Wich style of kung-fu should I choose?

ChasserHUN

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi there!

I want to learn kung-fu. I don't want to compete or anything like that. Just for self defense and discipline.

I took 2 wing chun lessons with one of my friends. I liked it, but he said it was a bit difficult for him at first. He took kyokoushin karate like 10 years ago and compared it to that. I didn't learn any martial arts as of now. He said we should check out other styles of kung-fu too.

There are Ch'ang Dung Sheng Shaolinf Kung Fu, Xing Yi Quan Shaolin Kung Fu, and there are a few other Wing Chun schools as well. I tried to read upon them. Usually what I find is that win chun os more straight forward and easier to master than shaolin kung-fu.

What are your opinions on theese styles? Wich is the easiest to master, and wich is the most effective in your opinion?

Thank you all for your help!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, ChasserHUN.

Here's what you should do. Visit any schools near enough to you that you'll actually be able to go to on a regular basis.

Watch some classes there, not so much the techniques, as you're really not familiar with them right now. Watch how the instructors interact and teach the students, how the students train etc.

Do this a few times, there will probably be different students on different days, maybe different instructors or assistant instructors.

Whichever school you think you would feel more comfortable going to, give it a try. If you can say to yourself, "I think I could go here" that's a great start.

If you do join, don't sign any contracts. And if a school won't let you watch any classes ever, leave immediately.

OP
C

ChasserHUN

White Belt
Reaction score
I actually liked the two win chun classes I took with my friend. He didn't like it that much, because he said it seemed difficult, and he didn't like the instructor that much. We wanted to start training together from scratch. That's why I'm asking, because he wants to check out more. I am ok with checking out other classes as well, but I don't think they will be that much easier.

OP
C

ChasserHUN

White Belt
Reaction score

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Mt chasserHun

1st if you wanna learn kung fu find a martial arts that fit u and if they have a kung fu class go for it.

2nd observe the instructor the way they teach to see if their good

3 observe the student on how they practice

4th ask how much it cost

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is in hungarian, I don't think you would undestand it sadly, but here ya go

Chang Tung Sheng -> Hwang Ching-Zeng (Germany) -> that school.

This make sense now. My SC brother Hwang Ching-Zeng brought Shaolin MA into that system.

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi there!

I want to learn kung-fu. I don't want to compete or anything like that. Just for self defense and discipline.

I took 2 wing chun lessons with one of my friends. I liked it, but he said it was a bit difficult for him at first. He took kyokoushin karate like 10 years ago and compared it to that. I didn't learn any martial arts as of now. He said we should check out other styles of kung-fu too.

There are Ch'ang Dung Sheng Shaolinf Kung Fu, Xing Yi Quan Shaolin Kung Fu, and there are a few other Wing Chun schools as well. I tried to read upon them. Usually what I find is that win chun os more straight forward and easier to master than shaolin kung-fu.

What are your opinions on theese styles? Wich is the easiest to master, and wich is the most effective in your opinion?

I have been teaching my version of American Kenpo for fifty years. I still am fast and strong. I looked around years ago for a style. Only when I gave up for a while, that one day I stumbled across American Kenpo. I earned black belt in Tracy Kenpo and then American Kenpo. Try different styles and then pick one that you enjoy doing and that seems to give you the most in self defense. I look for best self defense for my height and one that interests me. I'm 5'2" and in my younger years, I had to use Kenp several times and it was very effective! So try styles out for a couple of months and then stick to one you like. Good luck!
Sifu
Puyallup

zenfrog

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi there!

I would say find a teacher you feel comfortable with. The material they teach should have realistic defense applications. Do the best with what your area has to offer. It should be enjoyable and make you happy. Good luck on your search!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi there!

Go watch the sparring. That will be the easiest way to understand if they are able to apply their martial arts in any sort of real terms.

And that will be the best indication as to whether their system can be mastered easily or not.

You will also see how their guys perform under pressure. Which will give an indication of their levels of discipline.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Go watch the sparring. That will be the easiest way to understand if they are able to apply their martial arts in any sort of real terms.

And that will be the best indication as to whether their system can be mastered easily or not.
Hate to agree with you on this one. But I would even say look for videos of [Insert Kung fu system] sparring. This will give you some idea about the system over all across schools. But definitely, for a specific school, show up on their sparring day and see if anyone in the school has reached the applications level.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

You will also see how their guys perform under pressure. Which will give an indication of their levels of discipline.
Subtle lol
"Watch the sparring"

At a Kung Fu school.

And don't forget to pet the unicorn you see on the way home as well.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
He might stumble on to some sanda guys or something.
You would be surprised with what you find in a Kung Fu school. It seems that Kung Fu is often a 2nd or 3rd stop for people who have trained in other systems. Even with me, Kung Fu wasn't the first martial art I learned.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You would be surprised with what you find in a Kung Fu school. It seems that Kung Fu is often a 2nd or 3rd stop for people who have trained in other systems. Even with me, Kung Fu wasn't the first martial art I learned.
I never would have thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, me too.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He might stumble on to some sanda guys or something.
Almost every non-tai chi CMA school near me (including the one that I did tai chi at for a time) have on their website schedule "sanda" or "sparring class". I've got no idea how legitimate it is, but they all at least have it. If I were OP, I'd want to see one or two of their regular classes, along with one or two of those classes to see A) how the stuff is being taught, and B) can they actually apply it.