 anyway, better to be there having trained than not.

(when you're 50, you will have 22 years training under your belt...not too shabby)

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
BTW, what MAs are available to you?
Some of the people here might be able to guide your steps toward a decent school.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I really appreciate it..
Welcome to the martial arts Jason.
Just get started. Do it. It is never too late to start. I have a gentleman and a lady in their 60's who started in the past 90 days.
Keep an open mind, leave the ego at the door when you step in the training area, have fun, and enjoy the journey. It will enhance your life.
All the best to you.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I started boxing at 30, don't waste your time. Get to training!

OP
Jason Norin

Jason Norin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I really appreciate your advises and yes, I guess the saying "age is just a number" is true based on what you have said. I would probable take those words as they are coming from actual Martial Arts practitioners..

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's never too late! Danny's comments remind me of a fellow student when I was a color belt in Taekwondo. He'd taken up TKD when he retired, and was I think 67 or 68 when he got his 1st Dan.

OP
Jason Norin

Jason Norin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It's never too late! Danny's comments remind me of a fellow student when I was a color belt in Taekwondo. He'd taken up TKD when he retired, and was I think 67 or 68 when he got his 1st Dan.

I bet he'd beat young wannabe gangsters in his age..

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Age doesn't really matter, mate!

Unless you're terrifically old and have terrible joint mobility, but even then one sees senior citizens practicing Aikido or even Judo, so what's stopping you?

Chris is spot on. Don't listen to silver-screen martial arts movies too much, or the urban legends/myths around Kung Fu. Yes it's nice to be able to start at an early age, but it's definitely not a prerequisite. Kung Fu is an umbrella term for a family of Chinese martial arts, and each differs quite wonderfully. If you're worried about the time it supposedly takes to learn Kung Fu with respect to your age, all I can say is that the journey's a reward in itself. There's nothing quite like personal growth and hard work won by repetitive training over the years as you find in the martial arts. Kung Fu, literally means "Hard Work", so go figure!

"With Taijiquan you'll be able to walk out the door in ten years. With Xingyiquan, you can kill a man in three."

Latest Discussions