Which is best to start with? (tai chi/kung fu)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
lol. I have some videos, but I can't post them because of MT Rules. Totally sucks. I found a video of a guy that talks about Aikido and actual use of it.
Name of youtube video is
Why You MUST MUST MUST do Sparring in Aikido

Here's one video. Hope it doesn't get removed for boosting Seagals career. It's got striking in it.

MODS... If you have to remove the video, please just remove the video and not my comments
Stephen Segal is a killer. Probably the greatest to ever live.

...just ask him.

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'll let someone who trains Aikido and who has actually tried to use their techniques against a sparring partner who punches and kicks because at this point I can tell that you aren't going to believe anything I say.
I personally have seen 6 different 40 year old masters handle me and a guy who was almost an all Navy boxer.
All six had train together since they were children. It might take a decade or more of hard training , but it can be done.

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am interested in starting a martial arts class.
What I am mostly interested in is learning about discipline, self control, defence, but at the same time some physical movement as well. (I’m not so much into the hitting and fighting)
After research I concluded that Tai chi and Kung Fu could work for me. I heard and read that they are quite similar but I am not sure which one to start with. Some people say they go great hand in hand.. but what would you reccommend for someone who has never practiced this at all? Could it be better to start softer with Tai Chi and move up to Kung fu after?
Your advice is thrully appreciated!

Hi Cristina,

It is hard for me to comment specifically about any of these, as I do not have experience with these specific systems. While I’ve done some taiji in the past, I’ve not trained wudang taiji. The Coliseum looks like mostly an MMA gym, which is likely to have a heavy focus on sparring. Their method of Kung fu that they claim is unfamiliar to me, and they describe it as a mix of Kung fu and karate and other things. I am always cautious with such mixed systems, as it seems to me they are often not mixed in a way that makes sense and I wonder if the method was created as an attempt to make up for a lack in depth of understanding. Simply mixing different things together does not automatically make a better result. But as I said, I have no specific experience with the system and it is possible that you could receive quality instruction and training from them.

The third place you mentioned also looks like an MMA type gym which is likely to have a heavy focus in sparring.

For myself, I am more interested in the traditional Chinese martial arts and it looks to me like the taiji school is most likely of those three to offer that kind of training. So if I was to choose for myself between the three, I would go to the taiji school.

However, I would say all three schools are worth your time to explore. Go and see if you can watch a couple classes, maybe they would let you try a class or two for free so you can try it out. Then whichever school seems like the most interesting to you, where you feel the most comfortable with the training methods and the people and the instructor, go with that one. Do not get too attached to the idea of a particular system, as a good instructor is what is more important than the particular system.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Cristina,

Cutting through the chaff that often seems to populate such threads, I believe Flying Crane has summed things up quite well. While ultimately it is important to find a good fit between yourself, instructor and school, the tai chi/taiji school seems like the better choice for the reasons stated.

Since, by the video and website information, the taiji school teaches martial applications, it seems that it may fulfill your needs quite well, if you get along well with the instructors.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Both
Hello everyone.
What I am mostly interested in is learning about discipline, self control, defence, but at the same time some physical movement as well. (I’m not so much into the hitting and fighting)
After research I concluded that Tai chi and Kung Fu could work for me. I heard and read that they are quite similar but I am not sure which one to start with. Some people say they go great hand in hand.. but what would you reccommend for someone who has never practiced this at all? Could it be better to start softer with Tai Chi and move up to Kung fu after?
Your advice is thrully appr

Yamabushii

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
Your advice is thrully appreciated!

Greetings,

I'm a little confused about what you're looking for. It seems you're looking for something without any hard contact or sparring - is that correct? If so, then you probably aren't looking for a martial art and you would be better off with something more fitness- or health-oriented like Tai Chi, Tae Bo, Cardio Kickboxing, etc.

Regarding self-defense, the unpopular fact about it is that it does not necessarily mean you have to learn a martial art. I'd say about 90% of self-defense is non-physical.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm a little confused about what you're looking for. It seems you're looking for something without any hard contact or sparring - is that correct? If so, then you probably aren't looking for a martial art and you would be better off with something more fitness- or health-oriented like Tai Chi, Tae Bo, Cardio Kickboxing, etc.

Regarding self-defense, the unpopular fact about it is that it does not necessarily mean you have to learn a martial art. I'd say about 90% of self-defense is non-physical.
Don't expect an answer, as the OP hasn't been here since 2019. The only reason this thread is visible is the poster before you resurrected it to announce a totally unrelated gym opening

Latest Discussions