World Master Instructor Training Course

Dragons TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First post!

So, it seems that I just missed the last one by just over a month. Does anyone know when the next one is going to be happening? It seems some of you here have "insider information" on certain things.

I have never been to one of these yet, is it fun? Do they make you do any physical activity or is it just a lecture? Please, if anyone has attended, share your comments on the course.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First post!

So, it seems that I just missed the last one by just over a month. Does anyone know when the next one is going to be happening? It seems some of you here have "insider information" on certain things.

I have never been to one of these yet, is it fun? Do they make you do any physical activity or is it just a lecture? Please, if anyone has attended, share your comments on the course.

I have attended both the ustc and the usat sponsored kukkiwon FIC. The ustc course was more classroom lecture then anything else. The usat course was 3-4 hrs kibon/poomsae, 2 hrs classroom then lunch. We repeated the same in the evening. Both courses were 3 days but there was much more physical training at usat event. The ustc gave us half of the test answers, the usat did not but the test was only half as long.
My opinion? If you need training go to usat event.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
First post!

I have attended both the ustc and the usat sponsored kukkiwon FIC. The ustc course was more classroom lecture then anything else. The usat course was 3-4 hrs kibon/poomsae, 2 hrs classroom then lunch. We repeated the same in the evening. Both courses were 3 days but there was much more physical training at usat event. The ustc gave us half of the test answers, the usat did not but the test was only half as long.

OP
Dragons TKD

Dragons TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Looks like I need to start planning for "vacations" late summer early fall.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Sir: I'm not trying to open up a sectarian war here, but I don't think it's fair to compare the first USTC sponsored Kukkiwon course in October 2009 with the recent course hosted by USAT-MAC. The first USTC KKW course was a pioneering event -- I think the first KKW foreign instructor certification course ever hosted outside Korea. Someone labeled it a 1.0 event, correctly implying that it was a work in progress, which required lots of tweaking. From what I've heard and read, subsequent USTC Kukkiwon sponsored instructor training events were better than the first in terms of physical training and lecture content. Politics and loyalties aside, I think the USTC, to its credit cut the path on which USAT-MAC is now trying to cruise. USTC has also appeared to be more open in it's approach to enabling American instructors of all backgrounds to attain KKW instructor qualification and certification.

What I'm trying to say is: I think it's innacurate to state USA-MAC sponsored training events are better than USTC events. In the interests of full disclosure -- and some on MT already know this -- I am a member of the USNTF -- which could be considered a rival organization of both the USTC and USAT-MAC.

By the way Dragons TKD, welcom to MT.

Last edited:

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir: I'm not trying to open up a sectarian war here, but I don't think it's fair to compare the first USTC sponsored Kukkiwon course in October 2010 with the recent course hosted by USAT-MAC. The first USTC KKW course was a pioneering event -- I think the first KKW foreign instructor certification course ever hosted outside Korea. Someone labeled it a 1.0 event, correctly implying that it was a work in progress, which required lots of tweaking. From what I've heard and read, subsequent USTC Kukkiwon sponsored instructor training events were better than the first in terms of physical training and lecture content. Politics and loyalties aside, I think the USTC, to its credit cut the path on which USAT-MAC is now trying to cruise. USTC has also appeared to be more open in it's approach to enabling American instructors of all backgrounds to attain KKW instructor qualification and certification.

What I'm trying to say is: I think it's innacurate to state USA-MAC sponsored training events are better than USTC events. In the interests of full disclosure -- and some on MT already know this -- I am a member of the USNTF -- which could be considered a rival organization of both the USTC and USAT-MAC.

The first one was actually in 2009 not 2010. He is correct that the first course was mostly lecture. There were a lot of things that did not work well and was changed in 2010 where there was more hands on training and no answers given out that I'm aware of. :) I would be interested in hearing from anyone who may have done both 2009 course and 2010 course and see if there was indeed improvements made.

USTC will be offering another FIC beginning in September. You can see all locations and dates at www.ustaekwondocommittee.com.

OP
Dragons TKD

Dragons TKD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So, there are more than one organization still offering this certification?

Are all of the certifications the same?

If they are the same, I guess I would just want to go to the more convenient date / location.

Thank you for the welcome, Archtkd

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The first one was actually in 2009 not 2010. He is correct that the first course was mostly lecture. There were a lot of things that did not work well and was changed in 2010 where there was more hands on training and no answers given out that I'm aware of. :) I would be interested in hearing from anyone who may have done both 2009 course and 2010 course and see if there was indeed improvements made.

USTC will be offering another FIC beginning in September. You can see all locations and dates at www.ustaekwondocommittee.com.

Sorry for the error on the date. I've fixed it. I think there's someone on MT who posted a note about their experience at a 2010 USTC hosted KKW training event, but I can't recall who it was. DJINX might know something.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sorry for the error on the date. I've fixed it. I think there's someone on MT who posted a note about their experience at a 2010 USTC hosted KKW training event, but I can't recall who it was. DJINX might know something.
No problem. It was my understanding that the 2010 version was done a lot better. The 2009 did have its problems, but it was the first time out and lessons were learned. I do believe it was DJINX who attended the 2010 session.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sir: I'm not trying to open up a sectarian war here, but I don't think it's fair to compare the first USTC sponsored Kukkiwon course in October 2009 with the recent course hosted by USAT-MAC. The first USTC KKW course was a pioneering event -- I think the first KKW foreign instructor certification course ever hosted outside Korea. Someone labeled it a 1.0 event, correctly implying that it was a work in progress, which required lots of tweaking. From what I've heard and read, subsequent USTC Kukkiwon sponsored instructor training events were better than the first in terms of physical training and lecture content. Politics and loyalties aside, I think the USTC, to its credit cut the path on which USAT-MAC is now trying to cruise. USTC has also appeared to be more open in it's approach to enabling American instructors of all backgrounds to attain KKW instructor qualification and certification.

I would have to agree with this statement. I was worried a bit after hearing the reviews from the first FIC in Chicago in 09, but I still attended the Virgina FIC course by the USTC, AND IT WAS MOST EXCELLENT. They truly made every effort to improve the course and they did.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

I am sure that the ustc learned from their first endeavor, just like the usat/mac will learn from theirs. I enjoyed both seminars. There was just more physical training at the usat/mac promoted one. I got more ideas from the ustc event and met more american masters there.

Latest Discussions